Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    ^^^ We had one for years when I was a kid. Lasted a longass time until the pole finally broke and I think my dad couldn't find a replacement.

I have an REI Kingdom 8 now. Thing is massive and awesome. Design is well thought-out. Way better than the Coleman Instant Cabin POS that I thought I'd cheap out with from Costco. Returned that. If you want to go conventional nylon, I'd highly recommend the Kingdom series.
    I also have the kingdom 8 with the garage. The fucker is huge, but I'm camping with bikes + me and wifey + small child(ren) on desert blm land, so the bigger the better for me. For a childless couple, I would recommend the 4 or 6 unless you just want to go massive. The interior room divider is great if you want a little privacy. I also ended up returning the Coleman tent to Costco and getting the kingdom. The crappy Costco tent did not do well in any sort of inclement weather, necessitating the upgrade. The kingdom does well in the wind, considering it's enormous size.

I have friends who have a Springbar canvas tent for car camping, and they love it. It's quicker to set up and take down than my rei behemoth. The only obvious downside I've noticed is that it is bulky when packed up compared to a similarly-sized nylon tent. I would consider how tight the car is when you typically go out for a long weekend. I would plan on the canvas guy taking up double the space of an equivalent nylon tent.

Standing height tent for car camping is totally worth it, if you ask me.

Big Agnes always has super reliable and amazing tents to go with. BA's flying diamond 6, along with the REI kingdom 6. Both of those guys are great tents.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingian View Post
    The Marmot Swallow is a fantastic product but personally for car camping I think the Marmot Limestone is a better bet. It is bigger and more importantly higher, so standing albeit slightly stooped is a possibiity.
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    We use an REI tent for car camping. Nice but it takes way too long to set up.
    We don't use the REI anymore for car camping but we do have a new REI 4 person backpacking tent...review pending.

Marmot Limestone 8 for car camping. It kicks ass. We have used it in endless heavy rain with no leaks. Incredibly well ventilated. Room for me to stand up easily (6' 1.5"). Solid construction. Super simple to erect and break down. Kids divider for minimum privacy. Room for gear and dog and rainy day lounging. It looks smaller on the outside than it is on the inside.

Negatives. Large footprint that can't fit on smallish tent pads. Vestibule is not very roomy and the flap likes to fall in on you when you unzip it to get out of the tent if you aren't careful which can leave you damp from rubbing against it.

Last edited by uglymoney; 02-05-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Paha Que Pamo Valley HD fits the bill for us. Found one for approximately $300 on eBay open box special and haven't looked back. Haven't had it out in driving rain yet, but works great with anything I've encountered yet. Footprint was cheap too...

car camping tent

My father-in-law has Euroke Copper Canyon . When I want to go camping , I take it . It is enough for my family and it is great tent .

+1 for the Marmot Limestone. Great car camping and river tripping tent.

I bought a $50 Coleman 4-person tent that has lasted me 15 years of car camping. It finally gave out at the end of last summer when the dog ripped a hole in the floor with her claws. Best camping money I ever spent that wasn't on booze.

For car camping I've never really understood why you need something really expensive.

One of my first purchases made as a married man was a new Springbar. Love it and still going strong long after the marriage failed. Sleeping on a cot and standing up es muy bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    +1 for the Marmot Limestone. Great car camping and river tripping tent.
    That's right. Their tent is quite spacious and comfortable for our family (2 adults with 2 children)

Bump. Anyone been in the TNF Wawona 6?

Looking at the REI Kingdom and Kodiak Canvas... but the TNF is priced better....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    One of my first purchases made as a married man was a new Springbar. Love it and still going strong long after the marriage failed. Sleeping on a cot and standing up es muy bueno.
    Funny same here! Love the spring bar. Although it’s quite large to travel with.

REI half dome two plus or 4 is the ticket for one/two ppl river floats.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I bought a $50 Coleman 4-person tent that has lasted me 15 years of car camping. It finally gave out at the end of last summer when the dog ripped a hole in the floor with her claws. Best camping money I ever spent that wasn't on booze.

For car camping I've never really understood why you need something really expensive.
    Yup. I've had the 6 person Coleman with full rainfly for the last 10 years. Works great and I can stand up in it at 6ft. Probably paid $120-$150 for it.

No vestibule or separate rooms though.

If going Marmot, the Halo is a better choice than the limestone or limelight IMO. A bit burlier and will withstand high winds better. A better car camping option I think. I have been in a couple of major storms that flattened high profile, stand up, large mesh panel tents. It's all in what you are looking for I guess, but I ditched my camper for the Halo and have no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yup. I've had the 6 person Coleman with full rainfly for the last 10 years. Works great and I can stand up in it at 6ft. Probably paid $120-$150 for it.

