Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Thanks guys. I'm going out with a guide from old moes on the green tomorrow, got a seat empty if anyone is interested. Winter special, 349 plus tax and tip.

Wrapping up the morning at basin and going to poke around the provo now
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

If any of you UT fellas are thinking of coming up...it's pretty good. Shitty weather but good fishin. Fished the south fork today. BWOs were out until the wind came up. Spent about 20mins nymphing out a few nice cutties at the head of the hatch in slow water. Spent the rest of my time pulling junk. Black and black/green were hot. Average size, (14-16"), browns were all about articulated 3-4" stuff. Large cutties were chasing and eating smaller black streamers that were twitched with a very slow retrieve. They were also eating at the end of the swing.

The Snake in JH slowed from being red hot. I'd expect it to pick back up this week.
    Last edited by schwerty; 03-29-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Green was fun today despite kind of tough conditions. Windy day, a few olives out, 4 on dries 5 on steamers, skunked nymphing the morning. All 14-16 inch browns
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^ stoked 4 you
    dannos a blast to fish w/
    must not of been pinnin ifin ya got skunked 3 fly rig bobber watchin
    bummed i didn't pursue fishes w/ ya
    but way to good of skiiin right now
    Mark your calender tellee and i are hostin a green summit 1st week of aug
    good article on dj in the trib
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...unity.html.csp
    i'm gonna try and do some swampin again this season.
    howed the prov fish?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

pretty slow Friday on the provo, but we started fishing around 3:30. Low water not many bugs and no heads. did some nyphing from the bridge below the dam down to the next walking bridge. think we missed the afternoon hatch got skunked but it was a pretty day

Danno was baffled by the lack of nymphing success last Saturday but we took it as a sign to move on to better things.

Went out with him again Sunday and it was perfect blue wing weather. windy and cold, picked up one rainbow midging the morning then things didn't start moving til later and we got 4 on nymphs but not the got awful dipsy drop/balloon rig, that thing is ridiculous. The bugs finally showed up around 2:30 and it was all smiles from there, caught 4 browns up to 18". will post a couple pics later from home

cool article on DJ. what a wild place. it was an experience taking out at the ramp and driving dirt roads for 20 miles. i stayed in one of those cabins from the article for $60 but no bathroom. was okay, really cool woodworking but really cheap mattresses

Last edited by kokomas; 04-07-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add pics

Kokomas - u comin back here anytime soon?
    Last edited by schwerty; 04-10-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Careful floating to Byington on the SF. The extended the wing dams to divert more water, fairly narrow. Shouldn't be a huge deal though some folks are claiming it could turn into a call IV rapid a high water. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Careful floating to Byington on the SF. The extended the wing dams to divert more water, fairly narrow. Shouldn't be a huge deal though some folks are claiming it could turn into a call IV rapid a high water. Yikes.
    If if goes really high that section could become a nasty set of hydraulics more so than rapids. That scares me more! I haven't seen it yet tho. Certainly a good word of warning!!

On another note: the Snake in JH is fishing ok. The warm temps, both day and night, at low and mid elevations got some water moving down but nothing that should stop anyone from fishing. The midge fishing was good this afternoon in the slow water. I went out with no intention of fishing anything but a dry and emerger or unweighted pattern underneath. I saw an ample of fish come up in two obvious spots south of the Wilson bridge in about an hour of fishin. Nothing extraordinary but lots of healthy fish willing to eat. Go out and enjoy it.

Fished the lower Provo last two days at the trailer park. I hate the bottom bounce rig but it works. Well over 10 fish yesterday none smaller than 15 one near 22 rainbow. Today a little slower but still stuck some quality fish. Mostly on sows but some on baetis and hares ears. River is lower than I've ever seen it. Occasional bwo hatch when the sun went behind clouds but no noses up. Really crowded today...
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Kokomas - u comin back here anytime soon?
    baby on the way in three weeks. hoping to be back sometime between Aug and Oct for a little vaca w/ wife and baby

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    baby on the way in three weeks. hoping to be back sometime between Aug and Oct for a little vaca w/ wife and baby
    Congrats on the new baby! Hopefully my schedule will be a little less packed when you come back.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Congrats! See you in the summer!

