Page 232 of 287 FirstFirst ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 7158
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Holiday weekend coming with powder in the forecast = massive clusterfuck everywhere.
    holiday weekends don't matter anymore
    it seems to be every weekend now thursday mid day thru sat pm
    breck was super epic cluster fuck status all weekend
    a guy I know drives from silverthorne to breck every day he's got an impressive collection of photos and video of the carniage he sees everyday on his commute

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Yeah, ULLR fest + Big beers Belgians and Barleywines fest made for a pretty crazy weekend over there. Saw a big crash Friday night that shut down the hwy on the way out of town for a while and looked like a nice shitshow.

Holiday weekends make Friday nights worse, but coming home on Sunday (or Monday) is better than a normal Sunday.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

holiday weekends don't matter anymore
    it seems to be every weekend now thursday mid day thru sat pm
    a guy I know drives from silverthorne to breck every day he's got an impressive collection of photos and video of the carniage he sees everyday on his commute
    Pretty much. I feel like it has been that way for years. The typical front ranger, day tripper, second home owner type "doesn't ski over the holidays" and "won't go up on MLK". So the reverse psy opps is in effect. Sure town, the base areas and the tubing hills are packed during the "busy times" but the skiing is totally manageable.

But the next weekend after the holidays or any weekend with fresh snow and and the front range mafia is out in full force. I try not to be too stereotypical but it is hard when the confirmation is right in your face. I've been spending quite a few Sunday afternoons on the Park Side as I have a bunch of super good friends who's kids are skiing now.

I witnessed how self absorb parents are in Sorensen Park when picking up there kids. Ski school actually has to fence them out. When they release the hounds it is like Pamplona. Adults were almost trampling 4 year olds in order to get to there special snowfake. It was sickening really.

I then got to witness the scene at skier drop off. There were litterally 20 families that were clones of each other. Tundra or Foreunner, Stio or Patty, black lab or doodle...all perfectly accessorized with the stickers rocket box, approved hoody from the brewery of your choice, an obscure flat brim announcing another one of your passions and of course...the bitch MILF who forgot how to be genuinely nice years ago.

I honestly have a lot of compassion for you real people (my friends) who have to exist in that scene down in brown town and try to enjoy skiing. I don't think I could do it.

Town is blown out every weekend from Xmas thru March, but the mountain skied just fine yesterday. Heard Saturday was a bonafide shitshow tho.

It's not the tourists that are making it unbearable......it's the massive influx of Frangers.
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing “skins” or “hike mode.” Tell me again how I’m a gaper.
    -mikdes26

Haha.....spot on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I then got to witness the scene at skier drop off. There were litterally 20 families that were clones of each other. Tundra or Foreunner, Stio or Patty, black lab or doodle...all perfectly accessorized with the stickers rocket box, approved hoody from the brewery of your choice, an obscure flat brim announcing another one of your passions and of course...the bitch MILF who forgot how to be genuinely nice years ago.
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing “skins” or “hike mode.” Tell me again how I’m a gaper.
    -mikdes26

It's funny because it is all so superficial and doesn't really matter. Aside from the Toyota (I drive a Ford) and the stickers (I don't but them on vehicles), it could be me. Sure, my get up is a little more dirty and my Dickies are tucked in my Muck's but it's all about the same.

What makes me laugh is the whole transition from the khakis and button down to getting all mountain-y. I'm super out of touch, but what do these folks look like at Bridger's LAX game down in Highlands Ranch? Are they all mountiain-y all the time or do they flip a switch?

Ok I was baffled by this. Got a loooong backup on Clear Creek getting onto I70. But still traffic was moving ok on 70 and made it to Jane parking reasonably timely - was there by 9:45. A bit later than I was hoping but not terrible. Coming back the backup started WELL above Empire, about as far back as I've seen it, but then once on 70 moved pretty well and back home in about 2 hours total. Maybe 2:10. Again, not bad.

But both of those backups were kind of unusual, which led me to believe there was a lot of traffic. Usually it's 70 that is awful, but not so much through Empire and not sure much on Clear Creek. But there was NOONE at Jane. No lift lines at Eagle Wind. No lift lines really at Pano. Sunnyside wasn't bad. Stopped in a Jane base for some sammies and fries, and easily found a table. No lines at Super Gauge or Pony.

So where the hell was everyone? On the Park side? Jane was EMPTY but there was still weird traffic that I'm not used to. I admit I didn't ski Jane much last year, but was there a lot the year before. Has it really changed that much in a season? Or is Ikon driving more skiers to the Park side and Jane is left alone?

Riddle me this one.

You guys sure have built up a pretty quality "us vs. them" world-view. Congratulations.

Nice high horse Foggy!

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Ok I was baffled by this. Got a loooong backup on Clear Creek getting onto I70. But still traffic was moving ok on 70 and made it to Jane parking reasonably timely - was there by 9:45. A bit later than I was hoping but not terrible. Coming back the backup started WELL above Empire, about as far back as I've seen it, but then once on 70 moved pretty well and back home in about 2 hours total. Maybe 2:10. Again, not bad.

But both of those backups were kind of unusual, which led me to believe there was a lot of traffic. Usually it's 70 that is awful, but not so much through Empire and not sure much on Clear Creek. But there was NOONE at Jane. No lift lines at Eagle Wind. No lift lines really at Pano. Sunnyside wasn't bad. Stopped in a Jane base for some sammies and fries, and easily found a table. No lines at Super Gauge or Pony.

