Page 300 of 465 FirstFirst ... 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 ... LastLast
Results 7,476 to 7,500 of 11608
    I went up early and came back early ish. Guess I missed the bad stuff.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Crazy that there were a lot of people with the same idea as you and trying to get into the mountains the day after New Years.
    Split KOOK!!

This is the I70 bitch thread, not the summit county cool local/ergo transplant signaling thread. Bitch or split.

Reminders how not to drive like a total ass and fuck up the highway more than it already is:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ike-an-asshole!!

I70 at Loveland/tunnel is constantly fucked because too many imbeciles ram straight from the on ramp, cross the solid white line, and force a merge into the highway at 5 mph. So now the speed upstream of the merge can travel at what top average speed?? 5 mph. ACCELERATE in the extended merge/acceleration lane for that purpose. Instead if you accelerate to 50 mph before merging, now the upstream traffic can travel at 50 mph. You made it better!!

And get the fuck out of the left lane unless passing. This law doesn’t go out of effect just because traffic has slowed below the speed limit. Whe you stay over there, you make the highway a one lane road in effect. And guess what Einstein, the left lane is slower when clogged with you dolts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Took me 9 hours to get home from the Basin yesterday! Traffic was fucked! Oh, wait did I say hours? I meant minutes. nvrmnd.

I70 is a valve, it protects the Summit/Eagle county bubble. If it were widened, or improved in any way, allowing more cars/people to easily and efficiently travel to the mountains, the mountain towns and resorts could not handle the amount of vehicles or people. They already can't. They can barely handle the people that just live up here. It is already busier in mud season than it used to be 20 years ago in the middle of ski season (non-holiday).

The highway couldn't handle it either. You could make I70 eight lanes wide and you'd still have tech bros in Tacomas driving 90 mph and crashing into each other and shutting down the highway every day of the week.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Split KOOK!!

This is the I70 bitch thread, not the summit county cool local/ergo transplant signaling thread. Bitch or split.

Reminders how not to drive like a total ass and fuck up the highway more than it already is:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ike-an-asshole!!

I70 at Loveland/tunnel is constantly fucked because too many imbeciles ram straight from the on ramp, cross the solid white line, and force a merge into the highway at 5 mph. So now the speed upstream of the merge can travel at what top average speed?? 5 mph. ACCELERATE in the extended merge/acceleration lane for that purpose. Instead if you accelerate to 50 mph before merging, now the upstream traffic can travel at 50 mph. You made it better!!

And get the fuck out of the left lane unless passing. This law doesn’t go out of effect just because traffic has slowed below the speed limit. Whe you stay over there, you make the highway a one lane road in effect. And guess what Einstein, the left lane is slower when clogged with you dolts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I wish they had put cones along that solid line to the merge point, as people are obviously too stupid to figure it out themselves.

Recently came down Georgetown Hill EB in traffic, cruising 30 in the right lane, while the left lane was a dead stop. Sheeple will be sheeple.

#you are the traffic

#I come up here every weekend

#my in laws have a place in Fraser

#no body cares

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I wish they had put cones along that solid line to the merge point, as people are obviously too stupid to figure it out themselves.

Recently came down Georgetown Hill EB in traffic, cruising 30 in the right lane, while the left lane was a dead stop. Sheeple will be sheeple.
    They did have plastic markers a few years ago or am I imagining them?

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I went up early and came back early ish. Guess I missed the bad stuff.
    Yeah - we headed up to WP at 5:30am (which is a crime against nature and everything holy to get up that early... for pretty much anything except maybe morning sex), skied bell-to-bell (mostly), then headed to Pepe's for some delicious tacos.

Slow and go from about 4 miles outside Empire through town, then I thought I had it made. I still can't really figure out how the FUCK someone fucked up so badly right on the Evergreen entrance ramp... there are like 5 lanes right there. JHFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Split KOOK!!
    LOL. Have fun on 70 this season, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    #you are the traffic
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Took me 9 hours to get home from the Basin yesterday! Traffic was fucked! Oh, wait did I say hours? I meant minutes. nvrmnd.
    Old's Cool.

Does anyone know somebody who does the private pilot weekend warrior ski thing?

Jeffco's airport to Steamboat is 87 NM. Would be less than an hour long flight with no traffic to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - we headed up to WP at 5:30am (which is a crime against nature and everything holy to get up that early... for pretty much anything except maybe morning sex), skied bell-to-bell (mostly), then headed to Pepe's for some delicious tacos.

Slow and go from about 4 miles outside Empire through town, then I thought I had it made. I still can't really figure out how the FUCK someone fucked up so badly right on the Evergreen entrance ramp... there are like 5 lanes right there. JHFC.

how long did it end up taking you total to get home from WP? also, I guess it would be relevant to ask...where generally is home?

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    how long did it end up taking you total to get home from WP? also, I guess it would be relevant to ask...where generally is home?
    Took 2-1/2 hours from Pepe's to SW Littleton. It's actually the same amount of time it took us to get home from Copper on Friday.

