Page 242 of 287 FirstFirst ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 ... LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 7158
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Is this true - I'd love for this to be true and not just a sign of things to come. Have you noticed the weekend after the 3 day being really bad?
    Yeah, definitely every year. As I said earlier, Snow Sculptures in Breck, X-Games, no football, etc. For some reason, there's always a shitload of people in town this weekend every year and the roads are a complete shitshow. I'm not saying that it isn't getting worse all the time though.

But apparently now, EB I70 is closed this morning for a fire in the tunnel, and the pass is closed. So staying overnight will still screw some people.

I have never seen traffic backed up over BP summit and back to 2nd creek and then from the Jane past the town shop. None of those people were at X games or sculptures.

Question for any of you that were at Winter Park. Honestly, how were the lines? I hate the busiest as much as the next guy but I've never felt like the lift lines were that bad. As in 10mins is bad. Has that changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Breck was so jammed last night that I was north of Breck and caught 15 minutes of traffic delays just driving away from Breck due to people who were trying to park in Breck being turned away and having nowhere to go and milling about side roads going north! I saw queues of 200 people at bus stops north of town where there were no bathrooms and people were trying to get into any building they could so their kids could pee because they'd been waiting at the bus stop for 30 minutes after sitting in traffic to get to the bus stop. When one business closed up someone had their use the bushes on the side of the building.

Loveland Pass was 10mph from Keystone by 1PM and degraded into stop and go by 4PM with the line of cars extending into Keystone by 6PM. Google maps shoed 1.5hrs from Keystone to Loveland. That means tons of cars stopped under slide paths. They used to do safety closures for this??? Of course LP safety closures of course mean that I70 backs up from Dillon to Swan Mountain and Keystone becomes gridlock. But one day there is gonna be 12 vehicles hit by one avalanche and the emergency response will be impossible due to gridlock.

I70 traffic was so bad that it was backed up to Copper and off the highway in Silverthorne through Dillon almost to Corinthian with retards turning Dillon side streets into miles of gridlock (including the City Market/Dillon Ridge shopping center!) as people vied to gain 30 seconds. People were just sitting in the middle of major intersections texting in the stop go oblivious to the idea that cross traffic might need to get through the intersection.

I've never honked my horn more in my life than just getting back from Dillon to Keystone today. Living up here for 16+ years I've usually easily avoided traffic in-county with simple life planning save for weather. But to have lost an hour in traffic during good weather this weekend just getting around Summit is a new level of insanity! This was a capacity problem pure and simple.
    Breck traffic on Saturday evening was like nothing I've seen before. Every parking lot was full from Coyne Valley Road/CMC into town.....pure craziness. Nowhere for people to go. At least town officials have a year to plan for next year!

I skied Copper yesterday with my brothers and their families and it took me nearly 30 minutes just to get from Copper to Frisco......I've never experienced or heard of that happening simply due to traffic volume. Absolute insanity. And yet, the mountain was quite empty. Go figure.
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing “skins” or “hike mode.” Tell me again how I’m a gaper.
    -mikdes26

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    And yet, the mountain was quite empty. Go figure.
    Yeah, I've notice this a lot this year. Parking and traffic are a shitshow, but the mountain isn't bad. Maybe it is all the new lifts around the county and such, spreading people out better.

Nice video of Jerry and his 2wd truck playing "spin it to win it" on I70 this morning.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/i-7...iple-spinouts/

Seriously folks, get some better tires, chains, or something before you come jam up the interstate.

No real lines at the Basin for most of the day but watched Loveland pass turn into a parking lot at 1:30 and never let up. Hung out in Frisco til 8 but still took 1:15 to get through the tunnel. It actually was pretty smooth once through the tunnel but that was a brutal drive... Guess it will make my drive to Jackson this weekend feel quicker.

So glad I didn’t take my kid to ski and just enjoyed the 55° weather and hiked in Boulder. Who needs that shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I have never seen traffic backed up over BP summit and back to 2nd creek and then from the Jane past the town shop. None of those people were at X games or sculptures.

