Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Go to the Naval Academy in Annapolis. No mountains, lots of water, etc..... Plenty of options when you get out with the five year commitment - if he is way into engineering go split atoms and run a nuclear plant on a submarine or aircraft carrier, be a Marine, regular ships, fly planes (longer commitment). Only five years - get great hands-on experience. They have quite good engineering there.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Go to the Naval Academy in Annapolis. No mountains, lots of water, etc..... Plenty of options [snip] if he is way into engineering
    i did the week long preview session back in the day when looking at schools
    my takeaway was you can do tons of different things at the Academy but you would graduate with two majors: leadership & engineering

cool place & tenure track for interesting jobs, but you need to be a good fit because the Navy has specific needs & they don't really make many exceptions

https://igp.ethz.ch/

ETH Zurich (English: ETH; Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich; German: Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich) is a public research university in the city of Zürich, Switzerland. Founded by the Swiss Federal Government in 1854 with the stated mission to educate engineers and scientists, the school focuses primarily on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.[4] Like its sister institution EPFL, it is part of the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology Domain, part of the Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research.[5]

In the 2021 edition of QS World University Rankings, ETH Zurich was ranked 6th in the world, placing it as the second-best European university after the University of Oxford. In the 2020 QS World University Rankings by subject, it ranked 4th in the world for engineering and technology (2nd in Europe) and 1st for earth and marine science. Also, ETH was rated 8th in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2020.

ETH Zurich has a world-class reputation in academia and industry.[citation needed] As of 2020 there are 22,200 students from over 120 countries, of which 4,180 are pursuing doctoral degrees.[6]

As of November 2019, 21 Nobel laureates, 2 Fields Medalists, 2 Pritzker Prize winners, and 1 Turing Award winner have been affiliated with the Institute, including Albert Einstein. Other notable alumni include John von Neumann and Santiago Calatrava.[6] It is a founding member of the IDEA League and the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and a member of the CESAER network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETH_Zurich

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Good time for the boys to go to college

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ol-11630948233

Men are abandoning higher education in such numbers that they now trail female college students by record levels.

At the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5% of college students, an all-time high, and men 40.5%, according to enrollment data from the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit research group. U.S. colleges and universities had 1.5 million fewer students compared with five years ago, and men accounted for 71% of the decline.
    so there are only two genders in college? interesting
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I’m gonna bump this one

The kid is a junior this year so we’re talking about college

for clarity, it’s me & mrs ::: ::: mostly, not the kid…he’s somewhat ambivalent for the moment…he is somewhat of a procrastinator so it’s not yet risen to the front of his preparation/research radar. Mrs ::: ::: is a total nerd & academic go-getter so she keeps bringing up the rigorous programs. I keep leaning into where can he have a life in addition to good academic programs. He has the intellectual chops to go to a big name, but, as a white male from a comfortable family who doesn’t do any extracurricular stuff, he’s not necessarily that competitive as a recruit beyond academics.

He is likely looking at a math major, also physics; MAYBE engineering but he always seems to list it as a concession option when we talk about this. He’s doing Calc BC as a junior and seems to be the class curve-wrecker for now.

OR State is the easy answer, esp as he doesn’t yet seem to be super ambitious. In-state. Cheap. Solid but not epic programs. Let him go graduate somewhere name-brand when he gets his direction nailed.

He will say Cal Tech if you ask his preference. I think that opinion hinges on there being a climbing gym there, coupled with the math/physics reputation, but it’s a semi-serious opinion at best. And his chances seem slim TBH.

So, asking the collective…what western schools with reasonable proximity to the mountains for skiing/climbing offer reputable math/physics programs?

Or, if you are in or came out of a math heavy program, what is on your radar for solid programs irrespective of mtn access?
    Here we are, a year later…application time

The kid is more pointed at a Materials Engineering track and was super excited after a visit to School of Mines so that seems to be his target right now.

He is currently down at LO high school taking the SAT one more time to see if he can goose his English up a few notches.

Common app essay done, but funnily enough the schools that hold his attention at the moment each have different applications.
    Others making the app list…
    Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
    Oregon St
    UBC Vancouver (gonna go visit in Nov with him)

FAFSA apps open today (yay [ugh])

I am mostly posting in here to say thanks to the folks who offered opinions and suggestions above. There are so many options out there. If it’s overwhelming for me, for a high schooler w/ ADHD, it’s even worse. Thanks for all the help!

Mines seems like a great school, and Golden is a good place to live, if expensive.

And it gives you an excuse to come ski here.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hah, yes!

If he does end up here, let's grab a beer!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Absolutely
    And some turns

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Mines seems like a great school, and Golden is a good place to live, if expensive.

And it gives you an excuse to come ski here.
    Can confirm that Mines opened every door in the world for me but it was soooo hard.

Came out of school as a high-earner and will always be a high-earner.

Your boy could basically go anywhere that's ABET accredited and get, more or less, a comparable education.

