Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Congrats dood. You’re gonna need another hobby when she splits in Sept
    Decisions Decisions

Big ups Buzz and ACinPDX. So darn great.

We still waiting on a slew of schools…but already have a full tuition offer from U of A engineering school, which is stinking huge. Want to see what UDub, Cal Poly SLO, Boulder, and a few others come in with. Still waiting….
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Awesome Tap! Stoked for you too!
    Full ride, wow, huuuge accomplishment! Congrats.

It’s a little crazy waiting to hear about scholarships after acceptance but my daughter also did not have to commit this quickly. So we are still hopeful for at least some aid. Instate at $11k/yr or so is much easier to stomach though compared to her first choice of University of Washington at $50k with at-max $8k/yr financial aid.

Logistics are very easy for this choice too, 25 minute drive from here. And Trax is a quarter mile from here.

And she sticks around for a bit longer. She’s our only child. So yep, gotta definitely figure out a new hobby.

Nice, Tap…that’s got to feel good for her!

You gotta be stoked she’s gonna be close, Buzz. I am not ready to send this kid away. She’s the most evolved Tap in the household, simply an amazing human.

Look at us…proud Dads
    You know what to do

Tap ... Congrats man! You'll have to tell us all what free tuition feels like. That's a nice $120K/4 year bonus right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    You gotta be stoked she’s gonna be close, Buzz. I am not ready to send this kid away. She’s the most evolved Tap in the household, simply an amazing human.

Look at us…proud Dads
    Lovin it, Cheers my man!! 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post

It’s a little crazy waiting to hear about scholarships after acceptance but my daughter also did not have to commit this quickly. So we are still hopeful for at least some aid. Instate at $11k/yr or so.
    My daughter was awarded the Flagship Scholarship to the U! We are so proud of this kiddo.
    $7k a year will certainly help the cause.

University choice

Nice damn work!

Thing#3 wants to go to WPI but their offer is expensive. $10K more a year than UVM, $2K more than Clarkson, $5K less than RPI. He really doesn't want to go to UVM or Clarkson. A bunch of kids from this town go to Clarkson stong relationship with the local HS. I can't write a check for any of it, it all gets borrowed by someone.

9 more tuitions checks left out of 3 kids. I'll be able to afford lunch in 3 more years !

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    9 more tuitions checks left out of 3 kids. I'll be able to afford lunch in 3 more years !
    My eldest graduated this past December, middle kid graduates next spring, but the youngest goes *in* this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    My eldest graduated this past December, middle kid graduates next spring, but the youngest goes *in* this fall.
    That's my exact situation. Kid 3 is finishing first year and I'm so happy cause' it's only one at a time now.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Thing#3 wants to go to WPI but their offer is expensive. $10K more a year than UVM, $2K more than Clarkson, $5K less than RPI. He really doesn't want to go to UVM or Clarkson. A bunch of kids from this town go to Clarkson stong relationship with the local HS. I can't write a check for any of it, it all gets borrowed by someone.
    If he wants to go to WPI, I'd encourage him to do so. $10k per year is certainly a lot of money, but $40k in extra debt honestly isn't that big a deal if you're getting an economically useful degree from a good, well-connected school - which WPI is. His interest in RPI and WPI suggests what he's focusing on to me and those are pretty lucrative careers. I wouldn't worry might about student loan debt in that case. Obviously if he doesn't finish or transfers to become an art major it might be an issue, but going to a place like WPI will likely set him on a path where debt service isn't a big deal.

UVM is also a good school and if you stick to the same path I'm sure you'd do well, but the median earnings of a CS major that started WPI 10 years ago (so 5-6 years into their career) are $109k, while a UVM student starting the same time with the same major is earning a median of $65k. Now, I'm sure there are some selection effects involved, but when the extra debt is less than median difference in a single year's salary, I'll take on the debt.

Edit: My salary information is from the US Government's College Scorecard. Salary information is drawn from students who received federal financial aid, so not a perfectly representative set of students but probably the relevant one if you qualify for any subsidized student loans.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That's my exact situation. Kid 3 is finishing first year and I'm so happy cause' it's only one at a time now.
    It was nice only having one in... for a single semester.

My kids are almost exactly the same ages.

My kids are almost exactly the same ages.
    I think we've gone over this before... at T-Tips.

22(almost), 21(almost), and 18.

Your poor wife (21 1/2 years ago).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Your poor wife (21 1/2 years ago).
    You're not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    If he wants to go to WPI, I'd encourage him to do so. $10k per year is certainly a lot of money, but $40k in extra debt honestly isn't that big a deal if you're getting an economically useful degree from a good, well-connected school - which WPI is. His interest in RPI and WPI suggests what he's focusing on to me and those are pretty lucrative careers. I wouldn't worry might about student loan debt in that case. Obviously if he doesn't finish or transfers to become an art major it might be an issue, but going to a place like WPI will likely set him on a path where debt service isn't a big deal.

UVM is also a good school and if you stick to the same path I'm sure you'd do well, but the median earnings of a CS major that started WPI 10 years ago (so 5-6 years into their career) are $109k, while a UVM student starting the same time with the same major is earning a median of $65k. Now, I'm sure there are some selection effects involved, but when the extra debt is less than median difference in a single year's salary, I'll take on the debt.

Edit: My salary information is from the US Government's College Scorecard. Salary information is drawn from students who received federal financial aid, so not a perfectly representative set of students but probably the relevant one if you qualify for any subsidized student loans.
    Ya, I know a lot about UVM. Too much. Middle kid is there now and 3rd gen on my side, 2nd Gen on my wife's side. Thing#2 wishes he'd gone somewhere else but made the decision based on least debt possible. He's living at home and commuting right now. He's committed to seeing it through, which is commendable. He wants to stay in VT and would be happy as a hands on engineer at one of the manufacturers in the state. Thing#3 wants to GTFO of VT, so WPI [or RPI] fits that plan. They're both doing/going to do mech engineering. I'm the UVM CS degree holder in the family and the wage thing is real.

I'm senile and spend most of my time yelling at clouds now that I'm not yelling at the kids. 24, 20, 18.

I'm senile and spend most of my time yelling at clouds now that the brain cells have fully atrophied.
    Finished that for you.

University choice

Daughter heading to Cal Poly SLO to check it out. Admitted to Aero Engineering (1,885 applicants, 80 spaces available - 4.2%). I got a feeling shes gonna want to be a Mustang.
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post

Look at us…proud Dads
    Every right to be! Congrats Tap and the rest of you proud dad's!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I'm senile and spend most of my time yelling at clouds now that I'm not yelling at the kids. 24, 20, 18.
    Ha!!
    Step kid 1 (36, 2 kids), Step kid 2 (33, 2 kids), My boy 27, 1 kid). These are the prime cloud yelling years riser4 let's not waste them lawn bowling!!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!