Question for any of you that were at Winter Park. Honestly, how were the lines? I hate the busiest as much as the next guy but I've never felt like the lift lines were that bad. As in 10mins is bad. Has that changed?
    I didn’t think the WP lift lines were bad at all. Usual crowd at the Super Gauge, but it has been far worse. C lift didn’t look bad. Spent a good chunk of the day lapping the bumps off Pioneer. No line to speak of there at all. I did not hit anything off WP base, so no idea what that was like. Still, I really can’t figure out where all of the people who were in the line of traffic to Empire came from. If they were on the hill, I’m not sure where.

Still, I really can’t figure out where all of the people who were in the line of traffic to Empire came from. If they were on the hill, I’m not sure where.
    I think that Berthoud is kinda equalizing with the tunnel. Traffic was thick down valley past the ski area. It was the big ice fishing tournament in Grand Lake plus a lot of Steamboat Traffic adds to it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoMike View Post
    I didn’t think the WP lift lines were bad at all. Usual crowd at the Super Gauge, but it has been far worse. C lift didn’t look bad. Spent a good chunk of the day lapping the bumps off Pioneer. No line to speak of there at all. I did not hit anything off WP base, so no idea what that was like. Still, I really can’t figure out where all of the people who were in the line of traffic to Empire came from. If they were on the hill, I’m not sure where.
    Yeah, I've had the same experience this year. A few weeks ago traffic was backedup from Empire to the bottom of the switchbacks, but the Jane side of the mountain was empty. Last weekend, there were finally enough people to fill up the Pano lift lines, as an example, but still not "crowded" like it sometimes is and that weekend there was almost no backup at Empire. Makes no sense.

So where the hell are all the people? Are they taking three runs on blues and greens and then heading to the bar? Steamboat was empty Friday and Sunday this weekend, but packed Saturday (weekend powder day.) but NO lines at 4 points chair, Storm King, and Pony. Bar UE had a small line, and Morningside was better than it often is. Bizarre. Powder lap after powder lap.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm feeling like there are more people at the mountains with skis and boards but fewer actually skiing? Or more on blues and green for a few runs then head in to lunch and be done? We ducked inside to pound some food Saturday and in the 25 minutes we were there a woman next to us finished her first glass of wine, drank a second and started a third.

Are there more "ski tourists" but fewer skiers? That's my current working assumption.
    Last edited by beece; 01-28-2019 at 10:36 AM.

I think that Berthoud is kinda equalizing with the tunnel. Traffic was thick down valley past the ski area. It was the big ice fishing tournament in Grand Lake plus a lot of Steamboat Traffic adds to it I think.
    Zero traffic from Steamboat to Silverthorne on Sunday, fwiw.

I think that it'd be cool if there was one weekend where none of the mountain town put on a stupid event. Nothing to draw people up from Denver, just a good old fashioned regular ass weekend. Let's just have fun and ski without a fucking bacon festival or some dumb shit to draw 10 million people to the mountains.

Get's pretty old when every weekend is a holiday, festival, event, etc. Come on people, let's have a "Stay the Fuck in Denver" festival where we close the tunnel and pass for Thursday-Sunday.

So glad I got the goods on Friday/Saturday in Steamboat and decided to skip Sunday and just roll home around 9:30am. By the time we were headed up the hill at 10:30am it was already getting busy, but moving well. You could tell it was going to be horrific later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    So glad I got the goods on Friday/Saturday in Steamboat and decided to skip Sunday and just roll home around 9:30am. By the time we were headed up the hill at 10:30am it was already getting busy, but moving well, you could tell it was going to be horrific later on.
    Wise choice.
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing “skins” or “hike mode.” Tell me again how I’m a gaper.
    -mikdes26

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I think that it'd be cool if there was one weekend where none of the mountain town put on a stupid event. Nothing to draw people up from Denver, just a good old fashioned regular ass weekend. Let's just have fun and ski without a fucking bacon festival or some dumb shit to draw 10 million people to the mountains.

