Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mike. you did him justice for sure. One of the all time greats . Thanks for posting.
    always forward but never straight

BRAVO TONTON!!!

Skiing hardpack at Mad River and Stowe in the late 80s kept me sane. Schmidt, Plake Hattrup et. al. kept me stoked, wound up tighter than an 8 day clock.

You're watching that again!?!?
    My girlfriend at the time.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Awesome.
    I met Scot Schmidt at a north face poster signing in the Bay Area. when he asked my where my poster was I asked him if he would sign my car instead. He grinned, followed me out to the parking lot and proceeded to scrawl "NEVER DIE! -- SCOT SCHMIDT" on the hood of my '81 Subaru DL wagon with a massive black permanent marker I had brought for the occasion. The car was eventually purchased for $500 cash from a guy in AK, who after taking possession of the car (with 190k miles on it) drove it to South America and then all the way back to Homer AK.

^ Cool story, bro! (seriously)

Mike D, that was awesome! "Never Die"

So great. Used to dress up in my ski gear, step into my skis, then slide them underneath my couch on hot august days and watch Blizzard of Aaaahhhhhs.

You see Plake occasionally, Hattrup is still around, Pehota seems to have stepped back but pops out once in a while - Schmidt just disappeared though, always wondered if he got burned out or what. Loved watching this, he was a serious impact on my life.

Great piece on a great skier. Loved that shot of his Sportsmobile in front of the log cabin. KIR, well okay it is the Yellowstone club :-).

Great piece Mike D . Scot Schmidt is sweet .

that was inspirational.

thanks, mike d!

blizzard was THE reason i moved to tahoe.

so stoked to see schmidt is still living and loving the life!

and chaka... that's an incredible story.
    Still waiting...

I love the comments here that praise him for still ripping and sending it at age 52. That was 2014. I wonder what toll the culmination of all those years, and especially the past 8 years has had on his body, skiing style and outlook. While I am no SS, or even close, I know that the past 8 years have had a huge toll of my body and mind when it comes to how big and fast I am skiing.
    The guy is a legend, probably my favorite skier of all-time, and I wonder whether he is aging like us mere mortals?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

He’s chilling by the fire at the Yellowstone club sipping brandy with billionaires.

I’m sure he’s all good.

Meh on Blizzard of Ahhhs and Schmidt. Dude was ripping Squaw to pieces early 80's in Warren Miller flicks that I destroyed in my VCR. Yeah, Warren wasn't credited for much, but he certainly presented Schmidt to the skiing world before Blizzard.

Not sure how much any of that matters. Segments were good in both films.
    Warrens films were groundbreaking and so we're Stumps.
    Credit to both!

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Not sure how much any of that matters. Segments were good in both films.
    Warrens films were groundbreaking and so we're Stumps.
    Credit to both!
    This ^^^

To me, Schmidt's appearance in 'Ski Time' in 1983 is the beginning of the freeskiing movement - jumping the Palisades on 223cm 910s ;

it is my understanding Stump's videos changed the market - for video and the skiers...

There is a big generation between Warren Miller and GregStump - and a shorter generation between those of us who got to see the year's ski film one weekend a year, and those who watched ski videos though your teens. . .

it is my understanding Scot Schmidt went surfing - for a long time... ( a decade. raised a couple of kids is my understanding )
    the man is exceptionally fit. I doubt he has aged at a 'normal' chronologic rate --

mostly, Thank you, ScotSchmidt.

with great Respect. skiJ

If you've made your way here I suspect you'll enjoy this...

https://www.thepowellmovement.com/li...8-scot-schmidt

And this...

Last edited by fomofo; 05-04-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Name:  Scot Schmidt Steep Techniques.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  81.7 KB

10 years goes by fast. So does 20, 30, and gulp, 40. Whew.

But some things are timeless.

Name:  Schmidt Jump Turn.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  68.3 KB

Bump for this great article with cool pics...

Ski_Journal_Scot_Schmidt_Feature.pdf
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Went on a boys trip w Schmidt to ILL about 15 yrs ago and every turn the guy made was photo worthy

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Meh on Blizzard of Ahhhs and Schmidt. Dude was ripping Squaw to pieces early 80's in Warren Miller flicks that I destroyed in my VCR. Yeah, Warren wasn't credited for much, but he certainly presented Schmidt to the skiing world before Blizzard.
    Agree. Warren made Scot a star and Stumpy made Plake a star. The two together in Blizzard made everyone happy.

I hope to bump into him again. His daughter and grandchild live close by.

Overall probably one of his lesser known films but still totally awesome in its Stumpiness is Siberia. There's a ton of cool stuff in it, but the closing segment with Schmidt and Craig Kelly, and a Seal tune to boot, is fantastic! It's hard to find these days, but he still has it available on DVD at his online store.

Siberia is also included in his Raiders of the Lost Arkives DVD, which also includes Fistful of Moguls.

Stump and Schmidt to me are like Hendrix. Of course things have changed, and technically progressed since that time, but the soul of what they laid down is magical and timeless, and will continue to be discovered, delight and inspire new people forever.

you can view 'Siberia' on youtube -

skiJ

You can't put a YouTube link in a Christmas stocking, fer Chrissake! I mean, I guess you actually could, but that would be pretty cheesy.

We all watch pirated shit on YT and elsewhere, but, c'mon, show some love for the OG!

Name:  Schmidt.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  40.0 KB

Someone need to do a print/poster of that. FKNA rad.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Someone need to do a print/poster of that. FKNA rad.
    Yea, maybe he should do another run of that one.

Just the image without the movie stuff would be sick