When we left Pepe's at 4:50pm Google said 1h38m estimated, which would have been about right had we not had the 45 minute shitshow at the Evergreen exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

Jeffco's airport to Steamboat is 87 NM. Would be less than an hour long flight with no traffic to worry about.
    Yes and no. I know a few private pilots that fly pretty regularly to ski areas. They are not the prototypical weekend warriors. They own there own planes and have something approaching fuck you money. It is not a viable alternative to commuting.

If you want to be a pilot, be a pilot. If you want to be a pilot to beat ski traffic, no. Kevo, you live in the front range and ski weekends. It is what it is. I admire your resolve but you are beating your head up against the wall. Get up earlier of quit skiing.

Took 2-1/2 hours from Pepe's to SW Littleton. It's actually the same amount of time it took us to get home from Copper on Friday.

When we left Pepe's at 4:50pm Google said 1h38m estimated, which would have been about right had we not had the 45 minute shitshow at the Evergreen exit.

got it. thanks for the info. was just curious how much more time it would have cost me if I had stayed skiing later.

Figure out how much money you need to get your ground school, lessons, and plane rental and avgas hours to get your private license. Also, your med cert. Then you will need your instrument rating and you'll also want to take a mountain flying class. Then you need a plane that is reasonable to operate in the high mountains with 2 people and all their skis gear say a C182T or a SR22 turbo. Used ones probably $250-500K. Now you need to rent hangar space, plan for maintenance, plan and file your flight plans with weather in mind, and pay for gas. Or you could rent.

Congrats. You have a plane. You are now super weather dependent. You think I70 delays are bad? What happens when you can't fly back for 3 days due to a winter storm?

Also, don't crash. Private aviation has a high crash rate. I've been on multiple crashes. One was a SR22 that turned the wrong way on a missed approach at Kremmling when the weather kept them from reaching Steamboat. They lived with minor injuries. Another was a C182T that crashed into Mt. Guyot and burned the pilot, his wife, and two kids... they probably died from impact though.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Figure out how much money you need to get your ground school, lessons, and plane rental and avgas hours to get your private license. Also, your med cert. Then you will need your instrument rating and you'll also want to take a mountain flying class. Then you need a plane that is reasonable to operate in the high mountains with 2 people and all their skis gear say a C182T or a SR22 turbo. Used ones probably $250-500K. Now you need to rent hangar space, plan for maintenance, plan and file your flight plans with weather in mind, and pay for gas. Or you could rent.

Congrats. You have a plane. You are now super weather dependent. You think I70 delays are bad? What happens when you can't fly back for 3 days due to a winter storm?

Also, don't crash. Private aviation has a high crash rate. I've been on multiple crashes. One was a SR22 that turned the wrong way on a missed approach at Kremmling when the weather kept them from reaching Steamboat. They lived with minor injuries. Another was a C182T that crashed into Mt. Guyot and burned the pilot, his wife, and two kids... they probably died from impact though.
    So what you're saying is just rent a high-end condo every time you go to the mountains and drive during off-hours? Seems like pretty good advice.

So what you're saying is just rent a high-end condo every time you go to the mountains and drive during off-hours? Seems like pretty good advice.
    If you have 500K to invest, yea, get a condo.

If you have 500k to light on fire, that's enough for 2 people to go heliskiing in AK for 2-3 weeks a year for a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If you want to use an airplane for skiing live in AK

Airplanes are really expensive.
    Tons of people from Denver have condos/homes here.
    But only a few of them fly private.
    They drive back late.

Yeah, just get a condo or do a share. Then you can sit by the fire on a Sunday night and laugh at the traffic map.

Most rental cars have a bar code sticker on the drivers side very rear window. Easy to spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Airplanes are really expensive.
    Tons of people from Denver have condos/homes here.
    Well shit, why buy a plane when you can buy a home in Aspen! I heard real estate is dirt cheap these days.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Had to go to Denver yesterday about 1p. Amazed at how much traffic was coming UP the hill. There was more going up at that time than down.
    Maybe previous page already detailed. Otherwise, wtf?
    Probably all the Summit / Eagle county folks heading home after a weekend of culture and good food.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

You are going to go through all that for Steamboat? Shit yourself flying through severe turbulence in a little Cessna and land in the Boat to ski to ski low angle "Champagne™" powder?

I'd rather just fly economy from DIA to SLC with TSA Precheck and ski the "Best Snow on Earth™".

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    Probably all the Summit / Eagle county folks heading home after a weekend of culture and good food.
    Whatever dude, we fly our Cessnas up here. Those plebs were probably just lost following Waze to the new In-and-Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    You are going to go through all that for Steamboat? Shit yourself flying through severe turbulence in a little Cessna and land in the Boat to ski to ski low angle "Champagne™" powder?

I'd rather just fly economy from DIA to SLC with TSA Precheck and ski the "Best Snow on Earth™".

TRUTH