Last-minute advice- Targhee or JH during wind/storm

On the road currently, watching the forecast -

I've never skied at Jackson Hole or Grand Targhee. Looks like a storm is coming on Monday. Do either JH or Targhee tend to close down all or substantial parts of the mountain during high wind events? i.e., is one or the other a better a pick for storm skiing?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I skied a few storm year before last, but far from a local. My experience was GT was tough with no tree reference points and on the flat side. JH has the pitch you want to ski storm snow and they do their best to keep lifts open in the wind.

The drive in to GT can be a bit trick in a storm and of course you have the pass to cross if you are staying in Jackson.

So this one time Jong votes for JH.

Well, the Village has 12 or so lifts, that go down lower.
    Targhee really only has three (good ones), and DC and Blackfoot often go down during wind events.
    It's a haul to go up there to find out.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Targhee really only has three (good ones), and DC and Blackfoot often go down during wind events.
    That said, Targhee during a storm, with lifs open, is usually EMPTY, and you will get refills all the way until 4:00.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks all - I'll keep watching the forecast and see how windy it looks like it'll be.

Considering whether to stay up around Jackson for 3 days (we have 2 JH tickets from Mountain Collective), or whether to head down towards SLC (Snowbasin or Powder Mtn - haven't skied either of those) for Tuesday. Looks like the storm will be Monday night & into Tuesday.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Keep an eye on the temps too. Targhee can have snow, while it rains in the village.

Free Alta/Bird>1/2 price Jackson>Snowbasin or Powmow full price.

Loose plan is 2 days Jackson, 1 day Powder Mtn, 2 days Alta/Bird (combination Mtn Collective pass).

Somewhere I remember reading about a location near Ogden that sells discounted Pow Mow tickets. Need to search and find that.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks all - I'll keep watching the forecast and see how windy it looks like it'll be.

Considering whether to stay up around Jackson for 3 days (we have 2 JH tickets from Mountain Collective), or whether to head down towards SLC (Snowbasin or Powder Mtn - haven't skied either of those) for Tuesday. Looks like the storm will be Monday night & into Tuesday.
    I wouldn't drive down to Utah during a storm. Tetons have been getting the better end of the stick all season and the shitty driving conditions likely won't be worth it. That said, I'd look to make it down there when the weather clears out. That 5 hr drive through remote country could easily turn into 8+ soul crushing hours, and you'd be driving AWAY from the good snow...

That said, Targhee during a storm, with lifs open, is usually EMPTY, and you will get refills all the way until 4:00.
    Totally agree w/ Rideit. Targhee rocks during storm. Great lines w/o much competition. The only problem can be visibility due to fog/low ceiling clouds.

Agree w/ what someone else said... if you're staying in Jackson not worth the drive over the Pass into Idaho. If storm w/ winds and significant snow the Pass will be closed. If a road-trip, then put yourself in position in Driggs the afternoon/evening before the storm. Driggs has some inexpensive motels.

If you chasing the pow, then better to head up North into Montana; Big Sky, etc., not South!

If it is Spring skiing you are after, you will find it in the Wasatch. Wasatch temps have been in the mid-40's at 8000ft for the last few days. We have hit 50 today (Sunday). Slush at 8000 ft in afternoons.

You won't see blower down here. Rain and snow mix... and not much of it. Wasatch will just get glanced by storm. Forecast: Monday - 48 and showers in PM. Tuesday snow showers and 34. Go North.

but, if your heart is set on the Wasatch and you hitting up Powder Mtn., you should hit up Snowbasin before coming down to Alta/Snowbird. Mid-week both Snowbasin and Powder Mtn will have PLENTY of elbow room and excellent terrain up high. Spring Break crowds have arrived in the SLC and Park City areas..
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I skied a few storm year before last, but far from a local. My experience was GT was tough with no tree reference points and on the flat side. JH has the pitch you want to ski storm snow and they do their best to keep lifts open in the wind.

The drive in to GT can be a bit trick in a storm and of course you have the pass to cross if you are staying in Jackson.

So this one time Jong votes for JH.
    If you are skiing with a steady hawk then this is theright assessment IME.

Two fold win with JH:
    The lifts below all the quite generous ridge line have a much better chance against the wind and anything
    below treeline gives the ultimate in protection and reference. The thing that gets JH in trouble; high output
    dumpage with wind loaded aspects above and at the top of the protected lifts need avy mitigation.

Avy hold is way more frequent than wind IME.

JHMR has got inbounds so wired that an avy hold till after lunch would be way outta the ordinary.
    And if it does, then miss your flight because there is no reason to leave.
    Last edited by Gepeto; 03-09-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

I am at alta (great two days) but wishing I could extend my trip north to hit GT/pass/village. GT can be way flat in a storm but low competition and the noted refills. I'd vote for village if you have mtn collective and a pass/gt day over coming south to Utah.

We drove here, and are driving to SLC, then back home to Reno later in the week.

Plan is to ski JH again tomorrow, then -- conditions permitting, and I think they will -- head south to Ogden. We've got 2 days of Alta/Bird tickets from Mtn Collective to use, so we're skiing there 2 out of the remaining 3 days of our trip -- the third is up in the air, and was leaning towards Pow Mow, but we could go for another day at Alta/Bird.