Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 179
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

    Reed quit filling out the USNews college poll 20+ years ago because it led to schools manipulating the poll and evidence that the rankings didn't exactly reflect the poll. So USNews punishes Reed by lowering their ranking which the stat students investigated. Anomalies were published. That's one reason Reed has started to publish the results of the NSF WebCASPAR, amplifying that PhD success is a valuable measure. By average income of graduates, Reed doesn't do so well because so many grads would rather do stuff that impassions them, rather than makes them a lot of money. At this stage of life, when I see lots of ugly, bitter, lost money chasers, I think that's a decent choice.
    Hah, I knew that Reed dropped out of giving them data for the rankings. I didn't realize that there were other shenanigans beforehand.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,904
    Most of my current friendships were development in college. I had no clue about what to do after school except that I had a large debt. In observing my friends from school, I see adult life choices mostly focused on whether they had college loans to pay off. I have several friends that were extremely resourceful and had their education paid for via scholarships and work/study programs and several friends that had no loans, scholarships, or financial aid because their family fully paid their way. Those friends w/o college debt all had a freedom to explore life after college in a way that I and other friends did not feel comfortable doing. My most “successful” friends exited college w/o owing anybody $$.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Most of my current friendships were development in college. I had no clue about what to do after school except that I had a large debt. In observing my friends from school, I see adult life choices mostly focused on whether they had college loans to pay off. I have several friends that were extremely resourceful and had their education paid for via scholarships and work/study programs and several friends that had no loans, scholarships, or financial aid because their family fully paid their way. Those friends w/o college debt all had a freedom to explore life after college in a way that I and other friends did not feel comfortable doing. My most “successful” friends exited college w/o owing anybody $$.
    This has been a major goal of mine for my kids since they were born. I want them to have the freedom to dream and take chances as young people without huge boat anchor student debt holding them back. Oldest just finished with zero debt and second will have very minor debt. I can't help them much more financially after under grad but I'll always have a bed and a plate of food available for them.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,785
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I went to med school at Michigan. No climbing gym there (or anywhere else in 1972) but the building had stone walls so we brought our shoes and worked out traverses between classes.

    What's the community college situation in Oregon? In CA CC's are a good gateway to the UC campuses including Cal and UCLA. Might be an option for someone who's not sure. Assuming he can go farther in math at a CC than he has already gone in HS. Nobody (grad and professional schools) cares much about where you do your first 2 years of college.
    Transfer credits show as transfer credit T with no institution noted so they wouldn’t know if it were from a CC. The credits were accepted by the subsequent institution as valid. That’s one if the benefits of the CC transfer system in cal.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tech Bro Central
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    and if iirc, you, if you take it that way. Because my comment was more aimed at the dudes there, like :: :: son would be

    souble edit: my comment was based on the shitty way women were treated there, if that wasn’t clear. That’s not good for men to learn.

    edit: when I worked for the navy, the resources the NA had were amazing in their depth and how little they were used. And the whole point of this was women re out achieving men in higher Ed and many stem programs are still dick dominated.
    Sorry -- I misinterpreted. I thought you were suggesting that the women themselves were "Ewww".

    You are welcome to insult me and the way women are treated in tech in general. It's a fucking disgrace.

    Although on a possibly bright note, both of my daughters are recent CS graduates with 1-3 years experience in the workforce, and they both claim that they haven't personally felt the shitty treatment. The data certainly doesn't show it, but maybe things are getting better?

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    9,508

    University choice

    Buster is right, US News rankings are built on bias and junk data. After listening to this, I’m inclined to encourage my kids to attend an HBCU.

    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000527176172

    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000528056451
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,717
    Any Americans send their kid to college abroad? My neighbor went to grad school in Belgium and is dead set on sending his kid to school somewhere in Europe.

    I have one of those 529 college savings plans for my kids. Not sure I can use the money oversees or not, but hopefully flexibility in the 529 laws improves by the time my kids are college age.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tech Bro Central
    Posts
    3,096
    Responding to the O2P -- my daughter graduated from UC Santa Cruz last year with a double major in CS and math. Both programs are solid. She built a really good foundation of CS skills there. I'm less qualified to judge the math part, but from what I could tell it was similar level.

    However, In contrast with my other daughter who got a CS degree from MIT, Santa Cruz daughter had to hustle to get herself on the internship & employment train. Tech companies recruit hard at a small number of "elite" schools and pretty much ignore the rest. I hired one of her UCSC classmates and made an offer to another. They both had similar experiences finding internships and jobs. Not impossible, and maybe not even really hard compared to the rest of the world, but opportunities weren't just there for the plucking like they are for MIT kids.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,465
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Any Americans send their kid to college abroad? My neighbor went to grad school in Belgium and is dead set on sending his kid to school somewhere in Europe.

