Salomon X Max 130 vs. X Pro 130

Anyone have any insight or comparison of these boots? At its widest point, my foot measure 110mm so I'm looking for a pretty wide, yet stiff boot. It looks like the X Pro 130's last will expand out to 106mm vs. 104mm in the X Max. What are the other differences?

I highly suggest you go see a boot-fitter, rather than ask for people's opinion on the boots. No one here has your foot, so given someone else's experience with the boot it might turn you away from the right boot or shine you on to the wrong boot.

Also, the last measurement is taken from size 26/26.5 so unless you have that foot size, there isn't a reason to compare your foot width to the one associated with the shell. There is a lot more to selecting the right boot than looking at the listed flex and width, and this is where a boot-fitter will come in and help you find the right shell/flex for your own unique biomechanical needs.

Which one is red? Get that one.

I tried the X-Pro 120/130, and all of the X-Max line, 100, 120 and 130. Ended up purchasing the X-Max 120. For me there was to much volume above the foot/ankle articulation point in the X-Pro line. It also lacked the same level of heel hold down of the X-Max. X-Pro was all around to roomy for me. Got a closer shell fit out of the X-Max, everywhere except lengthwise which was the same. I have flipper shaped feet, short toes/big to being the longest, good arch thin ankles and heel. I didn't heat mold the shell or liner of my X-Max 120's and probably never will. The factory cuff angle in relation to the clog looks extreme, i've yet to noticed trouble with it in use. So far my only issue is being between micro adjust of the buckles, either extended to the max on a outer ladder or bottomed out on the next closer ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Which one is red? Get that one.
    Closest to that would be both the X-Max 100 and X-Pro 80/red accents on black. https://www.salomon.com/us/product/x-max-100.html https://www.salomon.com/us/product/x-pro-80.html :\

From my perspective as a boot fitter and having fit these for the past two years I'll give my two cents in short:

X-pro: starts at a 100mm last, higher volume in the instep, a medium volume liner, replaceable soles are the same as the quest (meaning you can get them canted or get soles with tech inserts).

X-max: starts at a 98mm last, low volume instep, low volume liner, has replaceable soles but they're barely a shim under your heel. Overall, much smaller in volume than the pro.

Both these boots tend to fit longer than other boot companies in the same category from other manufacturers. Additionally, (Salomon doesn't market it as such, but....) you can throw both these boots into the Fischer vacuum machine and achieve some wicked awesome cuff alignment and VERY precise fit across the whole boot.

/end my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by MC Slayer View Post
    Additionally, (Salomon doesn't market it as such, but....) you can throw both these boots into the Fischer vacuum machine and achieve some wicked awesome cuff alignment and VERY precise fit across the whole boot.
    Like that out-of-the-box thinking, Slayer. Custom Shell to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by MC Slayer View Post
    From my perspective as a boot fitter and having fit these for the past two years I'll give my two cents in short:

X-pro: starts at a 100mm last, higher volume in the instep, a medium volume liner, replaceable soles are the same as the quest (meaning you can get them canted or get soles with tech inserts).

X-max: starts at a 98mm last, low volume instep, low volume liner, has replaceable soles but they're barely a shim under your heel. Overall, much smaller in volume than the pro.

Both these boots tend to fit longer than other boot companies in the same category from other manufacturers. Additionally, (Salomon doesn't market it as such, but....) you can throw both these boots into the Fischer vacuum machine and achieve some wicked awesome cuff alignment and VERY precise fit across the whole boot.

/end my two cents.
    Bonus question : is the Ghost Max shell the same as the X-max shell ? do you also know if the fit of the older Ghost is equal to the Ghost Max or different ?

I used to ski in the ghost and I went into the quest max as a replacement to that boot. I'm fairly confident that the ghost max comes out of a very similar (if not the same) mold as the quest max, just a locked cuff instead of the hiking function that the quest max has.

I forgot to mention before that the x-max also has a riveted upper shell connecting to the lower shell, whereas the pro uses a wedge between the lower and upper shell to give the boot its flex.

Thanks for your take, MC. My problem is that I can't try either of the boots on as at this time of year none of the shops within 3 hours of me has any in stock. I have a wicked wide forefoot and pretty narrow heel ankle relative to the forefoot width. Even if I were able to try the two boots on, with the customizable shell I'm not sure the out-of-the box fit would be relevant. I was mostly looking for info of the differences between the two boots and appreciate the info regarding the rivets in the x-max vs. wedge in the x-pro. I've always worn a 26.5 but am wondering if a 25.5 would be better if I'm planning on heating the shell. I have an opportunity to buy boots on pro-form this coming Sept. so probably won't have a chance to try anything on before then....risky, I know.

Should have tried them on in Aspen.

I'm in the same boat and will be trying on everything I can find next weekend.