Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Skiing with climbing helmet?

Short tours, slackcountry stuff I use my Smith Variant and goggles. Regular full day tours or trips I usually use my climbing helmet (black diamond vector) and some shades. Is this okay? I know it isn't rated for skiing but I see a lot of people who do it. And I really could not imagine climbing ice with my skis on my back while wearing my big heavy Variant.

I have heard the Camp Speed helmet is a tougher more "ski mountaineering" helmet but ski doesn't have ski rated specs.

What do you guys wear for helmets while on a long tour or technical ascent / descent?
    Last edited by ctw55; 04-02-2014 at 03:59 PM.

http://www.lastfrontierheli.com/news...local-options/

it would depend on "the look" you are going for
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Some guy wearing a climbing helmet flew past my on the skin track on Saturday. I'm now convinced they make you faster.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    http://www.lastfrontierheli.com/news...local-options/

it would depend on "the look" you are going for
    I want that look.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Some guy wearing a climbing helmet flew past my on the skin track on Saturday. I'm now convinced they make you faster.
    That sealed the deal. boom.

I do it some. It depends on the type of tour for me. I'm in the PNW so when it turns to spring or volcano season that's usually when I make the transition. I had a Petzl Elios and then started thinking about how they didn't offer any side of the head protection so upgraded to a Petzl Meteor. That said I haven't really dinged my head but I think I must look like I know what I'm doing since I have a climbing helmet so I think that's worth something.

Expensive ski helmets like the variant aren't too 'big & heavy' for long tours or outings that require technical climbing IMO - just too hot. I've got a variant, and for spring tours, or any mountaineer-y stuff I just take out the ear pads (you could take out the liner too. Voila - perfect skimo hybrid helmet. Cost to you = $0

Or you could pay big bucks for a super sleek and lightweight skimo helmet ala CAMP, but then you'd have to turn in your 190+cm skis and TGR membership card

I have a camp helmet thats rated for ski and climbing. Pretty light.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I have a camp helmet thats rated for ski and climbing. Pretty light.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums
    The pulse?

I thought this was a thread about skiing in climbing harnesses.

In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I do it when the danger is low and the tour is long. AFAIK, climbing helmets are primarily designed to protect you from rockfall from above. A ski helmet is much better at protecting you from hitting a tree with the side of your head. I'm no expert though.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I'm in the PNW so when it turns to spring or volcano season that's usually when I make the transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by steventy View Post
    I do it when the danger is low and the tour is long.
    Same here. Sweaty long spring tours are way more comfortable in the one-hit-wonder climbing helmet.

I thought helmets were to keep you from hitting your head when the kid on the chairlift pulls the bar down... Why would you want one in the backcountry?

Seriously though, a helmet is better than no helmet. I suppose. Maybe wear a MTB helmet!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Seriously though, a helmet is better than no helmet. I suppose. Maybe wear a MTB helmet!
    I've climbed with people wearing less...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helmet.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	909.7 KB 
ID:	153654

Quote Originally Posted by steventy View Post
    AFAIK, climbing helmets are primarily designed to protect you from rockfall from above. A ski helmet is much better at protecting you from hitting a tree with the side of your head.
    this.
    i never got why people would wear climbing helmets for skiing if they were not actually climbing something steep or skiing in narrow couloirs where stuff might fall on their heads.
    if a normal ski-helmet is too warm (im only wearing mine on the down anyway, so no problems with warmth on the up), it might make sense to use a ilghtweight ski-touring helmet, those arent warm at all because they are designed to be worn on the up as well (no time to put on a helmet at the top in randonnee races). the look is even worse than the one of climbing helmets though, its more like "wierd" than "wannabe-extreme"

freak~[&]

X3 on the fact that a climbing helmet is really only going to protect from rockfall from above. Skiing, you are more likely to hit your head on the side. Sure, a climbing helmet is better than nothing, but if you are really worried about hitting your head, you need a ski helmet.

