Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    6. use a piece of reflectix or foam under the lid.
    Inside surface of the lid or on top?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Yeti coolers are too fuggin' expensive! Seriously. Let market forces introduce other companies with as-good products. Then watch the rip-off price of Yetis come down.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    Yeti coolers are too fuggin' expensive! Seriously. Let market forces introduce other companies with as-good products. Then watch the rip-off price of Yetis come down.
    There's a sucker born every minute!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    There's a sucker born every minute!
    Even more of a rip-off are the other Yeti branded products. $19.99 for a cheap bottle opener with the Yeti logo ? Fuck that, the local liquor store gives away free ones with the PBR logo.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Yeti is a marketing monster. Igloo and Coleman are putting out rotomolds now as well as rtic so yetis day has come. But hey if you need a cool sticker..get a yeti.

Anyone seen one of the Ozark Trail/Wally World ones in person yet? Apparently they are never in stock but at half the price of the yeti its the only way I am buying one on my budget. Have seen several reviews on other forums. If I see one next time I'm at Wal Mart I may just bring it home with me.

Costco in sandy has a rotomolded 54qt (maybe it was 48) I think it was igloo. $89.99

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Costco in sandy has a rotomolded 54qt (maybe it was 48) I think it was igloo. $89.99
    Dang, that is a steal. Guess I know where I'm going tomorrow.

Totally agree that Yeti products are grossly over priced. That said, I have two of their coolers and don't regret the purchases at all. Perhaps some knockoff would perform as well - who knows, but I really enjoy the quality and performance of the Yetis, and it is worth the cost to me.

The travel mugs are what got me hooked to Yeti in the first place. Really nice to have a mug that will still have ice in it one full day later.

Yetis are definitely a functional and cool design, but their markup must be phenomenal, given that coleman and igloo can make a similar cooler for a fraction of the price.

Anybody been following Gopro's stock lately? The big boys and cheap knockoffs are killing them financially.

Both great product inovators and solid advertising platforms, but it will be interesting to see if they are still around in few years. Their high prices made them a lot of money but also made them targets for competition.

I think Yeti will be fine- they're chasing the tailgate market hard. You can get nearly any school or team logos on the coolers now.

Mountainbuzz is a whitewater forum and has some good cooler threads.

I was really impressed with the Galaxy cooler that Pro sent us down the Grand with. They replaced the hinges with a piano hinge and it was bomber AF. We still had plenty of ice when we took out at Pearce. Unfortunately that guy was a classic Durangutan and they went under. I have one of their lunch sized coolers from a GCPBA promotion, and actually getting it was a chore. I'm not sure if anyone else ever picked up his source.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Anyone seen one of the Ozark Trail/Wally World ones in person yet? Apparently they are never in stock but at half the price of the yeti its the only way I am buying one on my budget. Have seen several reviews on other forums. If I see one next time I'm at Wal Mart I may just bring it home with me.
    I've read those reviews too, but haven't seen any of the Ozark coolers. Out of stock everywhere locally and online, but eventually supply will catch up with demand.

Supposedly the Ozark cups and can/bottle koozie things are identical to the Yeti ones. May have to pick one up next time I'm in Wallyworld.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just picked up a 52 QT Ozark at Park City Wally World. Had 2 more on the display when I left, none of the bigger size anywhere in the store that I could find. Also went to check out the Sandy Costco yesterday. They had the ~70ish qt Igloo for 200 but none of the smaller size Skidog mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    105 has replaced my front seat fits great in the hog plenty of room on both sides and an awesome casting platform
    i dig the height

lot easier to underfill a 105 than overfill a 45
    This-

It is pretty easy to justify when you use it as your casting platform too.
    A nice casting platform for my boat would run at least $300, unless I made it myself (which would probably cost me $50 in materials, and $400 in my time)
    The Yeti 45 was a great deal when you think of it that way.

The 65 was too big, the 50 was too tall, the 45 was a little too small, but it fit well.

