climbing skin question

Just bought new skis. Now need new skins. I know you are supposed to get a width that matches the widest part of your ski. What if I just buy skins that are the width of the waist of my ski, i.e. the skin will not be cut to match the sidecut of the ski, but will be straight? I know I will have less traction going up, but is there any other downside?

Thanks.

less grip = more glide

not all bad however why would you choose that route?

I have grippier skins, faster skins (wall2wall in each case) and old school mohair skinny skins for less grip & way more glide.

Ape, thank you so much for starting a new thread to ask questions that have been answered no less than 1,000 times on this forum.

It's all fine and dandy until you're the one sliding on the moderately steep, moderately frozen skin track while every else seems to be managing fine.

I don't think you need skins to match the absolute widest part of the ski, esp. with rocker tips and tails that barely touch the surface, but I wouldn't go with the narrowest.

I am going from some old school skis (i.e. straight and narrow tele) to some wider phatties. I am thinking that I got up the mountain just fine in the past and now I will have more skin underneath me and I'd like more glide. Also, maybe I can save some cashola on the skins if I don't get the widest.

Buy new skins.

Sidehill climbing without skin material on your tips and tails just going to make you a comical clumsy sliding mess. Exposed base knows how to ride switch.

You don't need to go as absolutely wide as the tip but cover the tails.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Does it really hurt people's feelings that things have been covered before? Who gives a fuck. I didn't feel like searching. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Buy new skins.

Sidehill climbing without skin material on your tips and tails just going to make you a comical clumsy sliding mess. Exposed base knows how to ride switch.

You don't need to go as absolutely wide as the tip but cover the tails.
    Good points. Thanks.