Get's pretty old when every weekend is a holiday, festival, event, etc. Come on people, let's have a "Stay the Fuck in Denver" festival where we close the tunnel and pass for Thursday-Sunday.
    I lived in Estes for a good while, talk about festival fever. The same town puts one on nearly every weekend August-Nov.

Bitch all you want, but until Coloradans vote to fund beefing up our infrastructure, this is the new normal. This shit is fixable and self-inflicted. Imagine if Coloradans never supported the original construction of I70 through the mountains. We would still be driving on a two lane road.

I took the kids to X games Saturday night and yesterday, we basically had Aspen highlands all to ourselves. Cruised from Aspen to Silverthorne, no traffic. 1.5 hours from silverthorne to tunnel (at 8:00 pm!), then cruised from the tunnel home with no traffic. Still had a great weekend, and didn't let the traffic ruin it for us.

OTOH, metering at the tunnel is great for those who ski Loveland.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Bitch all you want, but until Coloradans vote to fund beefing up our infrastructure, this is the new normal.
    Disagree... increased capacity will just mean more people come up. Clearly people are willing to suffer at this level. We'll just have more people and the same level of suffering.

The only thing I can think of that could make a meaningful difference is opening a mega resort at Twin Cone Peaks off 285 and/or building a highway up to Moffat East Portal and putting a megaresort there.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Or make 285 a real highway and bore through Mosquito Pass to the Leadville area.

But I agree: it’s a valve. Easier access = even more tourists in towns. Keep it the way it is. I just cannot believe people put up with that shit. And I do think many just get a few runs in and eat. Ski tourists is right.

I’ll just keep skiing weekdays.

Is this thread on the proper repeat loop?

The mountain towns don't care about I 70 traffic. They do care about when I 70 traffic backs up into said towns.

The idea that increasing capacity for those choosing to travel in order to recreate in the mountains at peak times would be a priority for the voters of Colorado is kinda laughable.

The problem is the people and not the road. It sucks, but the joke is on us. Think about traffic problems elsewhere in the US and what is being done about it.

<snip>

The problem is the people and not the road.
    It's kind of a shame that we don't have some sort of, I don't know, robot-driven cars or something that would allow us to avoid the human-driver-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Disagree... increased capacity will just mean more people come up. Clearly people are willing to suffer at this level. We'll just have more people and the same level of suffering.

The only thing I can think of that could make a meaningful difference is opening a mega resort at Twin Cone Peaks off 285 and/or building a highway up to Moffat East Portal and putting a megaresort there.
    Disagree, Adding additional lanes and tolling them seems to work well at reducing overall traffic in the Denver area. Traffic used to back up EB from empire to Floyd Hill without the toll lane. Now traffic rarely backs up in that location.

An additional success story with this model is US36 Denver to Boulder .

Is this where the “build a train” fits into the loop?

The real problem is the "peak hours" part.

If anyone wants to take a meaningful step towards reducing traffic congestion, please feel free to compose a strongly worded letter to my boss encouraging him to let me work remotely and with flexible hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

Disagree, Adding additional lanes and tolling them seems to work well at reducing overall traffic in the Denver area. Traffic used to back up EB from empire to Floyd Hill without the toll lane. Now traffic rarely backs up in that location.
    I think the analogy here is moving the valve. The other all capacity of Denver>Summit hasn't changed, you just moved the bottleneck.

Yesterday, XXX people were willing to sit it traffic for YYY time to go skiing. Your argument is that XXX is a constant and increasing capacity will decrease time to go skiing. Summits point is that YYY is the constant and if capacity is increased more people will drive the road until the time is YYY.

The equation is of coarse way more complicated that that and involves factors like , price of passes, perceived quality of skiing, weather, tires etc...

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post

An additional success story with this model is US36 Denver to Boulder .
    It's really a shame that they can't make the *entire* I-70 section from Golden to Vail toll during normal congestion periods.