So where the hell was everyone? On the Park side? Jane was EMPTY but there was still weird traffic that I'm not used to. I admit I didn't ski Jane much last year, but was there a lot the year before. Has it really changed that much in a season? Or is Ikon driving more skiers to the Park side and Jane is left alone?

Riddle me this one.
    No one skis at WP or the Jane anymore. Its too busy.

Everyone just skis a 600' lap at Berthoud and calls it good.

The Park Side wasn't busy yesterday afternoon. Isn't the traffic metered at the Empire on ramp with a light? Could that be causing the backup.

I'm not being critical merely making observations. Happy people are good people. Do whatever you want as long as it doesn't stop others doing the same. I understand why people play the game down in the suburbs. It is just not for me, I tried it. They are assholes from everywhere, many of them look like me and act like me. Some of my best friends in the world work office jobs down in the city and ski on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You guys sure have built up a pretty quality "us vs. them" world-view. Congratulations.
    we're a couple of posts from the "you're not in traffic" post.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Everyone just skis a 600' lap at Berthoud and calls it good.
    Make sure you get the shot for the 'gram on the tailgate of the Tacoma with the DPS and the micro brew of choice. Bonus point for the buff over the flat brim with the hood up on the puffy.

The Park Side wasn't busy yesterday afternoon. Isn't the traffic metered at the Empire on ramp with a light? Could that be causing the backup.
    The pre-Empire backup (going back down to Denver) is almost always caused by that traffic light at the beginning of town, not the I-70 metering.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Abasin had folks parking on the road today instead of the lower pullout lots. Weird, some cars were even blocking one lane and there were cones behind one car where the lane was blocked. It was on both sides of the road too. Ended up slowing down traffic a decent amount, especially the hazmat semis. Don't know why they were doing it that way but seemed like a safety hazard.
    What's that sign say......AVALANCHE AREA, NO STOPPING OR STANDING NEXT 3/4 MILE
    "Meh.....I think we're good to park there".
    -mikdes26

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    we're a couple of posts from the "you're not in traffic" post.
    The wild card this time of year is the old "it's not that bad!" commentary.

"Just ski Breck on a Wednesday afternoon!" , "go to WC/Monarch", "sleep in van", "leave at 5am instead of 6am", etc.

There haven't been epic closures quite yet where it's 6+ hours Vail to Denver. That really gets this place jumpin'

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Nice high horse Foggy!
    Oh if you knew him you would know it isn't very tall

You get to have fun observing the "clones" (love this btw) when you get baked and sit back and watch.

Make sure you get the shot for the 'gram on the tailgate of the Tacoma with the DPS and the micro brew of choice. Bonus point for the buff over the flat brim with the hood up on the puffy.
    Hey don't make fun of Adrenalated

Nice high horse Foggy!
    Honest question, are you should you ain't reading something that ain't there? Many people an insufferable fucks. Some of them live in the mountains, so of them live in the suburbs. I make my life choices, you make yours.

It kinda seems like the us vs. them think is being manufactured by the out of towners. If you ain't a miserable fuck, it don't apply to you. How many people you pull out of the ditch this year? How many jumps starts you given? How much garbage you picked up out of your neighborhood on a Monday morning from the residual party? How much time you volunteer to help lower income kids get skiing?

Everyone is welcome in the mountains. All the people that chose to make this our home ask is that you treat this little corner of the world with a little respect. Life is symbiotic, we all need each other for something.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    What's that sign say......AVALANCHE AREA, NO STOPPING OR STANDING NEXT 3/4 MILE
    "Meh.....I think we're good to park there".
    Yeah, that was another thing that came up. Parked at the bottom of Widowmaker, which has slid across the road many times in the past. I left later in the day after hanging at the bar and there were still cars on the side of the road after dark. I don't know what happened, no one was parked in the other pullouts lower down.

I could tell you a story about a #lowhorse #therealgrandcounty involving a actual mini horse in the highschool for show and tell but I'd get accused of some type of faux mountain coolness something

Honest question, are you should you ain't reading something that ain't there? Many people an insufferable fucks. Some of them live in the mountains, so of them live in the suburbs. I make my life choices, you make yours.

It kinda seems like the us vs. them think is being manufactured by the out of towners. If you ain't a miserable fuck, it don't apply to you. How many people you pull out of the ditch this year? How many jumps starts you given? How much garbage you picked up out of your neighborhood on a Monday morning from the residual party? How much time you volunteer to help lower income kids get skiing?

Everyone is welcome in the mountains. All the people that chose to make this our home ask is that you treat this little corner of the world with a little respect. Life is symbiotic, we all need each other for something.
    He pulled me out of a ditch this year.

He ain't a miserable fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Hey don't make fun of Adrenalated
    I just looked and I have no idea why I can't find a photo of myself matching this description. I guess I'm 'gramming wrong, will fix

Foggy is missing some details though:
    -buys pickup, puts topper on and fills the bed with a platform and a bunch of camping shit that you never use and makes it impossible to use your truck for actual truck things
    -adds lift, winch, and big knobby tires, drives on pavement mostly
    -color matched coozie to jacket
    -latest boutique skis with next level tech binding du jour leaned against truck so everyone can see them
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

How many people you pull out of the ditch this year? How many jumps starts you given? How much garbage you picked up out of your neighborhood on a Monday morning from the residual party? How much time you volunteer to help lower income kids get skiing?
    Why you keeping score in the first place?