No vestibule or separate rooms though.
    The downside to the big, floppy Coleman tent is (lack of) ability to handle wind.

That fucker collapses in high wind on top of the pack and play with the infant inside just once and you never hear the end of it.

Costco has an excellent return policy and the REI Kingdom tents do better in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    If going Marmot, the Halo is a better choice than the limestone or limelight IMO. A bit burlier and will withstand high winds better. A better car camping option I think. I have been in a couple of major storms that flattened high profile, stand up, large mesh panel tents. It's all in what you are looking for I guess, but I ditched my camper for the Halo and have no regrets.
    Probably fair but the Limestone is plenty storm worthy from my experience. I mean the car is right there if shit really hits the fan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Probably fair but the Limestone is plenty storm worthy from my experience. I mean the car is right there if shit really hits the fan.

True, but what fun is that to pack up in the middle of the night? Plus more durable materials equals a longer life. Please keep in mind that I sold a small hardside pop-up camper so certainly didn't want to scrimp on funds given the influx of dolllars.

True, but what fun is that to pack up in the middle of the night? Plus more durable materials equals a longer life. Please keep in mind that I sold a small hardside pop-up camper so certainly didn't want to scrimp on funds given the influx of dolllars.
    Yeah. Tough tents are good.

For the record we put several holes punctures in our little 4 man lightweight REI backpacking tent last summer. Dog, two kids, huge wind storms, crazy shit happening in the middle of the night etx. Our Marmot limestone has zero holes same family. It isn't what I would call fragile by any stretch.

I do see your point though. Different strokes.

Yeah. Tough tents are good.

For the record we put several holes punctures in our little 4 man lightweight REI backpacking tent last summer. Dog, two kids, huge wind storms, crazy shit happening in the middle of the night etx. Our Marmot limestone has zero holes same family. It isn't what I would call fragile by any stretch.

I do see your point though. Different strokes.

Indeed! I enjoyed your pics from the Winds fyi, one of my first backpacking trips in high school many many years ago. Your pictures made me smile, hoping to get back there with my wife someday (who has never been).

Also, I was actually about to buy the Limestone based on good reviews before I sold the camper, that pushed me toward the Halo, ha!

Indeed! I enjoyed your pics from the Winds fyi, one of my first backpacking trips in high school many many years ago. Your pictures made me smile, hoping to get back there with my wife someday (who has never been).
    Thanks! Magical place man. So easy to get lost and be by yourself on your own lake.

This summer we have our eyes set on finding a way to get lost for a week in the San Juans assuming it doesn't get too dry down there. Can't wait.

We have a Eureka standup tent that's at least 30 years old, still water proof and playa dust and wind proof. The thing is heavy and heavy duty. Of course who's to say they make them that well nowadays. No reason not to have a standup tent for car camping.

OK--not really playa dust proof but it didn't fall apart either.
    Last edited by old goat; 04-03-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Reviving this as I'm looking for a four person car camping tent, 3 season. Would like to get a king sized air mattress in it at some point. Any recommendations? We live in a state with pretty stable weather so tent height isn't that important.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Reviving this as I'm looking for a four person car camping tent, 3 season. Would like to get a king sized air mattress in it at some point. Any recommendations? We live in a state with pretty stable weather so tent height isn't that important.
    I went with the REI Kingdom 4. Highly recommend. I can stand up in it. It will fit a king. Easy to pitch. It’s got a “garage” vestibule you can buy to add space.

TNF Wawona and Big Angie’s Big House are very similar, seem nice. REI Grand Hut is another option.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Go Coleman and get a 6-8 person tent for under $200.

I have 11 years with mine and still holds up like new.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We don't use the REI anymore for car camping but we do have a new REI 4 person backpacking tent...review pending.

Marmot Limestone 8 for car camping. It kicks ass. We have used it in endless heavy rain with no leaks. Incredibly well ventilated. Room for me to stand up easily (6' 1.5"). Solid construction. Super simple to erect and break down. Kids divider for minimum privacy. Room for gear and dog and rainy day lounging. It looks smaller on the outside than it is on the inside.

Negatives. Large footprint that can't fit on smallish tent pads. Vestibule is not very roomy and the flap likes to fall in on you when you unzip it to get out of the tent if you aren't careful which can leave you damp from rubbing against it.

But the vestibule is $$$ in the spring when the blackflies are on the 24x7 feed....

Ozark Trail

I totally see the logic in not picking up a bottom-of-the-barrel Ozark Trail tent. It'd be nice to have a tent that lasts more than a season.