Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Healthiest diet: Science settles it!

Stoked that we won't have any more endless debates here about the healthiest way to eat.

http://m.theatlantic.com/health/arch...l-food/284595/

.Katz and Yale colleague Stephanie Meller published their findings in the current issue of the journal in a paper titled, "Can We Say What Diet Is Best for Health?" In it, they compare the major diets of the day: Low carb, low fat, low glycemic, Mediterranean, mixed/balanced (DASH), Paleolithic, vegan, and elements of other diets.
    Bummer that paleo didn't bring statistically significant health effects.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Opinions are nice. Unfortunately, I think that YMMV is the most pertinent variable here...

"The evidence that with knowledge already at our disposal, we could eliminate 80 percent of chronic disease is the basis for everything I do,"

The Bertrand Russell quote sums it up: "I think Bertrand Russell nailed it," Katz told me, "when he said that the whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so sure, and wise people always have doubts. Something like that."
    Living vicariously through myself.

^^^I thought the same thing Grrrr. That's a great quote.

Not to start a Paleo war because I really could care less if you choose that diet but this made me smile (see red bolded text - the rest is for reference):

Finally, in a notable blow to some interpretations of the Paleo diet, Katz and Meller wrote, "if Paleolithic eating is loosely interpreted to mean a diet based mostly on meat, no meaningful interpretation of health effects is possible." They note that the composition of most meat in today's food supply is not similar to that of mammoth meat, and that most plants available during the Stone Age are today extinct. (Though it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Paleo extremists are crowd-funding a Jurassic Park style experiment to bring them back.)

Yeats said pretty much the same thing in a quote I like even better, from The Second Coming

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeats said pretty much the same thing in a quote I like even better, from The Second Coming

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.
    you go to college, or something?

Nah, just Irish.

It was a Vo-Tech with a writers bent, guaranteed work.

There was an article on the op-ed page of yesterday's NYTimes entitled "Butter Is Back" that was a pretty good read, I can't link it because they say I've used up my free articles despite the fact that it shows I'm logged in and a subscriber, so fuck them, but someone else might want to put up a link maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    It was a Vo-Tech with a writers bent, guaranteed work.
    Someone has to write the instruction manuals I guess.

There was an article on the op-ed page of yesterday's NYTimes entitled "Butter Is Back" that was a pretty good read, I can't link it because they say I've used up my free articles despite the fact that it shows I'm logged in and a subscriber, so fuck them, but someone else might want to put up a link maybe.
    google news is your friend
    copy the article title
    search it in google news

no more free article limit!

Thanks, Ice, that's a great read: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/op...r-is-back.html

None of this is surprising. I try and eat like my grandparents did, they both had families that homesteaded in NE WA and were born around 1900. They raised 5 kids through the depression. They always ate real food, home raised meat, eggs and dairy, and had vegetable gardens. They bought staples like flour, sugar, salt etc. Seemed to work for them and my parents and aunts and uncles. Real food, hard physical labor and a good attitude will keep you healthy for the most part.

Studying the indigenous peoples is a good way to see how fucked up modern food is, I knew a doc who studied it in the arctic (way paleo) and then noticed it 20 years later in the south pacific, big changes in health caused by adopting the white mans food & ways

I think if people just ate a little bit of everything got some exercise & quit looking for a magic bullit they would be fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    None of this is surprising. I try and eat like my grandparents did, they both had families that homesteaded in NE WA and were born around 1900. They raised 5 kids through the depression. They always ate real food, home raised meat, eggs and dairy, and had vegetable gardens. They bought staples like flour, sugar, salt etc. Seemed to work for them and my parents and aunts and uncles. Real food, hard physical labor and a good attitude will keep you healthy for the most part.
    One of Michael Pollan's rules on food is do not eat anything that your grandmother would not recognize as food.

Rocket science, my friends! Seriously, though. Most people WAY over think dieting. If more Americans started preparing their own meals instead of relying on fast food chains and the frozen food aisle, then I'm sure we'd see massive reductions in many of our health problems.

At our house, we use lots of real butter, real cream, sugar, salt, meat, etc. Things that would make many diet people cringe, but we also juice a lot, eat tons of veggies, and most importantly stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I believe that's where the key difference is. Just got my blood test results for a health screening at work. All my levels were as perfect as they could be. Blood pressure is superb too. Same goes for my old lady. I'm not saying that my small scientific sample of 2 people is conclusive evidence by any means, BUT I still maintain my position on processed foods.

Well, Cheetos are made with real cheese, so I'm fine.

Wait, so you're telling me that I can stop subsisting on Total cereal and just take vitamins instead? sweet.

There was an article on the op-ed page of yesterday's NYTimes entitled "Butter Is Back"
    Butter never left my kitchen! LOL!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to bake esp. cookies and muffins, IMHO there is no substitute for butter.
    Last edited by KQ; 03-27-2014 at 11:59 AM.

My favorite line in the kitchen is "Finish with cream."
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    My favorite line in the kitchen is "Finish with cream."

Well you know what Julia said:

Fat gives things flavor and,

If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    google news is your friend
    copy the article title
    search it in google news

no more free article limit!
    Another option if you use Chrome is to open a link
    in Incognito page/tab mode and it wont ask you to subscribe.
    [/another nail in the coffin of print media]

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think if people just ate a little bit of everything got some exercise & quit looking for a magic bullit they would be fine
    This. Lots and lots of this.