I don't wear either FWIW.

I've always gone at it this way, with no scientific data to support it, merely comfort and the assumption that each helmet should do something to help:

If I'm primarily concerned about the risks of the descent and any ski related impact I wear a ski helmet. I'll always suffer some sweat or risk of rock or icefall on something not specifically made for them. I've had lots of ice balls ping off my ski helmet with no issue while climbing.

If I'm overwhelmingly concerned about climbing hazards - rock or icefall - I wear a rock helmet and deal with the lack of proper impact coverage on the descent.

If I'm descending an area with lower consequence and am concerned most about factors like weight and sweat I either strip down a ski helmet or wear a mtn biking helmet.

If I want to look super fucken core I don't wear anything. A. Ny. Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Expensive ski helmets like the variant aren't too 'big & heavy' for long tours or outings that require technical climbing IMO - just too hot. I've got a variant, and for spring tours, or any mountaineer-y stuff I just take out the ear pads (you could take out the liner too. Voila - perfect skimo hybrid helmet. Cost to you = $0

Or you could pay big bucks for a super sleek and lightweight skimo helmet ala CAMP, but then you'd have to turn in your 190+cm skis and TGR membership card
    When taking out the ear pads on my vantage, the Boa system comes out with it, making the helmet totally un-adjustable. I am an avid ice and rock climber so I already have the helmets so the money isn't the issue. Was just wondering what sort of impact they are willing to take. I am aware that you don't wear climbing helmets to protect you from a full on fall, you wear them from ice or rock coming from above, or if you take a whipper you have some protection on your dome.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I think the BD Vector is designed for larger impact protection as well as small - it's built with EPS foam, not the older plastic style/hardhat climbing helmets that were almost soleley for rock protection (this is, admittedly, hard to find thanks to the fucking idiots who designed the Black Diamond website around bullshit and not information - for which the idiots were publicly fellated on TGR). Here's the differences - ski helemt:
    http://www.satrappeguide.com/EN1077.php
    climbing helmet
    http://www.satrappeguide.com/EN12492.php

not the best summary but climbing helmets have a more stringent penetration specification.

Quote Originally Posted by ctw55 View Post
    When taking out the ear pads on my vantage, the Boa system comes out with it, making the helmet totally un-adjustable.
    It definitely can be done w/o removing the BOA system (unless something has changed since my 2012? model?). IIRC you've got to unplug the little plastic wires that the BOA hangs from, slide the padding over the top of the wires, and plug it back in. That's all useless info if you'd rather use a climbing helmet, but I find the pad-less vantage to strike a nice middle ground.

http://www.antlersvail.com/wp-conten...2/gapergap.jpg
    I think whats important here is the proper gap.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

fixed it.

Last edited by rabbit; 04-02-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: just a public service to the above post with the failed image insertion...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I think the BD Vector is designed for larger impact protection as well as small - it's built with EPS foam, not the older plastic style/hardhat climbing helmets that were almost soleley for rock protection (this is, admittedly, hard to find thanks to the fucking idiots who designed the Black Diamond website around bullshit and not information - for which the idiots were publicly fellated on TGR). Here's the differences - ski helemt:
    http://www.satrappeguide.com/EN1077.php
    climbing helmet
    http://www.satrappeguide.com/EN12492.php

not the best summary but climbing helmets have a more stringent penetration specification.

Just what I was looking to hear! Thank you. I spoke to some people today who said the same exact thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I wonder what Rog has to say about this.....
    Wull uh............

rog

Quote Originally Posted by ctw55 View Post
    What do you guys wear for helmets while on a long tour or technical ascent / descent?
    I don't wear a helmet, except where there is a rockfall danger but a climbing helmet won't offer you much side impact protection. Had a ski buddy who blew a turn on hard snow and hit the side of his head, I think he had a Meteor, killed by the impact to the side of his skull. I'm thinking a climbing helmet may increase your chance of injury due to risk compensation.