Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 46 of 46
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,422
    ^^^ We had one for years when I was a kid. Lasted a longass time until the pole finally broke and I think my dad couldn't find a replacement.

    I have an REI Kingdom 8 now. Thing is massive and awesome. Design is well thought-out. Way better than the Coleman Instant Cabin POS that I thought I'd cheap out with from Costco. Returned that. If you want to go conventional nylon, I'd highly recommend the Kingdom series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,172
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    ^^^ We had one for years when I was a kid. Lasted a longass time until the pole finally broke and I think my dad couldn't find a replacement.

    I have an REI Kingdom 8 now. Thing is massive and awesome. Design is well thought-out. Way better than the Coleman Instant Cabin POS that I thought I'd cheap out with from Costco. Returned that. If you want to go conventional nylon, I'd highly recommend the Kingdom series.
    I also have the kingdom 8 with the garage. The fucker is huge, but I'm camping with bikes + me and wifey + small child(ren) on desert blm land, so the bigger the better for me. For a childless couple, I would recommend the 4 or 6 unless you just want to go massive. The interior room divider is great if you want a little privacy. I also ended up returning the Coleman tent to Costco and getting the kingdom. The crappy Costco tent did not do well in any sort of inclement weather, necessitating the upgrade. The kingdom does well in the wind, considering it's enormous size.

    I have friends who have a Springbar canvas tent for car camping, and they love it. It's quicker to set up and take down than my rei behemoth. The only obvious downside I've noticed is that it is bulky when packed up compared to a similarly-sized nylon tent. I would consider how tight the car is when you typically go out for a long weekend. I would plan on the canvas guy taking up double the space of an equivalent nylon tent.

    Standing height tent for car camping is totally worth it, if you ask me.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    67
    Big Agnes always has super reliable and amazing tents to go with. BA's flying diamond 6, along with the REI kingdom 6. Both of those guys are great tents.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,229
    Quote Originally Posted by skiingian View Post
    The Marmot Swallow is a fantastic product but personally for car camping I think the Marmot Limestone is a better bet. It is bigger and more importantly higher, so standing albeit slightly stooped is a possibiity.
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    We use an REI tent for car camping. Nice but it takes way too long to set up.
    We don't use the REI anymore for car camping but we do have a new REI 4 person backpacking tent...review pending.

    Marmot Limestone 8 for car camping. It kicks ass. We have used it in endless heavy rain with no leaks. Incredibly well ventilated. Room for me to stand up easily (6' 1.5"). Solid construction. Super simple to erect and break down. Kids divider for minimum privacy. Room for gear and dog and rainy day lounging. It looks smaller on the outside than it is on the inside.

    Negatives. Large footprint that can't fit on smallish tent pads. Vestibule is not very roomy and the flap likes to fall in on you when you unzip it to get out of the tent if you aren't careful which can leave you damp from rubbing against it.

    Last edited by uglymoney; 02-05-2017 at 07:25 AM.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    326
    Paha Que Pamo Valley HD fits the bill for us. Found one for approximately $300 on eBay open box special and haven't looked back. Haven't had it out in driving rain yet, but works great with anything I've encountered yet. Footprint was cheap too...

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4

    car camping tent

    My father-in-law has Euroke Copper Canyon . When I want to go camping , I take it . It is enough for my family and it is great tent .

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Helltown, MT
    Posts
    1,724
    +1 for the Marmot Limestone. Great car camping and river tripping tent.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Spudlandia
    Posts
    4,303
    I bought a $50 Coleman 4-person tent that has lasted me 15 years of car camping. It finally gave out at the end of last summer when the dog ripped a hole in the floor with her claws. Best camping money I ever spent that wasn't on booze.

    For car camping I've never really understood why you need something really expensive.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,238
    One of my first purchases made as a married man was a new Springbar. Love it and still going strong long after the marriage failed. Sleeping on a cot and standing up es muy bueno.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    +1 for the Marmot Limestone. Great car camping and river tripping tent.
    That's right. Their tent is quite spacious and comfortable for our family (2 adults with 2 children)

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,189
    Bump. Anyone been in the TNF Wawona 6?

    Looking at the REI Kingdom and Kodiak Canvas... but the TNF is priced better....

