Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: Ortovox S1 avalanche beacons for a hundred bucks

Listing says they're refurbs, but I think they're just rental units from a large fleet that were turned in to Ortovox for testing before being resold. I bought two the last time they were moving a batch, one for a "best offer" of $106 and the second for a "best offer" of $92 plus postage. Both of the beacons I received had some marking on the housings, but are minty otherwise and came with fresh batteries. The second one came with what appears to be a brand-new S1+ harness, maybe the original rental one was worn out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/400673914301

Edit: They sold out of the S1 beacons.

Now they have the 3+ model for $150 or "best offer":
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/380864499454
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-15-2014 at 05:53 PM.

awesome, thanks. rejected at 85, bought at 95.

they took $90.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Thanks for the heads up. They just accepted $130 for the 3+. They wouldn't accept $120.

^ I had one more bid left and went $135 - crap. Still a good deal
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

$130 works. They still had 20 left.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums

Sounds like a good deal, I don't need one but I'm bumping so others can see it

Is this a good beacon? Better than a Tracker 2?

I like it better than the tracker 2. Both are good beacons. I think the S1 is better than both.

Dumb question, since these are used beacons, any good way to really test them out and make sure they are still fully functional. Obviously the send/receive can be checked with another beacon, but any more specific advice onhow to make sure they won't crap out at an inopportune moment prior to real use?

The seller has them listed as "refurbished", but I suspect there was nothing wrong with them (they were probably a large fleet of rental beacons) and they were shipped to Ortovox for full diagnostic testing prior to being put up for sale. That's why they have bar code stickers on them, Ortovox probably used to the bar codes to track each beacon during testing.

Just my theory, but buying a beacon that just came from the manufacturer is probably safer than buying one from some guy on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Dumb question, since these are used beacons, any good way to really test them out and make sure they are still fully functional. Obviously the send/receive can be checked with another beacon, but any more specific advice onhow to make sure they won't crap out at an inopportune moment prior to real use?
    Be careful what you wish for ... here's my latest file on that:

Suggested Protocol for Testing of Used Avalanche Beacons

Here are some tests, based upon Jeff Lane’s TAR article with my input, plus some additional modifications since then:

1) Perform a check of initial signal acquisition range. This varies enormously among different models, so compare your results to another unit of the same model.
    a) Set up your target so that the long axis of its housing is pointing directly at the searcher. BCA DTS & T2 models make poor targets because the transmission antenna is at a 45-degree angle to the housing, so optimal alignment is difficult to establish. Ortovox 3+, S1+, and Zoom+ “Smart Antenna” models also make poor targets since they can switch transmission between the antenna on the long axis versus the short axis. (The DSP Pro and DSP Sport models can also switch, but they display which antenna is transmitting.)
    b) Start with your test searching beacon in send mode well outside of its receive range.
    c) Then, switch the beacon to search, and walk at a moderate pace toward the target beacon.
    d) Note the distance, turn the beacon back to transmit, and repeat the test a couple times.
    e) Then repeat the entire test, but with the target beacon at a 90-degree angle to the searcher.

2) Perform a check of transmission range.
    a) This is very similar among different models, so just about any other beacon should work as a comparison unit.
    b) But once again, the BCA DTS & T2 make for poor comparison models (unless of course that is the unit you’re trying to test), since mimicking the same alignment as another model is difficult.
    c) And the Ortovox “Smart Antenna” models are kind of hopeless for this test (even when using them as the baseline to test identical units), since you never know which antenna they’re using to transmit.
    d) The test configuration is essentially the same as for initial signal acquisition range, but this time you keep varying the transmission target, and keep the searching beacon constant, so any variation is attributable to different beacons in transmission strength.

3) Inspect the beacon’s casing and harness system for any physical damage, such as cracks or loose switches.

4) Inspect the battery compartment for signs of corrosion or looseness.

5) Inspect all the display components, including making sure the direction arrows function properly when in search mode. For a quick test of a possible problem in this regard:
    a) Set up the target beacon and your test beacon so that they are in optimal coupling alignment, i.e., pointing directly at each other. (Note the previous caveats about BCA and certain Ortovox models.)
    b) Put them far enough apart so that your test beacon is outside the pinpointing/fine phase, but well within the initial acquisition range.
    c) The center directional indicator on the test beacon should display. If not, you have either a broken secondary antenna or some other major problem (consigning the beacon to target-only practice).

6) Ensure the functionality of all buttons and switches. Do they do what they’re supposed to do? If the beacon has an auto-revert function, does it actually revert to send after the specified amount of time and/or lack of activity/motion?

7) Check for frequency drift with another beacon that has such a capability. This is particularly important with older analog beacons, e.g. the F1 Focus, which may drift outside of the international standard for avalanche beacons, 457kHz +/- 80Hz. Unfortunately, you can’t test for frequency drift with the range tests previously described, since different beacons have widely varying abilities to pick up a drifted transmission. Beacons with frequency test functions include:
    a) Pieps discontinued DSP Advanced, discontinued DSP (sans nomenclature appendage), and current DSP Pro (but not the current DSP Sport or the discontinued DSP Tour)
    b) Ortovox S1 (discontinued), S1+, 3+
    c) Barryvox Pulse
    And if you’re really into all this, the Pieps tester is unique in displaying just how far off the frequency is from spec (even if it’s within spec), and the S1/S1+ is unique in also testing for transmission “On” time and total “On” + “Off” cycle time.

