Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

PSA: Support your local shop

This is just a rant, but a guy just came in and I gotta get this off my chest.

So this guy comes into the shop I work at. Small, locally owned backcountry / bike shop that's been around forever... like, 45 years.

The guy is looking at the shovels. He's going on a hut trip in Europe in a few weeks and he needs one. So we chat for a but about them and he's got one picked out that he's seen online. He asks if we price match, and I say Sure, we'll see what we can do. He says Amazion has the shovel for $45. Ours is $70.

So we go check cost on it. Cost is $45 so we won't make as dime if we sell it to this guy. Boss and I decide to offer $50 so we can at least make SOMETHING on it.

I go and tell the guy that we can do $50 on it and he says "Oh. Nah... I mean, Amazon has it for $45 so I'll just get it there."

Seriously? $5?

A: You're sending that money somewhere else instead of your local economy.

And B: You're going to waste all of the energy to ship a shovel halfway across the country.

...Because you wanna save $5... And probably less when they ding you for shipping as well.

Stuff like this just blows my mind. I don't get it. But whatever.

Support your local shops. They usually price match as good as they are able, and you're helping your economy out as well.

I understand that everyone is penny pinching and in this day and age it's easy to find out who's selling what the cheapest, but c'mon man...

Quote Originally Posted by nicolaib211v View Post

So this guy comes into the shop I work at. Small, locally owned backcountry / bike shop that's been around forever... like, 45 years.

The guy is looking at the shovels. He's going on a hut trip in Europe in a few weeks and he needs one. So we chat for a but about them and he's got one picked out that he's seen online. He asks if we price match, and I say Sure, we'll see what we can do. He says Amazion has the shovel for $45. Ours is $70.

So we go check cost on it. Cost is $45 so we won't make as dime if we sell it to this guy. Boss and I decide to offer $50 so we can at least make SOMETHING on it.

I go and tell the guy that we can do $50 on it and he says "Oh. Nah... I mean, Amazon has it for $45 so I'll just get it there."

Seriously? $5?

A: You're sending that money somewhere else instead of your local economy.

And B: You're going to waste all of the energy to ship a shovel halfway across the country.

...Because you wanna save $5... And probably less when they ding you for shipping as well.

Stuff like this just blows my mind. I don't get it. But whatever.

Support your local shops. They usually price match as good as they are able, and you're helping your economy out as well.

I understand that everyone is penny pinching and in this day and age it's easy to find out who's selling what the cheapest, but c'mon man...
    considering the company that makes the shovel is undercutting you, who is the beef with?

Some brands protect distributors, others/most don't care about anything once the bottom line is met….
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I completely agree! What some people do not realize is that by not supporting local shops they will quickly lose the service they expect. Want your bindings fixed? Too bad, the ski shop closed down. Want to buy a sweet tall tee? Too bad, cuz Douchebags Shop of Infantwear went bankrupt. Want a massage with a little extra? Too bad, cuz shovel guy saved $5 buying pocket pussy online and now Helga's Handjob Emporium only has tanning booths. Get it together you cheap fucks! Seriously, I'm being serious.

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Spons...-com/29271.htm

Amazon Corporate Llc has filed 2911 labor condition applications for H1B visa and 792 labor certifications for green card between fiscal year 2011 and 2013. Amazon Corporate was ranked 20 among all visa sponsors. Please note that 90 LCA for H1B Visa and 24 LC for green card have been denied or withdrawn during the same period.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

oh yeah baby!! save that $5 but go to Europe. SAVING$$$$$$!

Anyways, I always try to buy at a ski shop as opposed to online. Great to see local business succeed.
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Amazon Corporate was ranked 20 among all visa sponsors
    Surprised they're not higher.

Holy shit though...

Microsoft Corporation has filed 12248 labor condition applications for H1B visa and 7724 labor certifications for green card between fiscal year 2011 and 2013. Microsoft was ranked 3 among all visa sponsors. Please note that 324 LCA for H1B Visa and 1435 LC for green card have been denied or withdrawn during the same period
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

shovels are expensive when they have the cool sticker on them.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    I completely agree! What some people do not realize is that by not supporting local shops they will quickly lose the service they expect. Want your bindings fixed? Too bad, the ski shop closed down. Want to buy a sweet tall tee? Too bad, cuz Douchebags Shop of Infantwear went bankrupt. Want a massage with a little extra? Too bad, cuz shovel guy saved $5 buying pocket pussy online and now Helga's Handjob Emporium only has tanning booths. Get it together you cheap fucks! Seriously, I'm being serious.
    Much love for this post. Seriously!

