Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Yeti vs other super-heavily-insulated coolers

Cooler management...

$20 grocery store coolers aren't worth the $$. Neither are $200 Yetis. For $20 I could replace 5-6 of my small coolers bought at garage sales and thrift stores. For $200 I could replace my 3 big store bought coolers.

Cooler management...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

So basically, this thread devolved into every other thread on TGR; people defending or rationalizing what they already own. Myself included...

^^ Clearly. Bobcat that is what happens here. I have to vouch for the Coleman Marine Xtreme. Relatively cheap. Keeps cold for many days and costs way less than a Yeti.

We don't expect that spending 1.5 times as much money on a pair of skis means they will be 1.5 times better than the rest... we just want the best.

Why is it so different to expect that a moderate increase in performance is not a linear cost increase?
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

X3 on the Coleman Xtreme. Can't remember the model I have offhand. Seems to last longer than others I've used in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yetis are heavy and thus hard to fit in airplanes, but they are theroetically bear proof, which goes a long way... I will confirm they hold ice for a long freaking time.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I might be onto something boys. This puppy is in route back to the states from Cambodia. Saw all the street vendors using them and did some looking around. It's built like a Sherman tank and only cost me $50. $114 to ship full of stuff back to the states. Cheaper than a Walmart cooler and a bomber shipping container for my goods

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1410535382.936053.jpg 
Views:	2094 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	158134.

Crossing my fingers it makes the voyage.

I checked out the Pelican coolers when Costco had them earlier this summer. I didn't realize how heavy these were -- empty -- and how large of a cooler you need to buy in order to get some decent internal space.

I didn't buy any of this sort of cooler; just doesn't fit my needs. Most of our camping now is with a truck camper, which has a 3-way RV fridge -- running it on propane is quite cheap. For the rest of the time, I can make do with the other basic Coleman coolers that I already have.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Which yeti for my Hyde low pro drift boat? 45? 65?
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    The biggest one that will fit.

I've never once heard anyone complain they have too much space in their cooler but I have heard the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    I might be onto something boys. This puppy is in route back to the states from Cambodia. Saw all the street vendors using them and did some looking around. It's built like a Sherman tank and only cost me $50. $114 to ship full of stuff back to the states. Cheaper than a Walmart cooler and a bomber shipping container for my goods

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1410535382.936053.jpg 
Views:	2094 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	158134.

Crossing my fingers it makes the voyage.
    Link?

Available in anything other than red?

I don't know if you can order them by the single. I bought mine while over in Cambodia and shipped it from the post office before leaving. I shipped it at the beginning of September and it finally just arrived a couple weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will check back in when I do. It looks bomber though.

If you googs 'Thailand Ice Chest' there will be multiple companies that pop up. Do some digging and let the collective know what you find out. Perhaps we could organize a group order if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Link?

Available in anything other than red?
    http://www.iceboxescoolers.com/index...tpage&Itemid=2

Give them a try and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Yetis are heavy and thus hard to fit in airplanes, but they are theroetically bear proof, which goes a long way... I will confirm they hold ice for a long freaking time.
    Bear proof only with two padlocks secured. Good if you expect bears, otherwise worthless toughness.

50 quart model weighs 30 pounds! before ice/beer/meat.

Can survive falling off roof at freeway speeds (but I don't allow my coolers to fall off roof so no advantage to me).

I like my coolers light and efficient like the rest of my outdoor gear. I might have to pack it a considerable distance from my vehicle. I do wish the lighter coolers came with efficient lid gaskets though.

I have two relatively inexpensive chest coolers (medium big and big) and they are finally falling apart after 20-24 years so I'm looking for their replacements but the "bomb-proof" coolers are simply too heavy for my liking. I prefer to be able to muscle them around solo.

I've used the same block of ice in my past 3 camping trips in my yeti. Granted these have only been 1-2 nights and in colder temps but pretty impressive.

Come home from fishing and stick the block back in the freezer for the next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    35 fits nicely in my clack, if You can fit a 45 go for it. 65 seems way too big.

Bump

anything to add on the subject? Anyone have thoughts on Pelican vs Canyon? I can get both of these brands cheapish compared to the rest.

Also, for those recommending the Coleman Marine coolers, are they the current models sold at Walmart? I read some reviews about there not being any insulation in the top and am skeptical.

I need to look into this more, but has anyone used 35qt for 3-5 days and felt it was enough room? This will be for car camping or single day floats.

Check out RTIC. Getting good reviews at a much lower price.

I have a ten year old Coleman Extreme. It still holds ice for days on end even in the summer. The only reason to own a Yeti is if you need the bearproof toughness. The marine Colemans are just white versions of their extreme coolers afai can tell.

Rtic and Coleman are both now doing cheaper rotomolds like yeti. Your time is up fancy cooler. If I were choosing now (and I have been browsing too) I'd go rtic.

RTIC softpak ordered... Will report back, but will be a while since it won't be delivered until August...

I will say this... I have 3 of the Yeti metal cozies and they are the absolute shit... Keeps cans and bottles so much cooler for quite a while...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    35 fits nicely in my clack, if You can fit a 45 go for it. 65 seems way too big.
    105 has replaced my front seat fits great in the hog plenty of room on both sides and an awesome casting platform
    i dig the height

lot easier to underfill a 105 than overfill a 45
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

I will say this... I have 3 of the Yeti metal cozies and they are the absolute shit... Keeps cans and bottles so much cooler for quite a while...
    You drink too slow 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    You drink too slow 😃
    Thursday through Sunday no... The rest of the days yes... We spend a lot of time on the lake and when floating around it keeps the beverages cold longer than anything I have used... $30 well spent...

Are rotomolded coolers worth the $? That is for you to decide. If your trips are <1week and <100 degrees, you don't need one. In no particular order.

a. beware of the douchbag factor, it could be you
    b. non roto coolers can be massively improved with some weather striping and two cam straps. We've done test with infrared thermometers
    c. if you by a roto cooler check the latch and hinge configuration for you application. Also check the availability of parts. These will break.
    d. cooler management is way more critical that type of cooler, here are my tips:

1. don't open it!
    2. DONT FUCKIN OPEN IT! use a day cooler, open your big cooler once in the morning and once at night.
    3. only put cold or frozen food or drinks in your cooler
    4. get good ice. Making your own is best. Store bought blocks are usually just compressed cubes with a ton of air.
    5. keep your cooler in the shade. Put a wet towel or something on top.
    6. use a piece of reflectix or foam under the lid.

Ask me how I know. Cocktail ice and t-bones on day 21 of a Grand Canyon trip beats warm beer and pasta.