Page 390 of 465 FirstFirst ... 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 ... LastLast
Results 9,726 to 9,750 of 11607
    Or have a brake temperature sensor, similar the TPMS most cars have these days.

It’s a little late at that point most often. Maybe it just alerts driver to gtfo.
    If you’re not down shifting the first half, I hold little hope on the second half.

Did this genius miss the runaway ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Seems like low hanging fruit to have a gps devise in trucks that would tell the driver what gear they should be in and if they’re going too fast.
    I'm no truck driver but I'm pretty sure they'll need to be geared down to begin with and down-shifting isn't an option once they've fucked up in the first place but holy fuck do they not cover "big ass hills in a heavy ass truck" in truck driving school?

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I'm no truck driver but I'm pretty sure they'll need to be geared down to begin with and down-shifting isn't an option once they've fucked up in the first place but holy fuck do they not cover "big ass hills in a heavy ass truck" in truck driving school?
    Not to mention the "trucks use lower gear" signs that already exist.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    That’s where GPS comes in - it’ll tell you there’s an 8% grade coming up, and here’s what you need to be doing now to be ready for it. Doesn’t seem like rocket surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I asked a friend about this who has done some trucking and he seems to think it has a lot to do with new trucks having automatic transmissions then also, or perhaps obviously, a severe lack of training. Says he was just thrown in one to figure it out and it sounded like maybe it wasn't quite as straight forward as you would think?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Did this genius miss the runaway ramp?
    And have all my trucker friends laughing at me? I’ll take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    It’s a little late at that point most often. Maybe it just alerts driver to gtfo.
    If you’re not down shifting the first half, I hold little hope on the second half.
    We had a driver who lost his brakes jump out of his cab right before it went over the edge westbound at the dirt pullout just before the 244. Semi went all the way down, practically onto hwy 40. It’s a miracle he wasn’t killed, or the ghost-driven semi didn’t kill/injure anyone else.

Some years back we had an asphalt truck continue to the 244 wb exit after losing his brakes. Semi went straight at the curve at the bottom of the ramp, and damn near cleared the creek. Driver didn’t make it, but again, miracle no one else was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Almost booked a tee time in Denver for today, glad we didn’t do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Came up on that one while heading westbound this morning. Also saw a Chevy truck in front of us lose control and do a couple spins. Miraculously he didn't hit anyone or anything. It was pretty slick from Georgetown to the tunnel.

Yesterday Vail Pass westbound closed to accommodate Eagle Towing loading two cruiser motorcyles that couldn't take the snow storm anymore... but they were past the narrows! They didn't wreck. They were through the worst!
    Last edited by Summit; 10-27-2021 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

got confused thought it was two e bike riders in over their head on the bike path and had to call search and rescue
    about the same thing

people are funny going west off of the summit at 75 to 85 mph hit that right hand turn into the narrows and it's a hard hard braking you can predict it

^ Wait bicycles?!?

wtf

no no motorcycles edited for clarity

That's how I read it at first. Freddie's mention of the bike path threw me off.

Routt Co SAR picked up some day hikers who were stuck in knee deep snow out of the Zirkel's the other day. In that light calling in a tow for some beach cruisers didn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    I asked a friend about this who has done some trucking and he seems to think it has a lot to do with new trucks having automatic transmissions then also, or perhaps obviously, a severe lack of training. Says he was just thrown in one to figure it out and it sounded like maybe it wasn't quite as straight forward as you would think?
    Huh, I didn't realize that semis had automatics now. That plus lack of training has for sure got to be part of it.

I'm kinda surprised that we don't see more giant RVs burning up their brakes in the mountains since most people don't know how to downshift those either.

I used to drive around a 40' enclosed gooseneck loaded to the gills behind a late 90s F350 dually. Put that fucker in 3rd and flip on the engine brake and you'd coast down any hill at 40mph with no stress.

Saw three vehicle fires and a truck on the truck ramp today. Pretty good shitshow for being slow season on the “Black Ribbon of Death”.

Saw one of the burned out cars yesterday as well. Separate, but related, any reason why CDOT has the express lane closed both ways on I-70 when it is bumper to bumper traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    Saw one of the burned out cars yesterday as well. Separate, but related, any reason why CDOT has the express lane closed both ways on I-70 when it is bumper to bumper traffic?
    Because CDOT is a shitshow.

Express lane is only allowed to be open so many days/weekends a year. Some stupid caveat compromise with the Federal highway admin to allow the lane to be smaller width than the required.

"We'll allow you to operate a substandard lane with no shoulder so that people can pay extra to drive fast in heavy traffic, but only a couple days a year so as not to be unsafe." -Feds

"Sweet! Let's fuck up traffic for a decade building that!" -CDOT

"WIN!" -Private Toll Company

"Fuck all of you" -Highway Patrol

Passed a Tesla driving in the extra lane, while it was closed, no traffic, driving the speed limit.