Quick. Bike shop wrench tip advice needed (Cross post from Sprockets)

I am going to pick up my road bike from my shop maybe as early as tomorrow. Here's what was done: Serotta stripped down to the frame, then they gave me the frame, I delivered it to the factory for repair and painting, had it shipped back to the shop, and they rebuilt with a new Ultegra 11 speed group. Total cost to me for all this is about $1850. I'm thinking of a hundred bucks to Tony, the guy who did all the work. Too much? Too little?

It's not as though he's rich.

Oh, and also, I want to establish a relationship with this shop, since I'm moving to that town.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 03-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.

They tore it down and rebuilt it and you think $100 is good? I'd say that's fine if the guy 1. has no overhead, or 2. is your buddy who you bailed out of jail. Otherwise, double it.

On the side ... how are the new folks at Serotta to deal with?

i'm not following.
    how much of the $1850 is going to Tony?
    serrota gets some for repair, strip & paint
    shop gets some for building up frame
    tony works for the shop & is likely getting hourly? or is he the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    They tore it down and rebuilt it and you think $100 is good? I'd say that's fine if the guy 1. has no overhead, or 2. is your buddy who you bailed out of jail. Otherwise, double it.

Well, I assume this is above and beyond labor charged, although I doubt that Tony is seeing much of that.

The Saratoga Frames Works (the new name) experience was, ….. interesting. Customer service was flaky. The first girl I handed the frame to was fired, I think, right after I gave the frame to them. I then dealt with two other people in e-mails, which were strangely sporadic at times. All the while, I said to myself, just have faith in the frame repair guys and painter, who were the old Serotta guys (painter has been there for fourteen years), and, same factory, equipment, etc.. Sure enough, when Tony and I unwrapped it, it was sweet looking. Real sweet. Nice job. Of course, he's holding $725 in the above pic, which was two new seat stays in the rear and the one color paint job. Not cheap. But, if you want an awesome paint job, on any frame, they aren't restricting work to Serotta. Most frames taken. So, anyway, in the end, I'm happy.

I'm not sure the new company will be around for long. Seemed pretty empty when I was there on a Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    tony works for the shop & is likely getting hourly?
    Yes, he just stripped down and built back up. My bill from the shop is about 1300, mostly parts, I guess.

$100 is a good tip. In addition to that I would give him some booze or something else more personal if you want to start a relationship that's about more than money. Talk to the dude, see what he's into, then give him a little something that shows you were listening and weren't just thinking about your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yes, he just stripped down and built back up. My bill from the shop is about 1300, mostly parts, I guess.
    Ahhh ... that's different. $100 should be fine. FWIW, that group cost the shop considerably less than that assuming you didn't get new wheels. Did you consider Di?

$100 is prolly quite a few hours wages, so i'd agree it's a good tip

Did you consider Di?
    I looked into it on my last bike I built last summer. Ain't worth the extra thousand to me.

What I've done here is build twin bikes. Two steel frame 11 speed Ultegra bikes, same custom fit, (Carl Strong duplicated the Serotta), down to the same tires. I'm set for a long time in the roadie department.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 03-12-2014 at 08:05 PM.

IMO, a bottle of scotch ( or whatever the preferred libation) goes a ways in establishing a good relationship with your local wrench.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Cash > Booze. Everyfuckingtime.

Did you buy a place?

spend the $100 on your own education and join one of those tool clubs and MOUNT YOUR OWN FUCKING BIKE!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Just in case you didn't catch this in Sprockets: http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...n#.UyZh8lykIQh

Serotta is officially kaput.

I'm a lucky man. Almost lost a bike frame. Imagine if that happened in the middle of the frame repair. And then, how would I get anything back? Through a bankruptcy judge?

edit: I gave Tony 50 bucks.

Well .... that sucks. Glad you got your frame back.