This tool can help you find programs, just filter by states with ski areas or by program.

https://amspub.abet.org/aps/name-sea...pe=institution

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

And I didn't even finish there! Dropped out my junior year and got an Economics degree a decade later.

Just a half a degree got me over 70k as a dumb kid

Only down side is the gender mix, but it’s near a metro area so it’s not like being isolated from society

Larilinesign, that’s a good link for filtering programs

Here we are, a year later…application time

The kid is more pointed at a Materials Engineering track and was super excited after a visit to School of Mines so that seems to be his target right now.

He is currently down at LO high school taking the SAT one more time to see if he can goose his English up a few notches.

Common app essay done, but funnily enough the schools that hold his attention at the moment each have different applications.
    Others making the app list…
    Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
    Oregon St
    UBC Vancouver (gonna go visit in Nov with him)

FAFSA apps open today (yay [ugh])

I am mostly posting in here to say thanks to the folks who offered opinions and suggestions above. There are so many options out there. If it’s overwhelming for me, for a high schooler w/ ADHD, it’s even worse. Thanks for all the help!
    Competitive school admission is so freaking arbitrary these days ! My limited exposure says essays have a huuuge bearing on admission since lot of kids are above 4.0 these days and crush SAT due to prep programs.

Only down side is the gender mix, but it’s near a metro area so it’s not like being isolated from society

Larilinesign, that’s a good link for filtering programs
    Yeah the gender mix is a bit more complicated than just the "ratio".

The thing is, not a lot of Mines students actually had any friends (awkward, sexist, no hobbies, ugly, narcissistic, not interested in dating or meeting new people, etc)

Only like 25% of the students were actually socializing, in about an equal ratio. And then the program tracks are so strict and there's very little participation in extracirriculars (no time cuz homework), so the people in each graduating year really didn't mix.

So the reality of the social pool was that for your class of 1000, there'd be 125 men and 125 women to talk to.

Half of those would couple-up immediately, only hang out with each other, and get married after college.

That left you with about 63 men and 63 women that interact with each other in any capacity outside of classes and they all know each other and are great friends.

If you're charming and honest and have a reputation for always helping people out, you knock it out of the park with this group and become super popular and successful in school and beyond.

well, that's a little depressing to hear...
    [in some ways, not surprising to hear about stem kids, tho]
    [but good to hear honest appraisal from another perspective]

well, that's a little depressing to hear...
    [in some ways, not surprising to hear about stem kids, tho]
    [but good to hear honest appraisal from another perspective]
    Yeahh... it's kind of a long winded way of saying that a lot of the students get really anxious and depressed and hole themselves up from the world because they lose their ability to interact with it...

It was a very hard school.

I was lucky to have grown up in the area and had family to spend time with and was able to dodge a lot of that.

Also, being a skier and getting really swole at the gym all the time helped sustain friendships.

Yo AC, what about Montana State…good materials engineering program in a great town. Snow’s already accepted there but is also looking at UW, Berkeley, UC SLO, Cal Tech, Harvey Mudd, etc.

We are of the same mind, get the cheaper solid undergrad degree and then pay up for the graduate program once direction has been figured out.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

University choice

Mine is likely looking at the gap year or CC transfer route, which is fine for us. They are still in a situation of confusion over their next step in life and has not totally discounted applying to 4 year schools to keep their options open.

My wife and I have decided to discourage applying to schools or moving to states that now have abortion bans. When I went to college in the mid-90’s this was not a metric for consideration. I have many friends (myself included) from college that would now be in very different life situations if abortion options were not available to them while I’m college.

Montana Tech is an excellent propeller head skool.

UVM is a good school. There's good skiing not too far away. And it checks the post Roe box.

I went to SFU which was just at the top of the hill, hung out at the SUB building smoking dope/ watching bands on thursday night, hung out spinning records ( yes real records) at the campus radio station, hung out in the Library, used the pool use the Gym, rode dirtbikes on the surrounding lands

but was never enrolled/ never attended classes, most folks figure I got the best parts of Uni
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That's because every kid/parents that has a 3.9 thinks their special and applies to 12 colleges when 20 percent of a decent high school graduates with over 3.8 these days. It's a game colleges love because it makes them seem more prestigious.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That's because every kid/parents that has a 3.9 thinks their special and applies to 12 colleges when 20 percent of a decent high school graduates with over 3.8 these days. It's a game colleges love because it makes them seem more prestigious.
    I think there's a lot to this--it's many cases it's easy for kids to apply to multiple schools with little more than a click of the mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think there's a lot to this--it's many cases it's easy for kids to apply to multiple schools with little more than a click of the mouse.
    i'm pretty sure it's why California schools have such huge applicant loads...in for one, in for them all
    UC system had 210k+ applicants for fall 2022
    https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...rnia-fall-2022

in 2021, of 203k+ applicants to UC system, 126K of those applications went to UCSB as an example, and it went up for 2022