8) Run through a couple practice searches, looking for errant behaviors. Try it with single burials and with multiple burials; this is particularly important with modern beacons running complex algorithms. This is much involved and open-ended than any of the prior tests, but then again, it is providing you with additional rescue practice!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

FWIW: I bought an S1 from the ebay seller towards the beginning of the season when they had a large batch. Cost a little more but still a good price, I think. Mine came with a sheet from the Ortovox service center checking off the functionality tests they did.

Of course that is not a guarantee against sudden crap-out, but solid state electronics rarely just up and die for no apparent cause. Even with a new beacon you sort of have to trust that the designers made it robust enough not to suddenly fail, IMO.

Good deal. Just bought the 3+ for $130. Thanks for the heads up.

3+ showed up today - looks great from outside w/ harness. No test sheet though. Now for a manual..
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

I got a S1 and it arrived today. Looked in real good condition. Only sign of wear was a R etched in the back. Turned it on and it showed a search pattern on the scree with a stick figure slowly walking it. I pushed a button of two to see if I could get to the menu. Closed it up and opened it and I have a blank screen. Turning it on and off does not make any sounds. Screen remains lit, but totally blank. Turned it off for a while. Still a problem. Changed batteries. No help. Read through an online manual and no help there. Can return to sender-I have bought from the seller a few times. Good news is the warranty sticker inside is still good. Will call Ortovox unless someone has an idea. Searched on here and saw a few mentions of similar behavior.

Edit: Called Ortovox-have worked with them before and had a good experience. They said it was a warranty issue and to send it in and I may get a new one back.

Weird that it failed right on turning on when the listing said refurbished and you would have thought they would have turned it on and off a few times.
    Last edited by cat in january; 03-13-2014 at 03:22 PM.

That's really odd...nothing in the Ortovox manual about a blank screen other than maybe the contrast setting, but I can't imagine the contrast has that much adjustment.
    http://www.avalanche-center.org/stor...tovox-s1-E.pdf

The seller is great though, I'm sure they'll give you a full refund after returning it (assuming they don't have any more), or maybe trade it out for 3+ if you ask.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-12-2014 at 09:19 PM.

If anybody missed out on the sale and still wants one, I'm selling my old S1. $105 shipped US. Guranteed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I got a S1 and it arrived today. Looked in real good condition. Only sign of wear was a R etched in the back. Turned it on and it showed a search pattern on the scree with a stick figure slowly walking it. I pushed a button of two to see if I could get to the menu. Closed it up and opened it and I have a blank screen. Turning it on and off does not make any sounds. Screen remains lit, but totally blank. Turned it off for a while. Still a problem. Changed batteries. No help. Read through an online manual and no help there. Can return to sender-I have bought from the seller a few times. Good news is the warranty sticker inside is still good. Will call Ortovox unless someone has an idea. Searched on here and saw a few mentions of similar behavior.

Edit: Called Ortovox-have worked with them before and had a good experience. They said it was a warranty issue and to send it in and I may get a new one back.

Weird that it failed right on turning on when the listing said refurbished and you would have thought they would have turned it on and off a few times.
    Yours may just have failed. My experience with the S1 on first opening it was also a little opaque:
    - Need fairly fresh batteries, I first grabbed some that were lying around, and just got blank screen, they weren't fresh enough.
    - When you turn it on closed it's in transmit, open and it goes to search. I think you have to open it all the way to flat, not partway to an angle like a flip-phone.
    - Search shows the stick figure walking to indicate you should be doing coarse search. If there is a beacon transmitting in range, wait a few seconds and it will lock on and give you an arrow and distance.
    - To get to the menu, press the menu key (lower key) and hold for a few seconds.

SOLD
    I picked up more of the cheap S1's than I need, selling one for what I paid: $116. Add $12 for postage & Paypal fee and it's yours. Photos are of actual item.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ortovox-s1-1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	153128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ortovox-s1-2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	153129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ortovox-s1-3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	153127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ortovox-s1-4.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	335.1 KB 
ID:	153126  
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-25-2014 at 09:33 PM.

They just posted another two S1 beacons at $100 each, but I'll bet they'd take an offer of $85. Hell of a good deal for a three-antenna beacon.

Ortovox S1 Avalanche Beacon Digital Transceiver

Just picked up on for $90 + shipping. Thank you 1000-oaks for the heads up!

Another thanks, I just picked up the other one...

They put up a bunch more S1's but raised the price: Ortovox S1 Avalanche Beacon Digital Transceiver

In the past they're accepted offers of around $20 less than the asking price, so offer $120 and see if they take it. If not, you can make three offers so work your way up in $5 increments.

just grabbed one for $110. Thanks for the PSA-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's