Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

University choice

[sweet blog]
    My son is 17, he got his french high school diploma with flying colors and he's contemplating higher education in an english-speaking country.

He's holding offers from a few programs in the UK and in Canada.

He narrowed the choice to McGill in Montreal for a BA (with a major in poli-sci, or econ or history) or a BCom (Desautels Faculty of Management), or UCL's ESPS degree in London.
    Academically, ESPS should be a no brainer : Great uni, highly selective degree, only 40 (presumably smart) students, very flexible, one year abroad (Spain for him), great staff/student ratio...
    On the other hand, he doesn't like London so much, while he did enjoy Montreal very much (in the summer...). He also think he would enjoy the north american "campus experience" more than the euro "urban university" vibe of UCL. (we did visit both uni). So, he's actualy leaning heavily towards McGill, on extra academic criteria.

Other factors to consider :
    we would foot the bill and McGill is much cheaper for us (french citizens pay the Quebec rate of tution / UCL is expensive and London even more so)
    He can get his degree in 3 years in McGill, since his french Baccalauréat is good for 30 credits/120.
    The ESPS degree is 4 years (3 years in London + 1 year in Spain.)
    He probably won't be seeking employment right after graduation. Further eligibility to master degrees (including in the US) is important. According to friends who teach in US universities, good grades are the key. McGill or UCL, it doesn't really matter.
    Did I mention that the ESPS degree is pretty sweet ?

At the end of the day, it's up to him to choose : As a father, ESPS is obviously the smart option, but I'd rather see him get good grades and spend 3 happy years in McGill than struggle at UCL.

Any input on the situation from the highly educated and international crowd of TGR ?

WWMD ?
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Well since you're French, he shouldn't go to Montreal, since he doesn't speak the language.

pm Buster, he might have some ideas.

But seriously…to me that ESPS program sounds great but if he's going be unhappy there…

McGill. Be happy. Plus it's closer to skiing than London.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

of course he liked montreal.

hes going to be happy in college no matter where. prob tough to convince him of that now, but 18-22 yr old tail is just as good basically everywhere (except arizona state).
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well since you're French, he shouldn't go to Montreal, since he doesn't speak the language.
    Heh. Parlez-vous Québécois?

McGill is a fine institution, Montreal a vibrant city

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    of course he liked montreal.

hes going to be happy in college no matter where. prob tough to convince him of that now, but 18-22 yr old tail is just as good basically everywhere (except arizona state).
    Disagree, I think he will get more tail and better tail in Montreal. I think the kid thinks knows that too and it is weighing heavily on the decision.

Philippe, if you let your kid decide (not a bad idea) he will likely go for the place that sounds more fun and better opportunities with girls, in this case Montreal. Nothing wrong with that if it provides a decent education, but he does have to know the parameters to continue to study there. If you have friends in Montreal, get him hooked up with them for dinners every so often. It is good to still feel connected to your family when you are off at university.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Heh. Parlez-vous Québécois?
    Quebonics

yeah its different and if you call a french man a Quebecois he might be insulted
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Phoenix Online University, he can be a auto technician in just 9 months!!

First congrats P... good problem to have! McGill sounds like the right choice, though. Great school, cheaper and he likes it.

And if you need me to go check up on him, I'll gladly make the sacrifice.

PS- My little one will be in Paris for a couple weeks this summer... maybe you can keep an eye on her?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

obviously go to McGill, where as a French citizen you will pay 1/3 of the tuition fees at a Canadian university in Quebec than any other non-quebecois Canadian student will pay!

actually - my younger bro, a non-quebecois Canadian, is at McGill doing a Bcom, paying 2/3 more than you will be, and he is having a blast. Sounds like a thorough education. If you would like me to ask him a bit about the program I'd be happy to, from what I hear its a great faculty. Lots of my buddies graduated from there, they seem to be hard at it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    [sweet blog]

On the other hand, he doesn't like London so much, while he did enjoy Montreal very much (in the summer...). He also think he would enjoy the north american "campus experience" more than the euro "urban university" vibe of UCL. (we did visit both uni).
    I had a similar experience with London. Was accepted to KCL for my doctorate program but though I love London as a visitor after two visits in the dreary English winter to have meetings with the prof who would be my advisor I realized I couldn't hack London. Too dreary, expensive and far from skiing. Ended up going somewhere else.

