Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Perhaps a dumb question, anyone skiing the tlt6 performance without the tongue? I was skiing the vulcans that way with a booster strap and thought it skied well.
    I've skied my TLT6Ps with a tongue in a grand total of zero times and have been satisfied with ski performance. I also pulled the power strap before I ever took them out too. My only BC setup this season is W99 pures so everything is pretty light. Assuming I get something a bit beefier for next year (GPO, billy goat, etc.) I'll start using the tongues with those. Something smaller and lighter though, no real need for the tongue which is nice to save on the fiddle factor.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. Haven't been able to dial in the fit on my spectres and looking to get back into the tlt boots.

Any suggestions for a boot in this class for those of us that fit into bathtub boots? I currently have BD Primes that could actually be a bit wider in the midfoot and 6th toe. The answer everytime I ask this is to take a TLT to a bootfitter, I've tried and was told that it was the wrong boot for my foot. I know the followup, take it to a better boot fitter. I'd be open to that but the two with good reps that I talked to in my home town both said the same thing. I don't really want to drive into Seattle or up to Vancouver to try to find boots to try on without some beta on which models are worth hunting down. Thanks!

The only thing that pushes the Spectre into this class is the weight, imo. Also look at the Dynafit One with a Palau liner (like the TLT6 CL). I'd be fairly certain it tours better, likely skis better, and would be of comparable weight. The boot is a bit larger and can take a lot more punching than the TLTs. With the thinner liner, you'll get a lot more room too.

Lindahl - its funny how different people have different conclusions. I've got the new Tecnica Cochise 120 (14-15 season) with a Luxury liner and imo that walks/tours way worse than Spectre. In fact the Freedom tours better than Cochise. But the Tecnica is the best progressive flexing ski boot with a walk mode with which i've ever pleasured my toes

TLT6 performance vs. La Sportiva Spectre comparison

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Lindahl - its funny how different people have different conclusions. I've got the new Tecnica Cochise 120 (14-15 season) with a Luxury liner and imo that walks/tours way worse than Spectre. In fact the Freedom tours better than Cochise. But the Tecnica is the best progressive flexing ski boot with a walk mode with which i've ever pleasured my toes
    The Luxury liner doesn't have the flex zone that the Pro Tour does (and Spectre liner). That made a huge difference, imo. Also, how you buckle it, and how it fits your foot can change the walk mode quite a bit. When really touring, my upper buckles are pretty much completely off the ladders/velcro. My instep buckle is somewhat loose, and the lowest buckle is a bit tighter to be used with the looser instep to keep my foot in place. The upper buckles can easily restrict motion when unbuckled - you almost have to take them off the ladders to get full range. Also, the lower cuff is pretty high, so if your instep buckle is comfortably tight, the lower cuff can bind and also limit forward stride. Let me know how it goes. I was shocked at how well the boot toured/walked once I made these adjustments. It doesn't quite walk as well as the Spectre, because the sole has little rocker in it, but its surprisingly close, imo.

And yeah, as for how it skis? Unreal. Love this boot. You doing a review sometime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The Luxury liner doesn't have the flex zone that the Pro Tour does (and Spectre liner). That made a huge difference, imo. Also, how you buckle it, and how it fits your foot can change the walk mode quite a bit. When really touring, my upper buckles are pretty much completely off the ladders/velcro. My instep buckle is somewhat loose, and the lowest buckle is a bit tighter to be used with the looser instep to keep my foot in place. The upper buckles can easily restrict motion when unbuckled - you almost have to take them off the ladders to get full range. Also, the lower cuff is pretty high, so if your instep buckle is comfortably tight, the lower cuff can bind and also limit forward stride. Let me know how it goes. I was shocked at how well the boot toured/walked once I made these adjustments. It doesn't quite walk as well as the Spectre, because the sole has little rocker in it, but its surprisingly close, imo.