    I have one of those 529 college savings plans for my kids. Not sure I can use the money oversees or not, but hopefully flexibility in the 529 laws improves by the time my kids are college age.
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  10. #160
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,105

    University choice

    Two friends’ kids are doing a gap year. One is doing his last year of HS in Uruguay as a language immersion program [he actually covered his credit reqts early so effectively had graduated]. The other graduated in the spring and has no interest in being at a hybrid online/in person university so he is traveling. He visited Iceland & Ireland and is now in France.

    RE: studying abroad. I think it’s a great idea, especially for those students that aren’t on a professional track that may be required for grad or licensing in their field. I put Cambridge’s Trinity College in front of my kid to see what he thought since their math department is ridiculous. [I can’t afford it w/out scholarship assist, but whatever…]

    RE: 529, not sure if it’s stipulated as domestic only…quick google says “at eligible international schools or universities”

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Two friends’ kids are doing a gap year. One is doing his last year of HS in Uruguay as a language immersion program [he actually covered his credit reqts early so effectively had graduated]. The other graduated in the spring and has no interest in being at a hybrid online/in person university so he is traveling. He visited Iceland & Ireland and is now in France.

    RE: studying abroad. I think it’s a great idea, especially for those students that aren’t on a professional track that may be required for grad or licensing in their field. I put Cambridge’s Trinity College in front of my kid to see what he thought since their math department is ridiculous. [I can’t afford it w/out scholarship assist, but whatever…]

    RE: 529, not sure if it’s stipulated as domestic only…quick google says “at eligible international schools or universities”
    Daughter was set to go to India for a semester but it was shut down due to covid. Both my kids have been hoses in many ways for the last 2 years. My daughter wanted to stay home last year and attend Portland State to take some online courses but her uni announced no transfer credits for online classes. The real shitty thing is they have a billion dollar endowment and still made the financial decisions to say fuck you to their students when trying to save a few bucks and still stay engaged academically.
    One more year and I can afford to eat two meals a day gain !

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,870
    I suggested foreign schools to both my kids, but my son didn't really want to be far from home.
    My daughter however will only consider Cambridge, not Oxford since MI6 only hires from Cambridge.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  13. #163
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,105
    She’s gonna be a 00x?
    Ambitious

  14. #164
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,105
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    The real shitty thing is they have a billion dollar endowment and still made the financial decisions to say fuck you to their students when trying to save a few bucks and still stay engaged academically.
    I hope they at least drained the PPP program while they were at it

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,202
    Now I just want to know how you guys who are looking at these schools got your kids to a place where this is even a discussion.

    Sounds like pretty good parenting to me. Any tips for someone a decade plus away from these conversations?

  16. #166
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,105

    University choice

    We got lucky is the short answer.

    School is emphasized in our house. A lot of reading to him & involving him in our conversations, but the kid demonstrated facility with numbers early. Depending on whether he is using his powers for good or evil at any given moment, I tend to claim the genes that allowed him to be a performer or else blame the spouse.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3,882

    University choice

    Nm
    Last edited by EWG; 09-27-2021 at 08:24 AM.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Now I just want to know how you guys who are looking at these schools got your kids to a place where this is even a discussion.

    Sounds like pretty good parenting to me. Any tips for someone a decade plus away from these conversations?
    Pick the right partner. I'm just a few iq points from a half wit so actual parenting credit is 90% my wife. My main contributions were shuttle driver and short order cook.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    She’s gonna be a 00x?
    Ambitious
    You have no idea.

    She has binocular dysfunction, can't control her eyes well enough to read well. Grade school was hell, with vicious little kids calling her retarded and refusing to play with her.

    So we yanked her from public school in 4th grade and homeschooled her until one day 3 years ago, she said she was tired of all the delinquents and sociopaths in the home school coops (usually either some sort of religious fundamentalist or expelled from public school).

    So we told her we supported her and we there for her, but it was going to be rough. She had not gotten the basic skills she needed in homeschool, particularly in math.

    So, she went back. There were lots of tears and evenings of self doubt and lots of handholding and hugging, but she gritted it through and fought and kept at it. And got straight A's.
    Now, she is on a mission. It takes a lot of my evenings, but the motivation is all hers.

    There is nothing in my life that compares to the feeling of seeing her realize that she's not retarded and the world is her oyster.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Now I just want to know how you guys who are looking at these schools got your kids to a place where this is even a discussion.

    Sounds like pretty good parenting to me. Any tips for someone a decade plus away from these conversations?
    We got rid of the TV shortly after #1 appeared. Read every night and several times a day to each of them. Cultivated favorite books and themes. The only amusements were books, paints, toys. No media. Kept video games out of reach until teens.

    My son is slightly Aspergers and has always taken to reading and being intellectually vicious. Kind of a classic nerd, except he like to ski.

    My daughter just decided out of the blue to attack school with every fiber of her body and soul after we tried to give her other things at which she could excel, typically non intellectual.

    I never bitched at them, only praised achievements, whatever they were. I also maintain that grades are not important, only passion and interest. If I could give my children anything, I'd choose a passion or interest in something constructive over all the money in Wall Street.

