Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Anyone know what's going on in sun valley? Headed there for the long weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Anyone know what's going on in sun valley? Headed there for the long weekend.
    http://silver-creek.com/blogs/report/

sweet, thanks. guess we'll be fishing that spring creek with everyone else. I do like the sounds of this though:

"The fish will not be picky, and just about every fly and technique you employ could work."

First hand report from sun valley area: it fucking sucks right now. Everything but silver creek is blown out and silver creek has about 6" of water in it. The drinking conditions are quite good though.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    green fished well
    where it's green anyhoo

a few of these showin up lower a

not a lot hatch wise goin on
    not real picky about the color of big junk you huck at em

word on flows is 4500 may 30
    gretch pleasure fishin and partyin w/ you greenies
    remember you can either have a world class fishery next door
    or a lot of green lawns on the front range
    Fuck A Million and his pipe line dream

i'll try n throw a few more after gainful employment to facilitate future pursuit of the fishes
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Good to meet you and the wife and get some fishing in. We had a great time and thanks again for showing us around.

Any chance you can share a couple of the pics of the brown I caught from your boat?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Here it comes,

Green River Alert!

Snowpack above Flaming Gorge Reservoir has been above average and Flaming Gorge is expected to receive 135 percent of average unregulated inflow volume for the April-July period. Additionally, larval razorback sucker are predicted to emergence this Friday, May 30, 2014. In response to above average unregulated inflow and in preparation for larval emergence,

Flaming Gorge Dam will begin increasing releases on May 30, 2014, and reach 3,500 cfs by June 1, 2014, according to the attached schedule. Releases will remain at 3,500 cfs until larval emergence is confirmed, although another notification implementing releases for hydropower is likely to occur over the next few days.

Current observed streamflow on the Yampa River measured at Deerlodge is 15,100 cubic feet per second (cfs) and forecasted to increase to around 16,500 cfs by Friday, May 30th. Yampa River flows are forecasted to remain elevated at 15,000 to 16,000 cfs through June 5, 2014. The Green River measured at Jensen, Utah flow is currently 15,000 cfs and also forecasted to increase to around 17,000 cfs by May 31, 2014.

The projected peak on the Green River at Jensen, Utah, resulting from the combined flows of the Yampa River and Flaming Gorge releases is approximately 20,000 to 21,000 cfs.

I am out of town for work all of next week, but the following week might be worth a trip to strip streamers for the big displaced browns if anyone is interested shoot me a PM, I will gladly brave the high flows...(Dfinn I'm looking at you)
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

You bet your ass I'm interested!

edit: holy shit, 21k cfs. Trying to picture in my head what that would even look like, I've only seen that river at it's normal 800 - 850 cfs.

Because its always the weekend somewhere...

Non mag, non skier, non fisherman but put him on some good cuts and he's stoked outta his mind!

Sent from my MB886 using TGR Forums
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Good to meet you and the wife and get some fishing in. We had a great time and thanks again for showing us around.

Any chance you can share a couple of the pics of the brown I caught from your boat?

damn fish was so ravenous it ate the meat and a second helpin from the salad bar
    hope sun fished well for yahs felt bad about makin everyone push sat to hurry up n wait but it all sussed out
    feel bad about your bros rain gear
    i have a hell of a time bein responsible for my stuff
    as evident by the furkid deciding he didn't want to float and gettin left @ camp
    pretty sure it blew out as i'm missin a few straps and my boat sponge
    got the throw bag thanks
    how far you guys go sun?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks for the pic and the others in the other thread. Glad you got your bag, thanks for letting us borrow it. He found his rain gear when we unpacked the boats and was only sad that he forgot to take his foot off the pedal and lost Tom's anchor. No worries on the push, it all worked out and we had a great time. Cool to meet you and the pup.

We went to Cowboy bar Sunday and camped over the hill at the takeout. After we made it through the storm and dried out, it was a nice camp. Managed to get on a couple of the almost white brownie's down low, even though it was super blown out from Red Creek Sunday.
    Last edited by gretch6364; 05-29-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

if a guy was going up to fish the henrys fork for the first time and he wanted to wade and swing streamers with a 2 hander, where would be some good access spots?

dfinn, for swinging big stuff with a two-hander, I'd imagine you'd be interested in wider water, not necessarily faster water. I'd recommend down lower on the HF, below Ashton, say below Chester dam down to one of the access points in St. Anthony. That whole stretch is kind of slow, but wide, you'll be able to cover a LOT of water with your two-hander. But for that trip, if I were you, I'd probably wait until Fall. The whole POINT of the HF in the summer is throwing dries at the hatches. If you just want to swing streamers at pigs, I'd probably recommend teh South Fork over the Henry's Fork.

And, BTW, conditions still SUCK in Yellowstone (or at least they did Monday). High, off-color, and I looked at most of the Park, trying to find better conditions.

Below Chester Dam is no good for the next couple weeks; Fall River comes in there and its putting in 3000cfs of dirty, ice cold water. DFinn, there are several wide, deep holes around the Stone Bridge access and Fisherman's Drive runs right along the river there. Stoneflies are out, so expect plenty of company.

Met up with dfinn and fished Warm to Ashton. Bugs are going, surprisingly quiet. Missed a lot of fish which I blame on tarpon setting. Could have been a lot better but but a nice day on the water. At least this guy was doing well.