I just love it when someone comes in for a warranty issue on an item they bought online just save a few bucks.

They walk out wondering why i wouldn't pay them much mind

rog

which skis should i buy to meadow skip with my 1 year old?
    b

my favorite is when someone comes into a shop with a warranty issue......

now if you would have bought that product from us, we probably would replace it with something we have in stock, right there.... BUT since you went with amazon, we'll still help you out, but we're going to have to ship it to the company, wait for them to evaluate the warranty and then wait for them to ship back a replacement. and that's what the company reps tell us to do. AND a lot of companies won't allow customers to ship warranty issues directly to them so they have to go through a shop. all to save a few dollars

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    I just love it when someone comes in for a warranty issue on an item they bought online just save a few bucks.

rog
    finally rog and i agree.....

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    my favorite is when someone comes into a shop with a warranty issue......

now if you would have bought that product from us, we probably would replace it with something we have in stock, right there.... BUT since you went with amazon, we'll still help you out, but we're going to have to ship it to the company, wait for them to evaluate the warranty and then wait for them to ship back a replacement. and that's what the company reps tell us to do. AND a lot of companies won't allow customers to ship warranty issues directly to them so they have to go through a shop. all to save a few dollars

finally rog and i agree.....
    Or when folks come in to try on boots and are dumb enough to tell me they are gonna pro deal them after i've already wasted 15 minutes of my time helping them.

I will tell you this, quite a few of them prolly ordered the wrong size boot

Think i'm kidding?

rog

Wonder what big expensive piece of planet killing shit he was driving, come to that.
    Or how big a piece of Real Estae he has up there...and in other places too ("free & clear").
    How many kids has he saddled us with, happy to pay for them to go to College and learn how to be Entitled Assholes.
    Connect the dots? Step back & look at the big picture? No way, this is 'Merika!

Oh well. Could have been worse. He could have been a sled-neck eh?

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

braaapers wait till end of season sales event
    b

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post

rog
    It's ridiculous how much this happens.

If you buy something from us, I'm more than happy to help you out.... But if you got it online and are brining it to me to get fixed, welp... Looks like I've got time to take a look at it late next month.

Hugh Conway Guest
    with that attitude no wonder people showroom you guys.

bet they do a great race tune.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    with that attitude no wonder people showroom you guys.
    fuck em.

they'll pay one way or another. mail order it and do their own frustrated inaccurate paper jig mount or oven heat mold with "awesome" online advice. or, they'll buy online and be smart enough to pay me 40 bux to mount or mold correctly. or they'll buy from me, most likely get a free mount/mold and any warranty help they'll ever need in the future, no questions asked.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by nicolaib211v View Post

So you are in Big Sky eh?

There is no shop in Big Sky that has been around for 45 years. GAS or GO?

Otherwise I do support the local shops.
    Last edited by Bunion; 03-28-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Mister Man! Mister Man! Mister Man. They left this card.

the last time i was in my local shop i decided i should buy something impulsively just to pay my respects. i couldn't find anything < 25 bones to waste my money on. may be a factor in the equation.

manufacturers don't protect the shops by protecting prices….why all the beef with the customer?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    manufacturers don't protect the shops by protecting prices….why all the beef with the customer?
    I totally agree. I've been in specialty retail for a long time. Aside from undercutting, my industry has varying taxes from state to state. This makes it impossible for brick and mortar in a high tax state to compete with mail order company based in a no tax state.

I used to get mad at the customer. But then I started noticing how badly we were being fucked by the manufacturers. I'm not sure if this is true in the ski industry, but the mail order/website end of the industry is owned by the manufacturers.

They sell directly to the consumer at better prices than they offer us. And this is after they got to be successful thanks to retailers pushing their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard7763 View Post
    They sell directly to the consumer at better prices than they offer us. And this is after they got to be successful thanks to retailers pushing their product.
    that's fucked up! I remember last year when patagucci started a massive 60% sale in the middle of february fucking dealers!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    which skis should i buy to meadow skip with my 1 year old?
    b
    Downhill boards.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

It's quid pro quo. I'd you want service when you really need it you'll need to be a customer they know, especially in the middle of ski/bike season. Some beer and Christmas cookies go a long way. Our local shop knows I buy skis out of gear swap, but also buy lots of stuff there.

They know the game. I know the game. We both play it and are friends.

Here's a plug: competitive edge ski and bike. Western mass. 2 spots. Good people.