Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steam Shower

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Still dealing with leaking shower issue as mentioned from March... We're leaning this way. Looking at a small 38x38 unit... any last regrets? we'll need to rip out the entire old shower, and barrier the outside of this unit. then install it... Figure if we're going to spend another grand in there to rebuild the shower, may as well make it what we want.
    No regrets. It's really nice and didn't cost as much as I projected. I haven't used it all that much so far, because we got delayed and didn't finish until July. It's just starting to get real cold here and I anticipate using it a lot more this winter.
    We added multiple water jets to the shower and I use them everyday.

If finally got really cold here and I was starting to feel a little sniffly, so here's my Steam Shower TR. Saturday I did a three hour ride at sunrise at 13f, came home and fired the steamer up.
    20 minutes at 120f with some eucalyptus and I was all cleared up. Shaving after the steamer, your whiskers just fall off.

The side jet are a nice bonus.

looks pretty sweet. You should put one in at Shadow Mtn.

Timely thread, recently discovered some dry rot in the bathroom and taking the walls down to the studs and then some. Really small bathroom, thinking about taking the tub out and replacing with walk-in shower that also has a steam shower. (we have a tub downstairs so one will still be in the house) Anything you would do different? Anything you did that worked out great?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    No regrets. It's really nice and didn't cost as much as I projected.
    Looks fantastic! If you don't me asking, how much of a premium did that end up costing?

This spring, I'll (hopefully) be tearing down my master bath down to the studs and doing a major reno. Never used a steam shower, but looks pretty awesome. Could definitely be good for preventative health care, like stopping a cold before it really gets going, or clearing up sinuses before allergies cause a sinus infection.

How about ventilation in the shower when you DON'T want to steam yourself out just taking a normal shower?

EDIT: About the ventilation, nevermind, I just found this:

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    looks pretty sweet. You should put one in at Shadow Mtn.
    That's what gave me the idea, unfortunately after the fact for #4. Definitely when we remodel #3.

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    Timely thread, recently discovered some dry rot in the bathroom and taking the walls down to the studs and then some. Really small bathroom, thinking about taking the tub out and replacing with walk-in shower that also has a steam shower. (we have a tub downstairs so one will still be in the house) Anything you would do different? Anything you did that worked out great?
    Yeah, we took out all the tubs in a small condo in Aspen and put in really nice glass enclosed showers. We don't miss the tubs at all and it really makes the bathrooms look a lot bigger.
    I really like the Moen fixtures with side jets.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Looks fantastic! If you don't me asking, how much of a premium did that end up costing?
    ]
    It's kind of hard to say, because without the steam, you could design the shower a lot differently. You don't have to tile all way up, no door etc.

The Mr. Steam unit was about $1500 and the full glass door was $1800. I put in the biggest humidity sensing fan that Broan made in the bathroom. I would have been replacing the old one anyhow, but maybe not with that much HP.

I love steam showers. They relax me out when I return home from work!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    EDIT: About the ventilation, nevermind, I just found this:
    Who makes that? I never mind the shower getting steamed up while I'm taking a shower but it is a slight pain that we have to leave the shower door open all the time so it can dry out between showers and prevent it from getting mildewy, that looks like it would at least help. I could google it but hey.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Who makes that? I never mind the shower getting steamed up while I'm taking a shower but it is a slight pain that we have to leave the shower door open all the time so it can dry out between showers and prevent it from getting mildewy, that looks like it would at least help. I could google it but hey.
    No idea. I found it on Houzzzz via Google search for "steam shower ventilation." I like it, though. Maybe it's a custom thing? I have a lot to think about with the remodel. The hardest part I suppose is keeping the budget under control. Probably helps that I'll be doing most the work myself aside from the plumbing and electrical, but still, that glass ain't cheap! And I'm sure that I'm going to run into no less than a dozen catastrophic problems being the pile that my house is. It's going to be fun!

Ice, good shower glass like that is always custom. The is called a "steam shower glass transom" so when you call they know you know what you're talking about.

The upcharge for a steam shower over a non-steam shower is about $3K. That represents the cost of waterproofing, tiling the ceiling, more expensive door system and ventalation and the steam unit itself. I just did this estimating for a customer. Yeah, shits expensive 2014 and all.

Thanks Foggy.

Not meaning to piss on any new projects

A ramble...

Put in the full kohler setup in a previous house.
    Its use became intermittent at best.
    I used tumbled tile for the entire bathroom including the ceiling.
    Use the least porous stone you can find.
    Regular (annual) sealant applications should be part of the maintenance consideration.

Good venting and keeping the door closed minimized the need to wipe every frickin surface down (ceiling/walls/fixtures/mirrors), post the inebriating sweat.
    I'll never have navy blue fixtures again!
    Burns a fair amount of energy no matter how you heat the water.

ROI was zero on the sweatbox, but resale on the tile job was big.
    I’ll never do navy blue in fixtures again.

On the other hand, traveling to ski… “the hot springs; steam; sauna; Jacuzzi; bathroom tub, hot water in a garbage can” is a pre-requisite to having the best time. Post ski rehab and pre or post meal stoke is undeniable.

Sking outta your yocal home would make it as mandatory as a Todo shitter.

The overall health benefits are not to be dismissed. Having youngins with croup, it would have been nice, but a steamed up shower stall with a rigid door was fine.

Syrup in your lungs. It is a threshold you have to pass through to enjoy the ability of your lungs, bronchioles and sinuses to absorb water. Too much steam in a dry unit won’t choke you out as much as a wet steam will. Venting capabilities if/when you over cook yourself; a must!
    ​I am not in your hurry