Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'll have a latte with an extra shot, but, not,like, you know, literally

The owner expects them to put their lives on the line? Fuck that. I'd be like "You want what's in the till, Mr. waving gun in my face Robber? Here you go. It's not MY money."

If these girls were being assaulted then that's a whole different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    The owner expects them to put their lives on the line? Fuck that. I'd be like "You want what's in the till, Mr. waving gun in my face Robber? Here you go. It's not MY money."

If these girls were being assaulted then that's a whole different game.
    Yup. Minimum wage isn't worth that
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

ahhh, Spokane

i love the idea and execution of the policy
    bF

swap the vodka for rum and you got a nice drank there.
    b

nice, lead poisoned frosting on that cupcake…..
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I think it makes sense, we had a coffee hut girl get murdered up here. Samantha Koenig.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I think it makes sense, we had a coffee hut girl get murdered up here. Samantha Koenig.
    That was sad but in that case I can't imagine a gun would have helped her unless she was very quick and had more nerve than him - he was a full on psycho who was determined to do evil. Sounds like she would have had to grab the gun and shoot him when he placed his order. What those barristas need is a cage like structure and a panic button that sets off flashing red lights and a siren.
    Last edited by KQ; 03-22-2014 at 07:07 PM.

So is our societal response to violent crime that we just arm everyone? Some women get raped simply by walking down a street. I'm all for self-protection but I still think that a person will have a harder time defending themselves with a gun than with pepper spray or some other non-lethal protection simply because not everyone is ready at an instant to kill another human being.

We just had a case where a guy was visiting some relatives in a new development where every other house looks the same. They were having a party and the guy got drunk. Around 2am he stepped outside to have a smoke and a walk. Evidently he got turned around and headed for the wrong house. When he tried the front door and it didn't open he started banging hard and yelling to be let in. Speculation is that he thought his cousins were playing a joke on him which is why he was banging and yelling. Home owner did not hesitate to shoot him dead on the front porch. It was ruled "justifiable homicide".

We had another case where a guy broke into a western wear store. The store owner lived in the back room and woke up to the ruckus the guy was making. He confronted the burglar who had a handful of belts. The burglar, who was unarmed, turned and ran outside. The store owner pursued him, chased him across a four lane road and shot him in the back. A jury of his peers found the store owner not guilty.
    Last edited by KQ; 03-22-2014 at 07:27 PM.

It's a real fine line, if it is there at all. Store owner is a dick but you can get in to real trouble by being too drunk or breaking into someone's property. Shit can go sideways in a second.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Regarding coffee shops in high risk area. They should play nothing but classical music. Shit is like kryptonite for unsavory characters.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    The store owner pursued him, chased him across a four lane road and shot him in the back. A jury of his peers found the store owner not guilty.
    That is surprising to hear. That's not the intent of many state laws ( not sure of specifics in WA). But "jury of peers" is really subject to the locality...

How fitting your avatar has become over time, KQ, portraying that edgy glance a homeowner might strike when someone knocks at the door,gun drawn, ready to answer with a letter in a lead envelope labeled special delivery/self defense. Who woulda thought legal pot and sport homicide would both become law all in the same year?

Quote Originally Posted by mobygrape View Post
    That is surprising to hear. That's not the intent of many state laws ( not sure of specifics in WA). But "jury of peers" is really subject to the locality...
    Yeah well I live in a redneck town where the biggest employer is the state penitentiary and the wine industry is not seen by long time locals as agriculture (nor the dollars it brings into the depressed economy as positive) but rather an effort by outsiders to ruin everything and push the real farmers out. You would not believe how anti-government this place can be yet most are employed by it. I was at a bar-b-que where this guy was railing against all things government and taxes etc. etc. He was a prison guard at the penn and drove a car courtesy of the state. He couldn't seem to put two and two together that it was taxes that gave him a comfortable life. The Tea Party is quite active here and Fox News is the preferred source of propaganda. The guy who delivers my paper listens to Rush Limbaugh - he blasts it while he's driving by. <shudder>

Add: The other day when I went into town there was a rally at the post office with ppl holding signs that read "Impeach Obama!" "Obama wants nuclear war with Russia!". There were pictures of the POTUS with a Hitler mustache and swastikas. Such hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    How fitting your avatar has become over time, KQ, portraying that edgy glance a homeowner might strike when someone knocks at the door,gun drawn, ready to answer with a letter in a lead envelope labeled special delivery/self defense. Who woulda thought legal pot and sport homicide would both become law all in the same year?

It's a regular free-for-all. Way too many scared ppl with guns. Best to get them stoned so they can mellow out. LOL!
    Last edited by KQ; 03-23-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    The other day when I went into town there was a rally at the post office with ppl holding signs that read "Impeach Obama!" "Obama wants nuclear war with Russia!". There were pictures of the POTUS with a Hitler mustache and swastikas. Such hysteria.
    sounds like 'Democrats:'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaRouche_movement
    http://larouchepac.com/

Running across the street to get your property back is one thing. Running across the street to shoot someone who is not committing a violent crime is murder.