Jamespio, I'm actually interested in whatever water the fish are in. I stuck with my plan to head to the HF, the SF is definitely on my to-do list but it sounds like it will have to wait until fall since I'm usually wading. Thanks for the heads up though.

Thanks for the tour of your local waters snapt, you've got some pretty sweet rivers in your backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Below Chester Dam is no good for the next couple weeks; Fall River comes in there and its putting in 3000cfs of dirty, ice cold water. DFinn, there are several wide, deep holes around the Stone Bridge access and Fisherman's Drive runs right along the river there. Stoneflies are out, so expect plenty of company.
    They are definitely out.

Saw a lot of carcasses on the rocks

and a few of these flying around

the fish don't seem too keyed in on them yet though. I watched multiple hit the water and drift for a good ways and then finally make their way back to shore without getting eaten.

I spent most of my time between Stone bridge and Hwy 20. Those fish sure seem to know how to play with a streamer without actually getting hooked. Quite a few tugs but only one hookup. The bug life in that stretch was pretty impressive, at any given time I'd be covered in caddis and have large mayflys and salmon flys overhead.

Jamespio, the lake has been slow but I have still managed to not get skunked with my fly rod each time I have been out - got a 4.5lb laker on a black wooly bugger the other day, so not all is lost. The lake should be fishing better now that the ice is off of it and the fish have nowhere to hide. Anyone looking to fish the lake with a fly feel free to shoot me a PM and I can point you in the right direction. Save a Cutt, eat a Laker.

Jenny lake is fishing well over here in GTNP. Not on fire yet. Another week and it should be prime . Five boats out yesterday. Much different than playing bumper boats on the Hank.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Jenny lake is fishing well over here in GTNP. Not on fire yet. Another week and it should be prime . Five boats out yesterday. Much different than playing bumper boats on the Hank.
    Good to know Schwerty, if ya ever have a seat lemme know. Id love to learn a bit about that lake.
    Anyone been over to Henrys lake this year? Im dying to go but need to convince a couple folks its gonna be good. Ill let internet rumors pass as second hand knowledge as Ive wanted to go there for 6 years now.

General internet rumor is that Henry's Lake has been over stocked for a few years. It's full of nice 18-22" trout but the numbers of 5lb+ pigs are way down from a decade ago. I read somewhere that IDF&G has recently reduced the number of stockers to see if fish size goes back up. Basically, IDF&G tried to make the lake a bit more "family friendly" because that's what drives the local economy up there. The lake is really, really popular with families driving up from I.F., Poky and SLC and they want their kids to be able to catch a fish on a worm and bobber. The angler surveys report that sort of angler wants fishing action more than they want a technical fishery with elusive hogs and IDF&G tried to accomdate those customers. Fine with me, keeps the meatheads on the lakes and off the river. There's a reason why the prime section of the Henry's in Island Park has to have a no-bait, barbless restriction.

Anyhow, that's the general management plan IDF&G seems to follow. They will manage waters to promote quality fishing but somewhere usually close by to the "quality" is a fishery that will be sacrificed to that bait chuckin' crowd. Ya know, the folks who can't go camping without bringing four ATVs, a generator and a chainsaw? Despite the presence of the Railroad Ranch, that crowd is in the majority up in Island Park.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-02-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Good to know Schwerty, if ya ever have a seat lemme know. Id love to learn a bit about that lake.
    Anyone been over to Henrys lake this year? Im dying to go but need to convince a couple folks its gonna be good. Ill let internet rumors pass as second hand knowledge as Ive wanted to go there for 6 years now.
    I'm by no means an all knowing Jenny lake angler! Get out once or twice in the spring and an occasional fall day.The big fish can be tough but they are there. Happy to have you take a seat but not sure if I will make it out again before the water warms and the fishing slows. Maybe??? If you have a free weekend day you're welcome to hit me up. If I can go I will be happy to. The flying ants should be right around the corner . I'm guessing about a week, maybe less if it stays warm. That can be special up there. Throwing big bugs to lots of interested fish on that lake is tough to beat.

Henry's lake is what it is. NP put it very well. If you wanna convince people to go, entice them with a float on the box too. Hell, if you want to make it a really full day you can hit the lake in the morning, float the box after lunch and hit the ranch in the evening. Or fish the upper river etc... Point is, try and tell the guy with the boat to give it a shot for a couple hrs.

I haven't fished it since the fellas from this place got together in 2011 and prolly won't for a while unless I'm enticed by someone who really wants to go. It's one of those waters where you have to pass, (or come close to), so much other great water, moving and still, when driving from Jackson.
    Last edited by schwerty; 06-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Ok, ill do that. Ive got a boat as well, but finding someone else with free time and knows what the hell they are doing has proven to be a challenge. Im free every weekend till around 2 or 3pm so maybe well make it happen up at Jenny yet. Im also always into a trip up to that honey hole in the Gros Ventre known a $%#^ lake.

bear lik fish

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Best-shot---bear-lies-down-in-hammock-jpg.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	155915
    watch out for snakes

Anybody in JH leave their anchor at a fishing hole today? Tell me where and I'll get it back to you.

Robinson creek fished well. Runoff is over at that elevation. Water was suprisingly warm and suprisingly low. Wet wading felt great. Green drakes were out on the creek and I also talked to someone who saw a few drakes on the Henry's. We may have had an above average snowpack in April but after a full month of arid, windy days, the freestone stream levels are dropping well ahead of schedule. Seems like evaporation has turned this into an average or below average water year.