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    One of my first purchases made as a married man was a new Springbar. Love it and still going strong long after the marriage failed. Sleeping on a cot and standing up es muy bueno.
    Funny same here! Love the spring bar. Although itís quite large to travel with.

    REI half dome two plus or 4 is the ticket for one/two ppl river floats.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I bought a $50 Coleman 4-person tent that has lasted me 15 years of car camping. It finally gave out at the end of last summer when the dog ripped a hole in the floor with her claws. Best camping money I ever spent that wasn't on booze.

    For car camping I've never really understood why you need something really expensive.
    Yup. I've had the 6 person Coleman with full rainfly for the last 10 years. Works great and I can stand up in it at 6ft. Probably paid $120-$150 for it.

    No vestibule or separate rooms though.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    477
    If going Marmot, the Halo is a better choice than the limestone or limelight IMO. A bit burlier and will withstand high winds better. A better car camping option I think. I have been in a couple of major storms that flattened high profile, stand up, large mesh panel tents. It's all in what you are looking for I guess, but I ditched my camper for the Halo and have no regrets.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,172
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yup. I've had the 6 person Coleman with full rainfly for the last 10 years. Works great and I can stand up in it at 6ft. Probably paid $120-$150 for it.

    No vestibule or separate rooms though.
    The downside to the big, floppy Coleman tent is (lack of) ability to handle wind.

    That fucker collapses in high wind on top of the pack and play with the infant inside just once and you never hear the end of it.

    Costco has an excellent return policy and the REI Kingdom tents do better in the wind.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,229
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    If going Marmot, the Halo is a better choice than the limestone or limelight IMO. A bit burlier and will withstand high winds better. A better car camping option I think. I have been in a couple of major storms that flattened high profile, stand up, large mesh panel tents. It's all in what you are looking for I guess, but I ditched my camper for the Halo and have no regrets.
    Probably fair but the Limestone is plenty storm worthy from my experience. I mean the car is right there if shit really hits the fan.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Probably fair but the Limestone is plenty storm worthy from my experience. I mean the car is right there if shit really hits the fan.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    True, but what fun is that to pack up in the middle of the night? Plus more durable materials equals a longer life. Please keep in mind that I sold a small hardside pop-up camper so certainly didn't want to scrimp on funds given the influx of dolllars.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,229
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    True, but what fun is that to pack up in the middle of the night? Plus more durable materials equals a longer life. Please keep in mind that I sold a small hardside pop-up camper so certainly didn't want to scrimp on funds given the influx of dolllars.
    Yeah. Tough tents are good.

    For the record we put several holes punctures in our little 4 man lightweight REI backpacking tent last summer. Dog, two kids, huge wind storms, crazy shit happening in the middle of the night etx. Our Marmot limestone has zero holes same family. It isn't what I would call fragile by any stretch.

    I do see your point though. Different strokes.



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Yeah. Tough tents are good.

    For the record we put several holes punctures in our little 4 man lightweight REI backpacking tent last summer. Dog, two kids, huge wind storms, crazy shit happening in the middle of the night etx. Our Marmot limestone has zero holes same family. It isn't what I would call fragile by any stretch.

    I do see your point though. Different strokes.



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Indeed! I enjoyed your pics from the Winds fyi, one of my first backpacking trips in high school many many years ago. Your pictures made me smile, hoping to get back there with my wife someday (who has never been).

    Also, I was actually about to buy the Limestone based on good reviews before I sold the camper, that pushed me toward the Halo, ha!

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,229
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Indeed! I enjoyed your pics from the Winds fyi, one of my first backpacking trips in high school many many years ago. Your pictures made me smile, hoping to get back there with my wife someday (who has never been).
    Thanks! Magical place man. So easy to get lost and be by yourself on your own lake.

    This summer we have our eyes set on finding a way to get lost for a week in the San Juans assuming it doesn't get too dry down there. Can't wait.


    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    7,920
    We have a Eureka standup tent that's at least 30 years old, still water proof and playa dust and wind proof. The thing is heavy and heavy duty. Of course who's to say they make them that well nowadays. No reason not to have a standup tent for car camping.

    OK--not really playa dust proof but it didn't fall apart either.
    Last edited by old goat; 04-03-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •