Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Dirty Line into Spanky's Ladder on Blackcomb Mountain

My buddy MikeNixon wrote an article on Biglines.com about it and its been generating some pretty heated discussions. Feel free to weight in on it, weather your from Whistler or not !

http://www.biglines.com/articles/dis...kcomb-mountain
    Just fucking point it and shut up

I'm not linking that shit to facebook - so I'll comment here.

I don't take the dirty because I think it's got a sketchy fall, but I don't see the issue with those who do.

Seems like there's a misunderstanding about the boot pack - the second boot pack doesn't cut the first one's line. They are two parallel boot packs (if you're one of those who steps over at the top to block the first, that's a different issue) and both are listed as entrances in the guide book.

What if I get to the bottom of the dirty and start a second line? Is taking the second boot pack to the top ok then? Or what about getting into whistler bowl? Is it wrong to enter through any of the other three entrances while people line up for the main one?

Sort of like a line up at the cashier, if one has a line and I go to the next one, am I a jerk? If you're willing to get physically violent about someone walking past you to get to snow, you might be a bit too wound up for skiing.

This seems idiotic to me. I used to ski W/B a lot in the 90's and there was never I line like that at Spankys. If the other line (dirty ) is a legit entrance and patrol is fine with it then you have 2 legit entrances. I can't fathom people getting pissed. Use that anger and climb the other line if you are mad. It seems like skiing has become like surfing.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I use the bootpack because it's convenient. However you get to the Spanky's entrance is fine with me. OTOH, I'm never going to stand in a long line waiting for the flag to drop. I'd rather be skiing.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Hugh Conway Guest
    STOKE THREAD!

GoPro of radness for both lines needed

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    GoPro of radness for both lines needed
    webcam pay per view on pow days...POWDERBATTLEROYALE!

Pansy? Just asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the most extreme skier in my office. I'll see your III and raise you one level of radness.

I don't remember much use of the Dirty my first few seasons out here, 06, 07, 08. Seems last year and this year way more people using it.

Wherzz teh Gopro footy of the boarder shoveling snow on the chick till she cries?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

For perspective, it's just skiing. We do it for fun. If you don't want to deal with resort craziness, go for a tour.

Out of courtesy, I think waiting 10 minutes for those who waited for opening to clear would be nice, but the second bootpack is totally fair game if there is a lineup of bumbling snowbladers with goggles hanging off the back of their helmets, taking 10 minutes to climb and threatening to domino everyone behind them.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    For perspective, it's just skiing. We do it for fun. If you don't want to deal with resort craziness, go for a tour.
    people are perspectiveless assholes for fun at Whistler? works to describe most broheim places these days.

20 years ago I left New Jersey to be a ski bum and escape the rat race, now that same mentality is coming to the overcrowded western ski resorts.

only the overcrowded resorts.
    b

Simple if you are going to get mad at someone passing you, go start a line at the dirty
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

This speed limit mentality is bound to spill over into downhill traffic as well and a two faceplants per turn rule will be brutally enforced.

I don't get what the controversy is, is it because of all the aussies?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    20 years ago I left New Jersey to be a ski bum and escape the rat race, now that same mentality is coming to the overcrowded western ski resorts.
    blame fat skis. before fat skis, the masses enjoyed groomers, and mostly groomers just fine. many skiers waited till pow got groomed out before riding pad. fat skis brought the masses to da powz and "extreme" terrain. you can blame helmets and those teletubby go bro cameras as well.

it's a GSA world. every cube junky wants to get their rad weekend TGR on. and is in a mad rush hour traffic to get it.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Wherzz teh Gopro footy of the boarder shoveling snow on the chick till she cries?
    That sounds like some good fwappin footage.

the one time I skied WB there wasn't that much of a line and only the clean. My kid didn't feel like looking up at boot soles for ten minutes--people were climbing slow--so he just sidestepped up to the right of the boot pack. Another guy tried to follow him and about killed himself.

Regardless of how anyone feels about the clean line vs the dirty line, everyone in either line who watched that incident and did nothing should be ashamed of themselves and has no right to call themselves a human being. It's hard to believe only one person had the balls and the concern to confront someone who was abusing someone like that--and him only after the woman who was abused had left. If anyone who witnessed the incident is reading this--shame on you shame on you shame on you. And shame on anyone who thinks this is funny.
    Last edited by old goat; 03-09-2014 at 08:01 AM.

So it's kinda like a two lane highway. Right lane for the slow people who want a leisurely stroll and left lane for those who want to get after it. What's the big deal? My guess is the two different types of people will be skiing two different types of lines anyway.

The bigger question is if you saw some dude throwing down on a chick would you get involved knowing you'll be getting past while beating his ass and making sure the chick is ok or would you just ski past and let someone else help her?

No, I don't have any naked pics of what this theoretical chick looks like.

glock i win!!!!!!!!!!!!1

That is one fucking long line. I wonder how many of those folks flail on the way down. Seems comical that they expect only one boot pack when there is room for two (or more even when there is plenty of snow).

Sure doesn't look like a full on separate route to me. Seems like basic line cutting being rationalized by rude people. With the ultimate predictable and crappy result of a mob scene. Pity that such a great resource would turn into this sort of mess.

I, for one, don't appreciate mob scenes. It makes the whole vibe less fun. As with a few other places, it strikes me there is a supply/demand/pricing mismatch. Which kind of degrades the experience for all. If they upped prices 50%, I wonder if crowds would drop and crowd related problems would diminish - while profits would likely remain solid because a decent number of folks would appreciate the much improved experience. I know I'd pay more to have my daily hill - Stevens - cut back on the shitshow crowding and behavior that has been so standard this year.

I also wonder how many of the folks cranking up the dirty line are biting the hand that feeds them?

She probably deserved it.

Location and venue don't make a difference. Line etiquette is line etiquette, period. It's the same concept in traffic road rage.