And for an undergrad not much beats an American or Canadian University campus experience!
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

I missed the part where you said what your sons passion was.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    People have passions other than skiing? Interesting.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

I did an exchange with McGill for a summer and it was great. Montreal is great, and the school is seemingly (in my short experience) pretty good. There was a pretty vibrant listserve outdoor crew to get a group of people to go do whatever for the weekends too. Easy to bum rides up north (or south). Reasonable air fair back to euroland.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Based on those options, I'd say it involves being a liberal-hippie-douche bag funded by a dad with deep pockets and not enough sense to steer his spawn towards anything that ends in a job after he wastes 4 years and $100,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Based on those options, I'd say it involves being a liberal-hippie-douche bag funded by a dad with deep pockets and not enough sense to steer his spawn towards anything that ends in a job after he wastes 4 years and $100,000.

Yea. Nobody from McGill has ever made any money or had a future.

http://www.mcgill.ca/about/alumni

Or UCL for that matter.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/about-ucl/history

Here is your shitty little schools alumni for comparison.

http://mtech.edu/alumni/distinguished.php

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I think I got that part. I tried to help mine follow their passion. Both are happy and one has skied 50-100 days a year for the last 10.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

London sucks unless you know you will leave soon.

Montreal's only bad thing is the winter, but most people live underground, so it does not matter.

Masters at a USA school? Most schools love McGill.

Montreal rocks for Canada.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    Yea. Nobody from McGill has ever made any money or had a future.

http://www.mcgill.ca/about/alumni

Or UCL for that matter.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/about-ucl/history

Here is your shitty little schools alumni for comparison.

http://mtech.edu/alumni/distinguished.php
    ^^^I think we call that "schooled"

So, How derogatory is the word "Queeb"? ...because I love using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Wow, thank you maggots for all the answers.
    To clarify some issues : At this point of his life, his passions mostly involve playing a lot of basketball, hanging out with his buds, getting involved in leftwing politics and girls. And, yes, he likes skiing. As far as I can tell he's not too big on booze or weed (he does too much sports for that). I think his head is in the right place, considering his age.

Money is important. we did not start saving for college 15 years ago. in France education is cheap, if not free. That's why we did not apply in the US. But McGill is a steal : It cost less than 4000 C$ / year in tution fees for french people. That's around 2600 €. London should prove 4 or 5 times more expensive... We could afford it but would feel the pain.

I'm not worried about him making a decision based only on the fun factor. We have no shortage of hot girls or cheap beer in Paris. (And London can provide plenty of it too). He actually worked pretty hard the last year of high school, to get the best options academically. And he's currently seriously evaluating every course and conference of both unis. But, yes, he's ready to go to the comparatively less prestigious but still very reputed McGill for the overall campus experience.

Distance is an issue. I guess we'll have a hefty plane ticket budget. And some family members could make trip also. London is obviously closer, but we should manage to visit him, have him traveling to France or have a family member / friend to check on him frequently enough. (Thanks for the offer, Big Daddy, good to know you could step in in a case of emergency).

So, it looks like a vote of confidence for McGill. I was hoping for some UK mags to tell me how ESPS is the next best program to Oxbridge... Because it looks like.

Decision dead line is may 1st, I keep you posted...

Big Daddy, Schemeboat, check your PMs
    Last edited by philippeR; 03-28-2014 at 01:30 AM.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

The red ones......oh, wait wrong thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

Be careful of some of the Queeb french degrees they are damn near free but you also get what you pay for. Get the deal and tell Jr. to double bag it or the savings in tuition will be made up on designer meds for resistant std's.

Enjoy.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.