Not a class IV but probably a III; its already a II at the right flows. Things are different as this feature used to wash out once water got high. Looks to me like a new and much bigger wave train will form in the middle from compression. Could get exciting in a low profile skiff. The canal side wing dam (river left) is so high and uniform in profile that it certainly looks like a hydraulic will form there, maybe one with keeper tendencies during big water. I'm guessing at high flow that rock wall will cycle water like a lowhead dam pourover but, honestly, one shouldn't be running it there near the canal intake, anyway. River right doesn't look much better. Personally, I never liked the South Fork above 15,000CFS. Low flow is an issue too. Several powerboaters nearly holed their rigs running the new flume this spring. Link to local news video below. Looks to me like they built the new wing dams slightly above the old rocks so that the new rapid will wave train over the old rocks below, i.e. the troughs in the waves won't have much clearance. As you can see from the video, the head of the canal company is the typical pigheaded farmers first and fuck the rest of you guy that you'd expect to be in charge of a screw up like this. The canal company has built a series of dams there to create a hazard and he acts like its not his problem because "those rocks below the new dam were already out there". Yeah, ya dingus, the old rocks are out there because your canal company put them there decades ago... ya know it's still your responsibility not to compound the hazard you made or to clear the channel of your old dam's debris, etc...what a jerk.

Anyhowz, the video provides a good low water look at what will be there.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/boate...-fork/25277820
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-11-2014 at 10:45 AM.

I don't think it will be a huge deal in a drift boat, might get pretty wet in a skiff though. I think the powerboaters are going to have the most trouble. Will be interesting to see what forms at high water for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Not sure about class IV (probably a III) but things are different as this feature used to wash out once water got high. Looks to me like a new and much bigger wave train will form in the middle from compression. Could get exciting in a low profile skiff. The canal side wing dam (river left) is so high and uniform in profile that it certainly looks like a hydraulic will form there, maybe one with keeper tendencies during big water. I'm guessing at high flow that rock wall will cycle water like a lowhead dam pourover but, one shouldn't be running it there near the canal intake, anyway. River right doesn't look much better. Personally, I never liked the South Fork above 15,000CFS. Low flow is an issue too. Several powerboaters nearly holed their rigs running the new flume this spring. Link to local news video below. Looks to me like they built the new wing dams slightly above the old rocks so that the new rapid wave trains over the old rocks below, i.e. the troughs in the waves don't have much clearance. As you can see from the video, the head of the canal company is the typical pigheaded farmers first and fuck the rest of you guy you'd expect to be in charge of a screw up like this. The canal company has built a series of dams there to create a hazard and he acts like its not his problem because "those rocks below the new dam were already out there". Yeah, ya dingus, the old rocks are out there because your canal company put them there decades ago... ya know it's still your responsibility not to compound the hazard you made or clear the channel of your old dam's debris, etc...what a jerk.

Anyhowz, the video provides a good low water look at what will be there.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/boate...-fork/25277820

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Congrats! See you in the summer!
    thanks! fingers crossed on everything. going to float the might delaware tomorrow (east coast) with my dad. can't work now, too excited

It's definitely the powerboaters that are pissed about the low flow hazard. Six boats slammed it according to the video. How bout that poor guy who nailed it on his maiden voyage? We'll know soon. River is already up two feet since that video was made. 150% snowpack in the above Palisades Snake watershed...25,000cfs might just displace some of that new dam as those new rocks dont look very large for a riprap.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-11-2014 at 11:10 AM.

True that, just hope nobody gets themselves killed on it this year.