I don't blame a latte girl from having a weapon close by, especially at the ones that are open early in the morning or late at night. I don't think the cash drawer contents would be worth shooting someone. Having a gun pointed at you is though, whether the girl wants to get in a gunfight over it is another question. A girl in the stand would likely do well against someone outside, especially if they are in a car.

Geez, KQ, I did not know that my dad delivered your newspaper!

He has a flag pole in the backyard that flies the American Flag and that yellow dont tread on me snake flag that the teabaggers are all about.

The next door neighbors are an obviously liberal mixed race family and he calls them the Flanders (from the simpsons). The husband/father is obviously afraid of him.

He BLASTS whatever right wing conservative entertainment radio is on at any given time from the garage like gangbangers blast rap. Dr Laura and Rush are favorites. Every TV in the house is turned to fox news so when he goes down stairs to make a sammy he doesn't miss anything.

In all seriousness, I thought Walla Walla was a more enlightened part of Eastern Wa. Where I grew up in Pend Oreille County, once there was a big storm and PUD was out fixing the power and a guy was shooting at the linemen up on the poles. I especially like the rightwingdingers that are on welfare. Lots of those in PO county.

As for the barista girls, the owner of that shop could be in huge trouble in anyone is injured, and I bet her insurance company sees the news stories and puts an end to it.

Did Mrs. Peel ever actually shoot somebody? How.......crass. How.....impulsive. I always imagine her doing a cool karate spin kick, or maybe putting a ruffian to sleep with a knockout gas shot from a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Dems/GOP/Libertarian I don't care what they call themselves - just can't deal with the hysteria. I've got a friend who is a rabid Dem I can't stand to listen to him anymore than I can the Tea Party ppl etc. etc.

Despite the fact my father was a politician it wasn't something we ever discussed in terms of my team vs. your team. He was very old school about it and believed that what you did in the voting booth was your own business to keep private. I remember going to the polling place with my mother when I was really young - she would make me wait outside the curtain when she went in to do whatever they did in there. I was dying to see - strange noises came from behind that curtain - levers moving and secret shit that made a kids imagination run wild. I never did get to see. By the time I was old enough to vote they had done way with those big old dinosaurs and switched to those flimsy stand up tables with punch cards and no privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Geez, KQ, I did not know that my dad delivered your newspaper!

He has a flag pole in the backyard that flies the American Flag and that yellow dont tread on me snake flag that the teabaggers are all about.

The next door neighbors are an obviously liberal mixed race family and he calls them the Flanders (from the simpsons). The husband/father is obviously afraid of him.

He BLASTS whatever right wing conservative entertainment radio is on at any given time from the garage like gangbangers blast rap. Dr Laura and Rush are favorites. Every TV in the house is turned to fox news so when he goes down stairs to make a sammy he doesn't miss anything.

In all seriousness, I thought Walla Walla was a more enlightened part of Eastern Wa. Where I grew up in Pend Oreille County, once there was a big storm and PUD was out fixing the power and a guy was shooting at the linemen up on the poles. I especially like the rightwingdingers that are on welfare. Lots of those in PO county.

As for the barista girls, the owner of that shop could be in huge trouble in anyone is injured, and I bet her insurance company sees the news stories and puts an end to it.
    Hysterical! Yeah.... W2 has a lot of long time died in the wool conservatives but the influx of ppl like me is tipping the balance slowly but surely. During the last presidential election I actually saw HUGE Obama posters on the sides of barns. I thought "that's brave, their not worried about their barn being burned down". LOL! The two universities and one college we have here also add to the mix and bring in more open minds but it is a sloooooow process. The old guys are not going without a fight, nor should they I suppose. <shrug>

Oddly.... we have a large lesbian population over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Did Mrs. Peel ever actually shoot somebody? How.......crass. How.....impulsive. I always imagine her doing a cool karate spin kick, or maybe putting a ruffian to sleep with a knockout gas shot from a pen.
    Yes... I think she did shoot a bad guy or two but def. preferred the high kick and karate chop. I have the entire set of The Avengers series... might have to watch it and find out for sure.

Speaking of guns, just as I was finishing up evening chores and thinking to myself what a very pleasant day it had been (sunny and 60s) I hear a distant neighbor start shooting his handgun. He likes to do that a lot and I guess he too thought it was a nice evening so why not sit on the back porch of my dbl wide and squeeze off some rounds. An hour later he's still shooting. He grew up here and told me once "when I was a kid I could shoot my gun in any direction and not have to worry about hitting anyone" Sigh.... he's going to be moving soon, retiring to Oregon, I may have to buy his place just so something worse doesn't move in - I already bought his mother's place for the same reason, why stop now?

Another coffee hut robbed in Spokanistan today. I hope the pistol packing baristas start snuffing a few of these dick bags, make the others think twice about robbing them.

So, is the coffee shop owner going to pay for tactical training when she arms her employees? Safety first, right? Having access to a weapon is one thing, knowing how to use it effectively is very different.

Maybe a course like this one.

Whatever the question, the answer is clearly more tools designed for lethal force projection.

The moral of the story is...

If you're gonna run a coffee stand in Spokomptom and some Russian FSB guys apply for the job, hire them.