Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    So, what did your lad decide in the end?

McGill. BA. He will, most probably, major in Econ. Still weighting the countless combinations of classes, honors programs and so on.
    He did turn down UCL and Kings College. Oh, well... Some stoked young man just got an offer to ESPS.

Thank you all for your insight.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

My son graduated last May from William & Mary, with a double in Econ and Government. He's currently living in Washington DC working at a think tank and is considering a job offer on Capital Hill.
    He tells me you pretty much need a graduate degree to get much higher and is looking for an employer that will pay for his advance degree.

I used my Econ degree as a springboard into ski bumming, but it all worked out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    McGill. BA. He will, most probably, major in Econ. Still weighting the countless combinations of classes, honors programs and so on.
    He did turn down UCL and Kings College. Oh, well... Some stoked young man just got an offer to ESPS.

Thank you all for your insight.
    I work as an economist. If he thinks he wants to work in the field the best thing he can do as an undergrad is load up on math. Grad schools will want to see that eventually. Congrats on kiddos decision.

Congrats Phillippe, I'm sure he'll excel at McGill. Sounds like he'd be able to write his ticket regardless of whichever school he chose. Although UCL has a well-deserved international reputation, recognizable as exemplary at most any top graduate program, IMO a McGill degree carries significant weight as well, especially if he decides to continue on in North America.

We 'Murricans are as parochial as people are anywhere else, and often don't know much about topflight programs outside of the Ivies, but it seems McGill is held in similar esteem to an Ivy degree, at least here in the States. As great as UCL is, fewer people know about it here outside of its reputation, which deservedly or not is inferior to OxBridge for name recognition alone. Also, it's further away, but I suspect more of its graduates stay in the UK or the continent for further career and/or training.

You should take advantage of him being there for some ski holidays in North America.

If he wants to be President isn't the staying in-country and going to one of the top grandes ecoles pretty much a requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    You should take advantage of him being there for some ski holidays in North America.
    Congrats Philippe, sounds like a great choice. You guys will have to visit in Vermont, let us return some hospitality when here.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Sounds as if he will have a great time and come out of it with a useful education. Hope it all works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by mf5556 View Post
    getting an excellent education is very important. no matter how you get it, even if with the help of special services that help you do your homework, let me do homework on my own. the main thing is to come to the final goal - to get a diploma.
    D means Diploma.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    D means Diploma.
    f means fkna
    swing your fucking sword.

I’m gonna bump this one

The kid is a junior this year so we’re talking about college

for clarity, it’s me & mrs ::: ::: mostly, not the kid…he’s somewhat ambivalent for the moment…he is somewhat of a procrastinator so it’s not yet risen to the front of his preparation/research radar. Mrs ::: ::: is a total nerd & academic go-getter so she keeps bringing up the rigorous programs. I keep leaning into where can he have a life in addition to good academic programs. He has the intellectual chops to go to a big name, but, as a white male from a comfortable family who doesn’t do any extracurricular stuff, he’s not necessarily that competitive as a recruit beyond academics.

He is likely looking at a math major, also physics; MAYBE engineering but he always seems to list it as a concession option when we talk about this. He’s doing Calc BC as a junior and seems to be the class curve-wrecker for now.

OR State is the easy answer, esp as he doesn’t yet seem to be super ambitious. In-state. Cheap. Solid but not epic programs. Let him go graduate somewhere name-brand when he gets his direction nailed.

He will say Cal Tech if you ask his preference. I think that opinion hinges on there being a climbing gym there, coupled with the math/physics reputation, but it’s a semi-serious opinion at best. And his chances seem slim TBH.

So, asking the collective…what western schools with reasonable proximity to the mountains for skiing/climbing offer reputable math/physics programs?

Or, if you are in or came out of a math heavy program, what is on your radar for solid programs irrespective of mtn access?

I went to med school at Michigan. No climbing gym there (or anywhere else in 1972) but the building had stone walls so we brought our shoes and worked out traverses between classes.

What's the community college situation in Oregon? In CA CC's are a good gateway to the UC campuses including Cal and UCLA. Might be an option for someone who's not sure. Assuming he can go farther in math at a CC than he has already gone in HS. Nobody (grad and professional schools) cares much about where you do your first 2 years of college.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I’m gonna bump this one

for clarity, it’s me & mrs ::: ::: mostly, not the kid…he’s somewhat ambivalent for the moment…he is somewhat of a procrastinator so it’s not yet risen to the front of his preparation/research radar. Mrs ::: ::: is a total nerd & academic go-getter so she keeps bringing up the rigorous programs. I keep leaning into where can he have a life in addition to good academic programs. He has the intellectual chops to go to a big name, but, as a white male from a comfortable family who doesn’t do any extracurricular stuff, he’s not necessarily that competitive as a recruit beyond academics.

He is likely looking at a math major, also physics; MAYBE engineering but he always seems to list it as a concession option when we talk about this. He’s doing Calc BC as a junior and seems to be the class curve-wrecker for now.

OR State is the easy answer, esp as he doesn’t yet seem to be super ambitious. In-state. Cheap. Solid but not epic programs. Let him go graduate somewhere name-brand when he gets his direction nailed.

He will say Cal Tech if you ask his preference. I think that opinion hinges on there being a climbing gym there, coupled with the math/physics reputation, but it’s a semi-serious opinion at best. And his chances seem slim TBH.