Boaters been getting killed on far less for years down there. Let's see...I was friends with a guide who wrecked and died while on the job on the SF; hit a snag and the clients high-sided the boat making a jump for the bank. Worked with another guide who swamped his boat on snags in a side channel and lost client's gear. Met a flyshop customer who was test running a drift boat when the would-be seller at the oars rolled and pinned the boat underneath a logpile and stranded them on an island (to say nothing about how close they both came to being killed). Saw one of the lodges' campjacks wreck and pin their camp tender jonboat on that rock at the corner under Hole in the Wall. That's just first hand, second hand info...can't really remember how many times the SF made the news since I started floating on it. Must be 10, at least. That river is a confirmed killer of anyone who gets complacent about high volume flat water.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-11-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Boaters been getting killed on far less for years down there. Let's see...I was friends with a guide who wrecked and died while on the job on the SF; hit a snag and the clients high-sided the boat making a jump for the bank. Worked with another guide who swamped his boat on snags in a side channel and lost client's gear. Met a flyshop customer who was test running a drift boat when the would-be seller at the oars rolled and pinned the boat underneath a logpile and stranded them on an island (to say nothing about how close they both came to being killed). Saw one of the lodges' campjacks wreck and pin their camp tender jonboat on that rock at the corner under Hole in the Wall. That's just first hand, second hand info...can't really remember how many times the SF made the news since I started floating on it. Must be 10, at least. That river is a confirmed killer of anyone who gets complacent about high volume flat water.
    Amen! That river scares me more than than just about anywhere else I float. It's so easy to get complacent without the presence of large rapids, but the consequences of being in the wrong place are every bit as dangerous. Maybe even more so.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

The break in runoff opened a window in the muddy water. Despite the cold, cold water, I was mostly finding fish schooled up in fairly swift currents. Got 19 trout to hand plus more whities than I cared to count. Almost all were 15-17" prespawn cutts, probably migrating upstream towards Bitch Creek. Only two small rainbows in the mix so the bows must be off somewhere to spawn. Used a double tung bead flashback prince with the biot replaced with two big pieces of reflective mylar; basically a shiny brick with two mirrors tied to its back. Might be my new "go to" fly choice for cloudy water with less than three feet of vis. Gaudy looking fly but damn did the bling bring on the action. The turd fly was not working worth a shit. Turd, 3 fish vs "bling prince", over 30 fish if we are counting whities. I am really liking the regs change to having the Teton open all year; saw two eagles and 50 mule deer but no tourons around in April. Been out six or seven times, seen one angler. Fishing has been good on bright days, shuts off with only a little bit of cloud cover. Guessing the fish need the light to see the fly in the murk. About the exact opposite of fishing on the Henry's.

On another note, once the mud returns (like tomorrow, probably), gonna try my hand at perch fishing over on Ririe. Anybody got some advice? I know almost nothing about Ririe and just wiped 14 years of dust off of my ol' spinning rod.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-01-2014 at 08:47 AM.

My crazy run continues this weekend. If any Ootah mags are at the Fishwest fair Saturday, I'll be there most of the morning talking lines.

That's crazy. Didn't even know that shop existed and it's in my back yard. You got any time to fish afterwards or you pretty busy with that all day?

Don't think I can sneak away, will be there till early afternoon. The lady is in the middle of some training in SLC and it's her birthday, so I'm off to grab her around 3.

Checked out the Hank at Stone br., water cloudy. Mothers Day caddis swarming. Went up to the IP caldera. Still quite a bit of snow under the trees, between that and the mud couldn't drive off hwy 47 anywhere yet. Hiked into that spring creek trib for some clear water (4ft vis), revisited the site of my snowshoeing misadventure. Fish rising to caddis and real gullible seeing first dry flys of the season, mostly 12" bows and some browns. Nymphed up some nice browns (17") out of green water. Temps went up to 64 degrees and the water went cloudy by 4pm as snow melt under the trees unlocked. Started losing too many nymphs once I couldn't see the wood on the bottom, that trib is full of logs. Dry fly fishing slowed down enough to call it a day by 5pm. Evening caddis flight thickened but we were beat. I imagine the Hank above the res was coloring up as well, which means everyone and their brother will all be piled into Vernon>Chester tomorrow... Hope they like 30mph wind. Forecast SUCKS. Gonna blow those caddis swarms all the way to Yellowstone.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-02-2014 at 01:45 PM.

My crazy run continues this weekend. If any Ootah mags are at the Fishwest fair Saturday, I'll be there most of the morning talking lines.
    Bummer I am down in Moab for a bike race this weekend or I would stop and ask you all about lines in person instead of always sending you messages.