FKS / Pivot Adjustment Range and Downward Pressure

So I decided to go down a shell size and now have a 10mm shorter bsl. My forward pressure with the new boots is now correct about halfway between the last band of the adjustment range and all the way in. So I'm obviously outside of the range, but not all the way in either. I found another post where the OP was in all the way, and was told too much downward pressure (from the arms being all the way in) would wear notches into the heels of the boot.

The skis these bindings are on will be used less than 10% of my days skiing. Should I worry about the wear to the boot (or something else?) and remount the heels, or just forget about it and go skiing?

Here are pics before and after adjusting for the smaller boot.

Before:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00172-20140329-0803.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	437.2 KB 
ID:	153504.

After:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00175-20140329-0805.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	544.4 KB 
ID:	153505

Should be fine. I've had fks mounted like that for 100+ days with no issues.

The issue here is that the FKS heel only has 14mm total adjustment range, so generally +/- 7mm from the BSL they were mounted for. If your BSL is truly 10mm smaller than before, you are likely going to need to re-mount to get the forward pressure adjusted correctly.

At the very least have a shop torque test the new boot in the binding: it is possible that the marked BSL is different than the actual one and your adjustment got things dialed in, but better safe than sorry with bindings.

I would take to a shop and ask them to release test them.

Perhaps your last mount had the heel a few mm back of center giving you more than -7mm. In that case maybe they will be ok.

Thanks, my question assumes that the forward pressure is set correctly. (I'm pretty sure it is, the dildo doesn't move at all when I twist it lightly) In that case, I was wondering if there would be abnormal wear to the boot, or perhaps the adjustment arms are partially past the threads in the other direction and aren't fully engaged, more wear and tear on the heelpiece, different release properties, etc.

Gone Skiing's are adjusted like this with no issues, and I've seen pictures of other Pivots adjusted like this, so I'm guessing it will be fine as is. I'll get them retested, but if they test OK, is there anything else I should be concerned with? It is, after all, still outside the marked adjustment range.
    Last edited by MRR11; 03-30-2014 at 07:17 AM.

If the points on the end of the dildo are digging into the boots then it will wear marks into the boot. Should be able to see when clicked in.

Clamps test out fine, and the points of the heel cup aren't digging in any differently than a pair of PX bindings, so I think I'm all set without having to remount the heels.

Just FYI I'd measure both boots. I have a tecnica Cochise measures 332mm and an older rachiele flexon measures 326mm. They are EXACTLY the same size. Don't know how that works but my guess is that all manufacturers aren't measuring from the same spots?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using TGR Forums

Yeah I've noticed that too. Before ultimately going down a shell size in my Nordicas, I tried a Tecnica in the same shell size but with a narrower last. Both marked as 305 bsl, but I was surprised at how much I had to adjust the heels for both Pivots and other bindings -- several turns for probably 2-4mm shorter on the Tecnicas. But once I downsized, I went with the same boot just one shell size smaller and one model year newer, so they're likely being measured the same way.