And yeah, as for how it skis? Unreal. Love this boot. You doing a review sometime soon?
    OK i'll try your suggestion and pop a Pro-Tour in. Yah the review will be in Fall as its a fall release boot. Pretty amazing how well it performs

When really touring, my upper buckles are pretty much completely off the ladders/velcro. My instep buckle is somewhat loose, and the lowest buckle is a bit tighter to be used with the looser instep to keep my foot in place. The upper buckles can easily restrict motion when unbuckled - you almost have to take them off the ladders to get full range. Also, the lower cuff is pretty high, so if your instep buckle is comfortably tight, the lower cuff can bind and also limit forward stride. Let me know how it goes. I was shocked at how well the boot toured/walked once I made these adjustments. .
    This is pretty much exactly how I buckle my Maestrale RS's going up hill, allowing effectively unlimited rear range of motion and yet no sliding around inside the boot. This also allows for pretty darn good lateral ankle mobility, helping tremendously with things like ice climbing and side hilling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02234.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	154207

Ah, but do they climb well? Spectre is very good there.

It aint just the weight.

Have a stripped pair of ONEs with a Palau wrap liner myself. Much thicker than a CL TLT liner. Good boot..and super durable. Stripped with a foam liner it is lighter than a stock TLT6. But still doesn't tour as well. Good enough how ever. No question a touring liner makes them easier to tour in. And a wrap liner beefs them (any of them) up to ski in. No brainier one would have thought.

No clue about climbing comparisons. Hard to do that in a store. The Spectre probably climbs really well because the buckles can be pretty tight, but still get good ROM. Thats a pretty unique trait.

Wrap liner? Yeah, it won't tour well. You want a tongue liner with a flex zone to get a real comparison. Have you done that Dane, and then compared how they toured?

From Palau, the Tour Light model looks like the best option. Pro Tour from Intuition. The Spectre liner and the Dynafit CR look good too. And then the flimsiest of them all, the Dynafit CL liner. I think that sums up the market?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 04-15-2014 at 07:58 AM.

the buckles can be pretty tight, but still get good ROM. Thats a pretty unique trait.
    You can do that with a TLT5/6 by blocking the cuff-lock peg

The only thing that pushes the Spectre into this class is the weight, imo. Also look at the Dynafit One with a Palau liner (like the TLT6 CL). I'd be fairly certain it tours better, likely skis better, and would be of comparable weight. The boot is a bit larger and can take a lot more punching than the TLTs. With the thinner liner, you'll get a lot more room too.
    Thanks for answering. I tried on the One about a year ago and remember it being narrow but maybe I'll try again in the presence of a fitter. I'm looking for the lightest boot that is actually on the softer side for my dynasplit setup so I'm really envious of the people that fit into the TLTs. The short BSL is definately a bonus for those of us that stand in an inefficient stance...

If you ever end up in Summit County, seek out Jeff at Mountain Outfitters in Breck. If anyone can make the TLT fit, he can.

If you ever end up in Summit County, seek out Jeff at Mountain Outfitters in Breck. If anyone can make the TLT fit, he can.
    Do you know if he's around in the summer? I'll be back in Silverthorne some time in the next few months for work I'm sure, maybe I can come up with some time to see him while I'm there.

He should be. He heavily punched my TLT5s to fit. I have a pretty straight foot thats on the wide side, so that duckfooted narrow ass heel had to be blown wayyy out.

Were there any issues with the ankle pivot? My boot fitter was concerned with punching the medial side of the midfoot out and screwing up the geometry at the pivot point. My foot is too wide for the shell even without the liner in place.

Crazy... not sure if he can work that kind of magic... but no problem with the ankle pivots for me, though. They really really need two lasts for that boot. Its such a one-of-a-kind. They could probably double their profit.

Yes on the wrap and tongue versions in use. As I said seems a no brainier which works best, where. Good that you pointed that out.

CL liner isn't all that flimsy by comparison. Or CR all that beefy. But the CR tours well because of the design and less liner than the others. Lighter liners like the PDG as well but less volume and comfort to go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Yes on the wrap and tongue versions in use. As I said seems a no brainier which works best, where. Good that you pointed that out.
    I think you misunderstood, or at least I'm not sure what you're answer is... have you compared the TLT6 and the One with the same liner, or at least both with touring-oriented liners (one of: CL/CR/ProTour/TourLight/Spectre)? If so, how did the touring compare between the two, was it mostly just a weight difference, or was there still a significant difference in articulation and friction-free movement?

>.. have you compared the TLT6 and the One with the same liner

yes

> touring-oriented liners (one of: CL/CR/ProTour/TourLight/Spectre

I have used everything mentioned but the Pro Tour and you are talking a huge amount of difference between these liners just in tour mode. Between a CL and Spectre liner its a big difference.