The best feature? I just throw it in the water when we get to the beach, and let it float to shore. Not one leak.

I would caution you on the RTIC, etc cheap knockoffs. They all have the same problem- they seal too well. The lid suctions in, and 2 people have to pry it open. I have never had that problem with my Yeti. The only precaution I take- when I store it, I always make sure to prop the lid open, so it doesn't suck the lid in. You also should store it with the drain open.

Glad to see that SFB has one. That mitigates the poseur factor right there. I have owned mine for about 5 years though, and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

I would caution you on the RTIC, etc cheap knockoffs. They all have the same problem- they seal too well. The lid suctions in, and 2 people have to pry it open. I have never had that problem with my Yeti. The only precaution I take- when I store it, I always make sure to prop the lid open, so it doesn't suck the lid in. You also should store it with the drain open.
    Good to know. I will keep that in mind about the lid and report back after I get some use out of it.
    I'm on a wife in grad school budget so the OT made more sense for me. Just like I buy last year's gear on sale. If I was buying for a boat I would probably pony up for a yeti. Borrowed my buddy's whitewater rig with a big ass yeti a couple weeks ago, indeed they do make one fine cooler.

Good to know. I will keep that in mind about the lid and report back after I get some use out of it.
    I'm on a wife in grad school budget so the OT made more sense for me. Just like I buy last year's gear on sale. If I was buying for a boat I would probably pony up for a yeti. Borrowed my buddy's whitewater rig with a big ass yeti a couple weeks ago, indeed they do make one fine cooler.
    My boat would not handle whitewater very well. White Walkers either. White sand, yes.

Just picked up a 52 QT Ozark at Park City Wally World. Had 2 more on the display when I left, none of the bigger size anywhere in the store that I could find. Also went to check out the Sandy Costco yesterday. They had the ~70ish qt Igloo for 200 but none of the smaller size Skidog mentioned.
    Sorry man. I came close. It didn't look like there was many. Bet they went quick. Great size for weekends and great price. Glad you found the bigger at least. Sounds like a great price too.

Wife told me I was being too picky. Went to two Costcos looking for a damn cooler and two liquor stores looking for some damn Dale's Pale Ale! Finally she found some for me on her way home from work. She's a keeper.

so next time without missing a beat point out that you ^^ certainly are which is why you waited until you met her
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm a big fan of Yetis. I'm sure the other brands keep ice cold too. I currently have three-a 65, 105, and 110. The oldest is about 9 years and other than some scuffs, is still keeping stuff cold. Yeah, Yetis are expensive but I've always figured if something works and I don't have to think about, I'll buy that brand again. Whatever you get, use good cooler protocol and I'm sure you'll be fine and you might save a few bucks. If I were shopping cheap, I'd look at RTIC. If I wanted to blow some cash and had never owned a Yeti, I'd look at Yeti or Orion. The Orions look really well thought out.

I didn't go through the entire thread so I don't know if it has been mentioned but it might be worth looking at grizzly bear food storage regs. Yetis are certified, I'm not sure of other brands. I camp in some areas that require certified storage containers and I don't always have a truck to throw a cooler in (raft trips). I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for not using a certified container but just another point to consider. Any know of anyone running into this issue?

I always find it funny how people are always quick to tell others how to spend their money.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 06-03-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Another good reason to buy Yeti is that their photographer for their catalogs is an old school Maggot.

Another good reason to buy Yeti is that their photographer for their catalogs is an old school Maggot.
    True, but he gets paid to take pics and their still pricey.

Another old school maggot works for them.

Just curious, but does anybody know where these various new and cheaper coolers are made vs Yeti?

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the Chinese are now in the cooler market. If so, this is typical American consumerism. Some American comes up with a great idea, and the Chinese are soon making a knock off. Anybody know if this is happening?

Happens all the time to my brother who is in the clock design business. They have given up, and just design the clocks and have the Chinese make them. High end to Target, it is all the same.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Most of Yetis are made in the Philippines and China. I believe the US made ones are by order. At least that is what I gather from their site.