Page 207 of 465 FirstFirst ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 11614
    How and where do they meter to keep people from sitting under the Sisters?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Seemed like they were doing it at the CDOT shed above the Basin from what I could tell from the chairlift. I see this every Sunday while I drive the other direction down the pass.

I guess I don't really get the logic. People sit in traffic under the prof and widow maker all the time, but the sisters that have gazex on em are the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    They deal with it because skiing and snowboarding is fun. Period.
    I'm sorry, but unless it was a 20" powder day with free refills all day long, fuck that.

And I get that an accident caused the backup on Sunday, but it's not much better accident-free these days.

20" new with free refills...maybe at Snowbird. You'll be waiting a long time for one of those days around here.
    Sounds like you've thrown in the towel - you even ski anymore?

20" new with free refills...maybe at Snowbird. You'll be waiting a long time for one of those days around here.
    Seriously. No day on a bike is ever as good as 20" with free refills so gotta slum it and pedal.

He threw in the towel as far as doing the front range I-70 trek, that doesn't mean he threw in the towel on skiing. He escaped. Big difference.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

He threw in the towel as far as doing the front range I-70 trek, that doesn't mean he threw in the towel on skiing. He escaped. Big difference.
    Escape to Eldora? Sounds amazing. A day there with winds less than 20 mph is probably heavenly

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I guess I don't really get the logic. People sit in traffic under the prof and widow maker all the time, but the sisters that have gazex on em are the problem?
    I think its that R2s on the Sisters will hit the road while you really need a R5 to hit the road on Prof.

Same logic as to why Sisters are a permanent FS closure while people ski Prof all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I average 80 mph through glenwood canyon today
    boy was that fun, two hands on the wheel, fourth gear at 70mph was not a good idea, pucker on a few curves, the dog was not happy
    and some doosh in a bmw x6 though he was going keep up with me
    there is never any i70 traffic after vail

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Escape to Eldora? Sounds amazing. A day there with winds less than 20 mph is probably heavenly
    I'm pretty sure he lives in Eagle now.

I'm pretty sure he lives in Eagle now.
    Nope, not yet.... a few months away- still in Niwot for now.

And yeah, I threw in the towel a couple of years ago on skiing while living on the Front Range. It's not worth it when I can ride my mountain bike (almost) year round and I don't have to waste an entire day driving in order to do it. I used to ski 30-50 days a year, but I just can't deal with that shit anymore.

But I just got some new skis mounted and I'm buying a pass for next season... I'm back in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Nope, not yet.... a few months away- still in Niwot for now.

And yeah, I threw in the towel a couple of years ago on skiing while living on the Front Range. It's not worth it when I can ride my mountain bike (almost) year round and I don't have to waste an entire day driving in order to do it. I used to ski 30-50 days a year, but I just can't deal with that shit anymore.

But I just got some new skis mounted and I'm buying a pass for next season... I'm back in the game.

Welcome, another 150” year and you’ll quit for good.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

There was a CDOT truck sitting with his lights flashing at the turn just before the sisters (coming down). He wasn’t metering when I went by but traffic also broke up at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I think its that R2s on the Sisters will hit the road while you really need a R5 to hit the road on Prof.

Same logic as to why Sisters are a permanent FS closure while people ski Prof all the time.
    There was a snowboard track coming right down the middle of one of them on Saturday. It stood out as being very unusual.

They also face north and get heavily cross loaded, very different slope than prof.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I average 80 mph through glenwood canyon today
    boy was that fun, two hands on the wheel, fourth gear at 70mph was not a good idea, pucker on a few curves, the dog was not happy
    and some doosh in a bmw x6 though he was going keep up with me
    I put my cruise on 75 through the canyon and I've got a beater fiesta with snows. There is only one right-hander that I actually have to pay attention to.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Unless a rock falls on the highway in Glenwood canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    An avalanche shed over 6, below the sister's, could make that area Loveland side country. Just exit the gate at the basin and get on the bus at the valley. Maybe a mandatory air off the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Unless a rock falls on the highway in Glenwood canyon.
    Actually when that happens, there's absolutely no traffic after Vail on I-70.

And no bread on the shelves in Aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    And no bread on the shelves in Aspen.
    And no plum pudding for tiny Tim.

Heading up last Friday around 5:30 pm...get onto 70 from 6, traffic's a little thick but moving along 60ish...a turn or two and there's brake lights...then almost stops...crawl through under the god damn CDOT sign at Central City Parkway that has two screens warning of traffic to the tunnel...then traffic thins and moves...

Who are these fucking idiots who have to slow down to read a sign? How can CDOT justify having two screen messages when they know it slows and stops traffic? Are all CDOT people fucking idiots or just those making the decisions?

I think if you use ski racks on your vehicle for your gear, you should keep the music turned down a little. That way when you forget to latch your rack and someone is honking wildly at you, then you could hear them.

Also, free snowboard and skis available in Vail for local pick-up. Maybe about MM181 EB.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Heading up last Friday around 5:30 pm...get onto 70 from 6, traffic's a little thick but moving along 60ish...a turn or two and there's brake lights...then almost stops...crawl through under the god damn CDOT sign at Central City Parkway that has two screens warning of traffic to the tunnel...then traffic thins and moves...

Who are these fucking idiots who have to slow down to read a sign? How can CDOT justify having two screen messages when they know it slows and stops traffic? Are all CDOT people fucking idiots or just those making the decisions?
    It’s a Colorado thing, and yea, I’m pretty sure CDOT take a f-u attitude towards the general public.

I drove from Denver to Fruita on Wednesday afternoon. There were two separate cone-zones, one around St. Mary’s and one in Glenwood Canyon, where a Lane was blocked but there were no workers and no machinery. The one near St. Mary’s was probably two miles long. WTF? Did CDOT just feel like creating traffic problems because there weren’t any already?

They're called traffic calming procedures, designed to slow things down.