So, asking the collective…what western schools with reasonable proximity to the mountains for skiing/climbing offer reputable math/physics programs?

Or, if you are in or came out of a math heavy program, what is on your radar for solid programs irrespective of mtn access?
    Kind of out of the box and it isn't for everyone, but the US Air Force Academy checks a lot of your boxes (mountains, strong STEM, free tuition). I didn't go to a military academy but I have worked with a lot of smart math/engineering/physics types that did go to USAFA and they all speak glowingly about it. Most do their few years of service after graduation and move on to the private sector to make money with no student debt.

Might be worth looking at Utah's physics program.

UC Davis checks a lot of boxes. So do Washington and Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    Kind of out of the box and it isn't for everyone, but the US Air Force Academy checks a lot of your boxes (mountains, strong STEM, free tuition). I didn't go to a military academy but I have worked with a lot of smart math/engineering/physics types that did go to USAFA and they all speak glowingly about it. Most do their few years of service after graduation and move on to the private sector to make money with no student debt.
    this actually came up last night
    he kind of winced at military...not sure it isn't a good idea tho...it checks some boxes
    [tho doesn't hit my "have a life" segment much if I'm understanding academy life at all. Waay back in my own college search, I did a week at the naval academy as a pre-college visit for students thinking about the academy]

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Might be worth looking at Utah's physics program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    UC Davis checks a lot of boxes. So do Washington and Reed.
    will put those on the night reading list
    thank you!

i put it in the OR thread, but we discovered OSU has a campus in Bend, 15mins from Bachelor. He lit up at that one, but, on further reflection, it doesn't really hit the math/physics directly.

Cal State Pomona and Cal State San Luis Obispo are both solid in the (real) sciences. Both skiing and climbing are nearby- Joshua Tree is maybe two to three hours away (four to five if your son drives like Danno) and Mammoth five to six hours, depending on weather and traffic. Dunno how bad out-of-state tuition is, though.

Occidental College could prove an interesting choice. That institution has articulations with Caltech, allowing it's students to attend Caltech courses for credit. There was also another program allowing Occidental students to transfer over to Caltech in order to earn a degree in engineering after first getting a liberal arts degree. Dunno if that program's still active, but I knew a couple folks who were doing this thirty years ago.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

University choice

If Cal Tech is on his radar already, take a look at Harvey Mudd. Claremont is a great college environment and better social life than cal tech for sure. And HM will def load him up w any crazy digit oriented class he desires and top notch stem stuff. The Claremont schools in gen are pretty good doling out the fin aide as far as I know as well

will put those on the night reading list
    thank you!

i put it in the OR thread, but we discovered OSU has a campus in Bend, 15mins from Bachelor. He lit up at that one, but, on further reflection, it doesn't really hit the math/physics directly.
    As a OSU grad it’s on my radar as cheap and adequate for my kids, but if they are performing at a higher level I would be looking at other institutions. JMO.

Depends on what you want to do I think. Sounds like that and UO are good backups.

I’m gonna bump this one

Reed, duh.
    Arguably best undergrad math program in the country. My son is there for math/physics and loves it because he's not bored anymore.

https://www.reed.edu/ir/phd.html

On the other hand, look what it did to me.

Or Harvey Mudd.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Cal State Pomona and Cal State San Luis Obispo are both solid in the (real) sciences. Both skiing and climbing are nearby- Joshua Tree is maybe two to three hours away (four to five if your son drives like Danno) and Mammoth five to six hours, depending on weather and traffic. Dunno how bad out-of-state tuition is, though.

Occidental College could prove an interesting choice. That institution has articulations with Caltech, allowing it's students to attend Caltech courses for credit. There was also another program allowing Occidental students to transfer over to Caltech in order to earn a degree in engineering after first getting a liberal arts degree. Dunno if that program's still active, but I knew a couple folks who were doing this thirty years ago.
    we will look for it, thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    have not seen that before, we'll scope that out

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    If Cal Tech is on his radar already, take a look at Harvey Mudd. Claremont is a great college environment and better social life than cal tech for sure. And HM will def load him up w any crazy digit oriented class he desires and top notch stem stuff. The Claremont schools in gen are pretty good doling out the fin aide as far as I know as well
    This is on the list too

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Reed, duh.
    Arguably best undergrad math program in the country. My son is there for math/physics and loves it because he's not bored anymore.
    this resonates in such a fundamental way

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    https://www.reed.edu/ir/phd.html

On the other hand, look what it did to me.

Or Harvey Mudd.
    only issue is it's here, near mom/dad...lol

this resonates in such a fundamental way
    only issue is it's here, near mom/dad...lol
    My good friends in stumptowns' kid almost went to Reed. but chose Columbia because he grew up in Portland (went to OES).

At Reed. you can take grad level abstract algebra (groups, rings fields, modules, Galois Theory) as a sophomore. It's a kickass school.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I went to med school at Michigan. No climbing gym there (or anywhere else in 1972) but the building had stone walls so we brought our shoes and worked out traverses between classes.

What's the community college situation in Oregon? In CA CC's are a good gateway to the UC campuses including Cal and UCLA. Might be an option for someone who's not sure. Assuming he can go farther in math at a CC than he has already gone in HS. Nobody (grad and professional schools) cares much about where you do your first 2 years of college.
    he may be in local CC or uni next yr as a senior to do math not offered in HS

i think he'd go to large state in lieu of CC only for opportunities offered