    Overall, I don't think I did that much other than the TV and video game thing. All their achievements are their own.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    You have no idea.

    She has binocular dysfunction, can't control her eyes well enough to read well. Grade school was hell, with vicious little kids calling her retarded and refusing to play with her.

    So we yanked her from public school in 4th grade and homeschooled her until one day 3 years ago, she said she was tired of all the delinquents and sociopaths in the home school coops (usually either some sort of religious fundamentalist or expelled from public school).

    So we told her we supported her and we there for her, but it was going to be rough. She had not gotten the basic skills she needed in homeschool, particularly in math.

    So, she went back. There were lots of tears and evenings of self doubt and lots of handholding and hugging, but she gritted it through and fought and kept at it. And got straight A's.
    Now, she is on a mission. It takes a lot of my evenings, but the motivation is all hers.

    There is nothing in my life that compares to the feeling of seeing her realize that she's not retarded and the world is her oyster.
    FKNA !!!!! Your kids gonna kill it in life with that kind of resilience and determination.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    FKNA !!!!! Your kids gonna kill it in life with that kind of resilience and determination.
    I may be a collateral casualty.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    16,293
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Any Americans send their kid to college abroad? My neighbor went to grad school in Belgium and is dead set on sending his kid to school somewhere in Europe.

    I have one of those 529 college savings plans for my kids. Not sure I can use the money oversees or not, but hopefully flexibility in the 529 laws improves by the time my kids are college age.
    My kids are dual US-CAN citizens. Thing #1 went to the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton for undergrad. She's back there for their accelerated teaching degree program. We saved a bunch of money. She didn't want to go to school in Quebec, so McGill was out which is a shame because before covid she could have almost commuted if she had to. She had the grades but not the desire. She loves UNB.

    Thing#2 looked at some Canadian schools and ended up at UVM. He was into U of Guelph for a hot second. He didn't have the grades for U of T and possibly not Waterloo either. The latter also has a rep for being a hard brutal slog, plus they charge a fortune for engineering majors. McMasters was up there on the list too for a second. They have a research reactor. He did consider UNB just to annoy his sister. He also wanted a school on the smaller side of medium, around 10K students, +/-.

    Thing#3 is totally opposed to going to school in Canada. He's sick of the cold and wants to go to school where it's warm.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Near Perimetr.
    Posts
    3,797
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Any Americans send their kid to college abroad? My neighbor went to grad school in Belgium and is dead set on sending his kid to school somewhere in Europe.
    One thing to take into consideration is what kind of individuals the offspring are? Intro/Extroverts, have they been traveling a lot, focused or tangential?
    This is prolly one of the critical aspects of studying abroad: The individuals have to be rock solid, go getters. The safety networks are way different, even in countries like Netherlands, UK or Germany. I mean the usual stuff (health care, accommodation, SS card, Uni bureaucracy) can be complex in the aforementioned countries (and Scandinavia) but, FRA/SPA/IT it can is a different ballgame. That alone can take cut from the time & energy budget itself, which will affect the mental well being and studies. The other thing is the cultural differences, not only social but also academic. The academic one can be mitigated to a certain extent by preparing (and accepting) the differences but the social differences can be problematic.

    My own take is that assimilation to the central European culture can actually be easier than to Scandiland.

    Why?

    Well, this is only my take but US peeps seem to be "quite" social and environments that are chaotic-yet-social are easier to adapt to than to the Scandinavian aloofness, even if the education itself might of higher standards. Mileage will vary, obviously. Interacting almost daily with students from different continents and the spectrum how people settle is wide, obviously. Individuals that are autonomous and from "challenged" backgrounds seem to find their tempo easier, but individuals from more shielded backgrounds, not so. The common trait seems to be amongst the ones that prosper, is the "I am making my own life" Go-Getters that don't even plan to return. The individuals that are escaping something, the clueless or those who (or their parents) have misjudged the reality, seem to have the hardest time: The Return is just behind the corner. The missed internships, contacts and the lives of their previous peers from can be a nagging demon. If they fail to rack up on their CVs / resumes / contacts on the old continent, proper, they can be at disadvantage when they return.

    This is not to discourage to anyone to go abroad, on the contrary. But there are more than few things to take into account, imho.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Overall, I don't think I did that much other than the TV and video game thing. All their achievements are their own.
    I don't agree with that, sorry Buster.
    Parents and their attitude are absolutely crucial part of the upbringing. Your kids are frigging blessed to have parents like you, wish that even a fraction of the kids, disadvantaged or not, would have a shadow of your wisdom & awesomeness. Carry on.

    The floggings will continue until morale improves.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,785
    Good time for the boys to go to college

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ol-11630948233

    Men are abandoning higher education in such numbers that they now trail female college students by record levels.

    At the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5% of college students, an all-time high, and men 40.5%, according to enrollment data from the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit research group. U.S. colleges and universities had 1.5 million fewer students compared with five years ago, and men accounted for 71% of the decline.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •