Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thing #1 applied to only two schools. He only applied to the 2nd because I said he had to. He got into his first choice no questions asked. I tried to get him to apply to UVM as a third and safety school, but he dragged his feet and didn't get the application done in time.

Thing #2 applied to six or seven. He didn't want to spend the money on his first academic choice, it would have been a stretch and he wants to keep his debt low. So he went to UVM which was the cheapest of all the schools that were an academic fit. Fortunately for him he's instate and in commuting distance. Unfortunately for me he's in commuting distance. After two years on campus he's living at home. Why he borrowed money to live on campus during COVID is beyond me. He should have commuted to class the first two and gotten an apartment this year. Oh we'll. Smart kids do dumb things.

Thing #3, well, he's a senior in HS and can't really decide where to apply. The schools he wants to go to he just doesn't have the SAT scores for, however he has decent grades, but not 4.0/4.0. He did sports all four years, but no clubs or engineering related extras. He's the opposite of thing #2 in that regard. Because thing #2 hit the first four years of the proficiency based grading trainwreck, his grades weren't good on paper. However, he had years of engineering activities and clubs, plus high standardized testing scores. Clarkson and RIT we're above UVM in his list that he wanted to attend, but didn't want to pay for. Thing #3 could probably get into Clarkson because our HS has a relationship with it, many alumni as teachers. But he won't consider it because of size and location. He went to the WPI open house on Monday. His SAT score and lack of engineering clubs is going to hurt him there. And he said all the female students he saw were nerds, not good looking enough. He doesn't realize how that actually could help him.

#2 won a scholarship to U of A in HS so that pretty much dictated Uni choice, they gave him more $$$$$ later on, with a coop program he did a 5 yr program and came out with zero debt, every coop sponsor offered him a job and he is still working for his last coop sponsor

# 1 who is probably smarter than #2 went to trade school for a high end trade instead of Uni, last i heard they make the same money
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    #2 won a scholarship to U of A in HS so that pretty much dictated Uni choice, they gave him more $$$$$ later on, with a coop program he did a 5 yr program and came out with zero debt, every coop sponsor offered him a job and he is still working for his last coop sponsor
    Who's his co-op sponsor if you don't mind me asking? ATB? PCL?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Who's his co-op sponsor if you don't mind me asking? ATB? PCL?
    Aquaseal, obviously.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

It was Alberta, them were the high flyin days and a barrel of crude oil was worth $$$ so when ever he did the coop gig he made 50K a year

U of A would give out 50 of the 25K scholarships back in the day, at some point they said they can't give #2 any more $$$$ cuz it looked bad, then they gave him more money, another 15 K for a total of 40K ,

in any case the uni education cost me zero

Coop was with Petrocan, Syncrude and a big oil field equipment co
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-13-2022 at 01:01 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    That said, has anyone mentioned Colorado School of Mines yet? Highly respected [and endowed...and selective... ] and can take a nerd anywhere a Cal/Ivy undergrad degree can.
    I wanted to come back to this post & say THANK YOU

This school was not on our radar at all until your post.
    And given I was asking in Sept of his junior year, it still kinda sat there as a dark horse for a long time.
    He kinda looped back to it over the summer as he started to consider engineering more than pure math/science.
    We took the kid to visit Golden in Sept for a open house day, and he was stoked about it & it became his first choice barring financial issues.
    Well, he applied & we just heard last week that he was accepted with some scholarship enticement! We really weren't even expecting anything until mid December re: decisions. He is stoked (& we are proud & happy that he is stoked about it!)!

& thanks again to all for their comments, we talked about all of them
    TGR maggot networking FTW!

That is awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!

I suspect many jewzers in his future.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Kick ass!

If you're in town visiting and are up for maggot beers or turns (or both), give a holler.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Congrats!

congrats 6 colons
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Congrats, it feels great when your child gets accepted to each university, let alone assistance.
    In a similar boat here. First college my daughter just got into a week ago came with assistance. Proud father moment

Thx, all
    & good job buzz jr!

TGR FTW.

Congrats!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1673755560.442498.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	442691
    Accepted into the Honors program as well. She’s very excited for the new chapter and it’s sure looking like it’s going to happen here. We’ve left it her choice completely and her desire to go instate tuition with very minimal debt is commendable. Med school has been her goal for quite a long time. The grandparents have a bit of a fund for their only grandchild and we are forever grateful to my parents. Taylor wants to save it all for med school and we are working to facilitate that goal.

Proud dad moment. I’m sorry, this dad has to gloat. I remember posting here when my wife started contractions. It’s somewhere in here. What a fuckin trip.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

It does go quickly — congrats to your girl

++++
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Awesome Buzz!

Congrats Taylor!

Congrats Buzz family! That certainly does age this place a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Congrats Buzz family! That certainly does age this place a bit.
    Crazy how time flies. Congrats Buzz!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Congrats and gloat as much as you want.

Thank you everyone for your kind messages. This is what we trained for right? Still grinning

I'll add to the congrats, and also to the "holy shit we've been her how long"? I feel like a jong compared to some of you and it's still been long enough for a kid to get born and finish high school.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

And she’s committed. Deposit sent in, setup Umail and all the fun IT things and now applying for honors dorms. This went from 0 to 100 lickity split!