>how did the touring compare between the TLT6 and the ONE

Same basic boot technology if stripped. But ONE is stiffer stripped than the TLT stripped. Same liner, comparable boots for touring but ONE is stiffer in tour mode than a stripped TLT6.

>mostly just a weight difference

strip both and not much of a weight difference

>is there still a significant difference in articulation and friction-free movement?

Spliting hairs. Design of the boots is the same and lots of options to strip the TLT not so much on the ONE without some surgery. Either boot tours well. Closer than you might first think.

Sole length and how thy walk is different as is how they ski. Weight, again, can be very close and comparable depending how you set them up.

I have lots of days on One PX/TF and TLT6M/CL. Best way to describe the difference: TLT6 is sleeker, better walker/scrambler. One PX skis a bit better (although both are laterally quite stiff.) One PX/TF is a bit less smooth fore-aft in tour mode, nonetheless smoother/more ROM than other boots, e.g., Maestrale. One PX/TF is warmer than TLT6/CL. Bottom line: TLT6M/CL is the better spring/summer touring and ski mountaineering boot, and also fine for midwinter if you don't get cold feet. One PX is the better mid-winter touring boot that can double as lift-served boot for those with balanced skiing styles. Both are fantastic boots (if they fit, of course).

Pretty much what Dane says.

Cool. I was mostly wondering if the touring differences were mostly due to drastically different liners, or in the boot construction. Sounds like its mostly liner differences, but not the whole story. As far as walking, the shorter BSL wins, no surprise there. But, what's tricky, is... I'm a 26 in a One PX, and a 27 in the TLT - shorter BSL for the One PX.

It aint tricky or bsl. It is the shorter toe lip and better rocker (Spectre has an even better rocker profile)i. TLT6 wins walking or in a boot pack. Being able to strip the tongue and PS just adds to its abilities as a skimo boot. Same liners and the boots are still different boots. ONE, is a ski boot, burly. TlT6 or 5 is a ski-mo boot. Weight has little to do with that description. It isn't all that many grams all in. Cold Thistle has a bunch of weight numbers on both boots in differing variations. And some info about modifing each boot style.

Just speculation masturbation at some point, Ya just gotta go ski/tour them to sort it all out for your needs.

The point I thought Lindahl was trying to make, was a good observation. Thought Lee would have caught it a long time ago about the effect of differing liners when testing a boot. Some boots can really up their touring performance by adding a touring specific liner. Some touring boots can up their down hill ski performance by adding a wrap liner. You want to make a TLT6 a poor touring boot but an excellent ski boot add a Pro Wrap liner. Add a wrap liner to a PDG and really buck it up as ski boot. But not so much fun to tour in if you do.

To get the most from my TLT6P I use a molded to the shell and my foot, Spectre liner. The liner is that much better (double or more for me) as a ski boot but likely half the touring liner as a CL. I switch back and forth as I think the mission requires it. Boot mods as well.
    Last edited by Dane1; 04-17-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post

The point I thought Lindahl was trying to make, was a good observation. Thought Lee would have caught it a long time ago about the effect of differing liners when testing a boot. Some boots can really up their touring performance by adding a touring specific liner. Some touring boots can up their down hill ski performance by adding a wrap liner. You want to make a TLT6 a poor touring boot but an excellent ski boot add a Pro Wrap liner. Add a wrap liner to a PDG and really buck it up as ski boot. But not so much fun to tour in if you do.
    I've skied Luxury and ProTour liners on different boots back to back. They make a difference but not a substantial difference. I'm open to Lindahl's comments enough to try it myself but the fact he finds such a substantial difference in Tecnica 120 Cochise tourability (I think it tours somewhat like ass) makes me initially skeptical.

Of course, we can all agree to disagree. Just like when you said you thought the Spectre was gods gift to stiffness and I thought you were on crack after reviewing the boot and trying different liners with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    Were there any issues with the ankle pivot? My boot fitter was concerned with punching the medial side of the midfoot out and screwing up the geometry at the pivot point. My foot is too wide for the shell even without the liner in place.
    At the pivot or below? I've punched a number of TLT5/6's under the pivot without problem, including my own.