Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking TR: Urinal Couloir > #3girlsonecouloir > Domes de Miage

Since my last trip report full of epic billowing white smoke, Chamonix conditions changed almost overnight. It's pretty insane how fast the weather and snow changes in these big mountains with various systems coming through constantly. We'd been riding nothing but bottomless blower for almost two months with one or two days of high pressure then BOOM! Tropical meltdown commences. Super warm temps, stable high pressure and violent winds have been warming S/SW faces to climactic mankalanche festivals and have blown all our powder away leaving behind gray ice or sastrugi on north aspects.

In search of good snow Powdherb and I decided to check out a new zone for us, the Couloir Pissoir (Urinal couloir). Not sure why it's called this, no sign of more than usual piss or poo in this part of the Alps. Super nice tour from the Grandes Montets, over two cols then down into Trient, Switzerland. The red line:

We found some nice sheltered snow by the Trient glacier, but up high it was pretty nasty breakable croustillants.
    Photo cred: Marq Diamond

The next day my lil buddy and teammate Caroline Gleich and her friend KT Miller had arrived in Chamonix to get rad and shred steeps. Being as though it was "Black Weekend" in Chamonix, where everyone parties super hard till the wee hours AND since the snow was crap I wanted to indulge in the festivities rather than ride some steep death gray ice with them.

The next day was brutal. We decided to go on a tour with massive headaches and upset stomachs. The sun was shining, it was a beautiful day, how could we not? The sun had never felt so hot, I reeked of booze and I winced into the reflective snow with a throbbing headache as we climbed an icy slope from Le Tour.

We were headed to ski some GFP off the backside of Le Tour when we started to feel better. Sweatin' out the booze, we decided to climb to a bigger peak in the distance. We looked off the backside and found this sick looking couloir! It looked as though it had already totally slid out at the bottom but the top looked a little rotten. After some boulder hucking and deliberation we dropped in and rode high fructose corn to the Le Tour glacier below. Caroline Gleich iphone photo:

It had to have been around 80 degrees. Me, Caro & KT #gunshow #3girlsonecouloir #sunsoutgunsout

Next day off for a two day trip that starts in Courmayeur, Italy to traverse the Domes de Miage and ride the Armancette glacier down into Contamine, France. It turned out to be around a 33 km journey. Team of perfect proportions we were, 3:3 chicks to dudes, Americans to Brits, skiers to splitters. We were inherently dialed for success.

After 5 hours of side-hilling and a slight route finding error we arrived at the Robert Blanc hut. I drank some vin rouge and chopped wood. Chris fixed the broken window. Paulie told inappropriate jokes in a funny british accent. KT got the shot. Caroline giggled. Tom ate our dinner. And Daddy Yankee serenaded us over my jambox.

Tom Grant and his general bad-assery.

Climbed up to the Col des Glaciers in the am and rode down ~1,500 ft of epic snow. Not sure how the wind and sun didn't damage this slope. Paulie didn't turn once! Then headed up the Tre la Tete glacier towards the Domes.

Caroline tells epic stories of Equadorian volcanoes while Tom talks Cham steeps.

As we approached the ridge a couple were retreating because of the consistent strong wind with occasional violent gusts. This titillated the desire for adventure as we came closer to the ridge, making it seem a bit more exposed than it already was. It was hard not to au cheval at some stages on this walk as the wind was tres fort. Wouldn't have wanted to tomahawk down the gnarly N face (which are some classic steep routes later on in the spring but 100% not in now).

Tom sends the firm windboard off the summit.

The ~9,000 ft descent into Contamine encompassed about every snow condition imaginable. Firm windboard>soft sastrugi>POW!>cream cheese>total mank>icy cat track>dirt. Thankfully we had an hour until the bus took us to the train back to Chamonix so we could stuff our faces with pain au chocolate, chips, beers and pizza. We saw some epic alpenglow on our route down from the bus.

We were feeling rather gritty and drunk and started taking silly pictures. #trashgirlz

That was enough suffer in the mountains for me for a couple days so we spent the weekend rock climbing on the beach, but you'll have to check out my site www.lizdaley.us, in the next couple days for this TR. I know how a lot of you hate rock climbing in the ski/snowboard forum
    Last edited by BettyDee; 03-20-2014 at 05:59 AM.
    www.lizdaley.us
    @liz_daley

Yurp r00lz. Yurp a la Liz r00lz moar.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

if i had a daughter i would want her to be like you.

well done young lady!

"The ~9,000 ft descent into Contami..." Jeezus.

Awesome, per usual. Thanks!

spook Guest
    i am happy for your life

"We were inherently dialed for success. "

why yes, yes you were! Well played once again!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Gettin after it in fine form! One of these days I'll get over there.

I found reading this to be tres agreable

gnarsty!
    long live the jahrator

Strong to quite strong. Well done.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Instant Coffee? WTF!!!!

Killer trip report that withstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Very nicely done

Even better than usual.

Merveilleux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Skinning is a sure cure for a hangover, but you take the cure to a new level.

Well played. You keep delivering the best TRs of the year

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

How fun. We did a trip from Tres de la Tete to the Conscrits hut, then down that amazing Domes du Miage line to Les Contamines, back in '09 I think. Second the bit about every single type of snow condition that could ever exist to occur in one run, then end at the bar.

Nice job!

Thanks for another great TR!

Gosh I miss, KT! She is the best.

You tell a good tale

jgb@etree Guest
    Kick ass TR, BerryDee!

Sick lines + ladies having fun FTW.

My fondest wish is for little girls to grow up and follow your footsteps. Excellent stoke!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Good times, thanks.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

spook Guest
    the lady in the middle has bigger biceps than i do.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    the lady in the middle has bigger biceps than i do.
    You beat me to it. And apparently, she could beat me into oblivion.

Wow, awesome. Thanks for the tr!

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    if i had a daughter i would want her to be like you.

well done young lady!
    If I had a mistress......