Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What college degrees do you wish would disappear in the next half hour?

MBA's

Business school in general.

Alright well, that about covers it.

I used to think that way, and am still kinda MBA advres, but some focused programs are legit. And if big business is your thing, the connections are there.

Degrees in education seem lame.

I think 99% of the Art History degree programs should go away. Not every University needs one. Same goes for most Liberal Arts majors. Certainly offer the courses as electives but do we really need people with degrees in British Lit that they got at Bemidji State?

Sports Management

outdoor recreation 4 year degree....W...T...F....

they should just change the name to "BA in trustifarianism"

Economics. It's just math.

religion

As I sit here in hour 3 of tonight's Project Management class that will finish up a three year attempt at getting my MBA while working full time, getting married and having my first child, TGR is making me feel really great about my life choices. Thanks.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    As I sit here in hour 3 of tonight's Project Management class that will finish up a three year attempt at getting my MBA while working full time, getting married and having my first child, TGR is making me feel really great about my life choices. Thanks.
    MBA is the new Bachelors. You did good. I've had good luck hiring business majors. They communicate well.

Marketing

Race and Ethnic Studys AKA study of liberal guilt
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I think 99% of the Art History degree programs should go away. Not every University needs one. Same goes for most Liberal Arts majors. Certainly offer the courses as electives but do we really need people with degrees in British Lit that they got at Bemidji State?
    not like an econ or engineering degree from bemidji's any better

but art history's the worst breed of liberal arts snobbery.

You could muck out all of the University of Montana and society would be better off.

If nothing else less women would get raped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Case in point for the MBA right there

why the hate on MBAs? It's where the money is...
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Quote Originally Posted by IVplay View Post
    Nothing wrong with it per se, but if you can work full time, have a kid and surf TGR during class, how hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    Nothing wrong with it per se, but if you can work full time, have a kid and surf TGR during class, how hard can it be?
    GoneHuckin has learned to multitask - an important skill that can indeed be taught.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IVplay View Post
    Credentialling's where the money is?

By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself. Just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root. I don't know. There's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers, okay? Kill yourself, seriously. You're the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No, no, this is not a joke, you're going, "there's gonna to be a joke coming," there's no fucking joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are fucked and you are fucking us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your fucking soul. Kill yourself. Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, "he's doing a joke..." there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, fucking hang yourself, borrow a gun from an NRA friend. I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil fucking machinations. Machi... whatever, you know what I mean. I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, "Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart." Oh man, I am not doing that, you fucking evil scumbags. "Ooh, you know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar. That's a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We've done research. Huge market. He's doing a good thing." Goddammit, I'm not doing that, you scumbags. Quit putting a goddamm dollar sign on every fucking thing on this planet! "Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market. Bill's very bright to do that." God, I'm just caught in a fucking web. "Ooh, the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market. Look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar..." God, how do you live like that? I bet you sleep like fucking babies at night, don't you? "What did ya do tonight honey?" "Oh, we made ah, we made ah, arsenic ah, childhood food now, goodnight."

Hugh Conway Guest
    eesh, amateur.

you'd make alot more money for yourself and your company if you killed yourself marketers. I know I'd buy 100,000 pairs of skis at retail if the whole rep force offed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    Well, surfing TGR is called market research if you're in the outdoor sports industry. And I delegate well.....

and ps: I worked out twice today, read a good part of a novel, and I've been playing PS4 for the last two hours. Single Son and Need for Speed are worth the price of admission.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Hate to break from the usual fecal flinging but I just wanted to point out that the real problem is that businesses get lazy and hiring on credentials rather than actual talent and potential. In that case, the people doing the hiring are the ones that need to disappear.

I have found that Taleo and other applicant tracking systems have a hard time finding talent if you search only on credentials. Talking to other people in your network, including competitors, often has better results. I would gladly hire an art history major that is intelligent, informed, and willing to work to find a solution than a MBA who thinks they have it already.

That being said, I think college enrollment needs to be more honest with students as to the realities and payback of a chosen degree. It is easy to take advantage of kids just out of high school and looking to make your way in the world.

But really...Sociology. Why even bother with the middle. Either learn some hard science and apply it to the world, or learn the classics or pure expression. HOWEVER my undergraduate research has found sociology majors to be some of the hottest women in bed, or shower or wherever. Not sure what the correlation to the major is but I'm convinced that it is always worth having a conversation with a decent looking sociology major. Say something smart about social research and get busy.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post

But really...Sociology. Why even bother with the middle. Either learn some hard science and apply it to the world, or learn the classics or pure expression. HOWEVER my undergraduate research has found sociology majors to be some of the hottest women in bed, or shower or wherever. Not sure what the correlation to the major is but I'm convinced that it is always worth having a conversation with a decent looking sociology major. Say something smart about social research and get busy.
    Yep....However, I preferred the education and kinesiology departments for hunting. I hear that environmental science is the new psychology.

The cost for an undergraduate degree and the lack of applicable survival
    skills garnered is laughable.
    The r.o.i. with a bs or ba is a punch line.
    The college experience was a delineating investment way back when.
    4 year degrees have become a racket.
    Math/science/engineering programs make the other programs seem wasteful.
    Last edited by stompinlines; 03-25-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Yep....However, I preferred the education and kinesiology departments for hunting. I hear that environmental science is the new psychology.
    Sure, if you're hunting. My policy is only hunt if you want to eat what you have landed. Which isn't a problem if the game has long legs and will purr but don't mess with those tigresses or you will get bitten. Maybe mauled. Playing in small pools like ultimate can also ruin your chances for eventually walking away with a keeper. Just saying...Sociology majors.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!