Page 155 of 465 FirstFirst ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 11607
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I70 seems sufficient in that enough people use it to push areas along it over capacity... seems like maintenance and enforcement should be the priority over expansion.

Increasing I70 capacity and hoping people "spread out" is... illogical is a kind adjective. If you imagine that there was infrastructure improvement without more people clogging it for the same transit times, all you did was spread the crowds to Eagle County.

Why not increase capacity on 285 and 24 instead? That will let people spread out on 24 and 50 corridors.
    Make CO14 and Buckhorn Road into a two lane divided road, improve US40 and spread people to Routte County?
    Make a highway and tunnel through Moffat zone and spread people into Grand?
    Subsidize the development of more recreational activities the Pikes Peak region?

I'm not talking about ski only. We like to say "the problem is that recreational traffic is being held up by commercial traffic at peak times, so let's ban trucks at peak times and expand I70." Or we could say, "lets spread people out so that the peaks are less peaked and don't become more critically congested in the future."

If Front Range tripled in population tomorrow, should we still focus on sending them all up I70? No? When is the point at which you prioritize transportation infrastructure development outside of the I70 mountain corridor?

90% of the population of Colorado lives in narrow 150 mile-long North-South strip... so why are we focusing nearly all the East-West transport infrastructure improvements into one corridor?
    Yes! Exactly what I've been preaching.
    Look at Seattle. From what I can tell, they don't have these issues because there are numerous routes to the hills.
    We gotta make 285 a legit hwy as well as 24.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Closed a bunch but as always not real sure why. Snowed hard at times but roads were mostly wet with some slush and maybe snow packed during a brief period of heavy snow.
    Dude was probably on his Insta telling how gnar his day was.

Banning trucks at peak times is the ONLY solution for Colorado's narrow corridor....no matter the weather, in spite yes, but also during peak population.

Why is it the only solution...? Trucks, 18 wheeler type and other construction type big trucks are the biggest reason for slowdowns, which more often leads to accidents, more wasted time and wasted fuel.

Traffic signals are also a HUGE culprit of time and fuel waste, but your buddy working for the petroleum industry is only bragging about "getting paid!!!". so fuck off with that shit.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Solutions, i forgot to suggest at least one.

From my understanding, recently all the big trucks have some sort of transponders to monitor everything during their routes and communicate with each different state highway system. I guess it is a relatively recent and across the board culture shift in big business trucking, which has many benefits to people protecting their states from these transportation companies....all big trucks, except i guess local gravel trucks here in colorado , but i expect them to be monitored soon too.

Peak ski hours.....shut all the big trucks down. we have the land for their staging areas. we don't lose the interstate commerce because it is infrequent and good laws actual force other revenue to appear.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Agree. They're a moving 30-40 mph pinch point. I cannot believe I70 was built without a extra slow lane on the big hills for trucks to ascend.

It also doesn't help when people cannot pass on the left at a reasonable speed and also you have assholes who cut into the left lane, right before the slow truck, even if there's no space for them, causing everyone else to slam on their brakes in the left lane. Just a clusterfuck all around.

A slow truck is the equivalent 1/4mi lane closure... or worse
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

People not accelerating uphill sucks ass too. Thats the biggest problem with 36's traffic. That and people slowing down way before their exit or not speeding up enough on the ramp.

People are at the heart of all these issues.

BRING ON THE ROBOT CARS!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    People are at the heart of all these issues!
    That's it in a nutshell.

They can't restrict trucks without loosing federal funding.

I think the only solution would be to make 70 a toll road with variable pricing for peak periods.
    Make it really expensive and trucks will avoid it, people will car pool and maybe ski buses could gain some traction.
    But that would never pass the legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    That's it in a nutshell.

They can't restrict trucks without loosing federal funding.

I think the only solution would be to make 70 a toll road with variable pricing for peak periods.
    Make it really expensive and trucks will avoid it, people will car pool and maybe ski buses could gain some traction.
    But that would never pass the legislature.
    Or perhaps just a really high toll for trucks just during the peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Can't do that either. New lanes only.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Sounds like the plans for the Westbound Express Toll Lane and the changes to the US 6 exit/interchange are gonna be another 4 year clusterfuck for a narrow lane that can only be used ~70 days a year. Another expensive band aid in terms of cost and construction impacts. Can't wait for more phantom lane closures from Your Way Safety and Sign and CDOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Sounds like the plans for the Westbound Express Toll Lane and the changes to the US 6 exit/interchange are gonna be another 4 year clusterfuck for a narrow lane that can only be used ~70 days a year. Another expensive band aid in terms of cost and construction impacts. Can't wait for more phantom lane closures from Your Way Safety and Sign and CDOT!!
    Can't fucking wait. CDOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Source?

Got an extra $9B laying around...

LOL, this thread is pretty funny.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

They already widened the tunnel... why will it take 4 years to add 13 miles of 1/2 of a lane and do up an interchange? When does the mayhem start?

why will it take 4 years...
    Probably have to do two years of environmental studies to get to the answer they already know. Then design, finally construction.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Just fucking plow Idaho Springs, add 4 lanes both directions, blow up the Twin Tunnels and be done with it.

Just drove through the tunnel and EB was closed. Just wet slush, but as soon as that freezes, it'll be slicker that a wet weasel on a wood floor.

Bomb all the tunnels and force everyone to fly into Summit by helicopter. That'll solve your overcrowded problem.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    it'll be slicker that a wet weasel on a wood floor.
    I'm wondering how you have the frame of reference for this comparison.

Are you the Dude?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'm wondering how you have the frame of reference for this comparison.

Are you the Dude?
    I actually googled "Slicker than a..." and that was the best that came up.

I drive a lot, have for years, and I believe 100% of the issue with people driving is that we take a test when we are 16 and most never take one again. People form bad habits and there aren't typically consequences for left lane cruisers or failing to signal or using the brake all the damn time for zero reason. All the driving issues we all hate and bitch about would be improved if you had to keep passing driving tests to maintain driving privileges.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I drive a lot, have for years, and I believe 100% of the issue with people driving is that we take a test when we are 16 and most never take one again. People form bad habits and there aren't typically consequences for left lane cruisers or failing to signal or using the brake all the damn time for zero reason. All the driving issues we all hate and bitch about would be improved if you had to keep passing driving tests to maintain driving privileges.
    This would help.

They already widened the tunnel... why will it take 4 years to add 13 miles of 1/2 of a lane and do up an interchange? When does the mayhem start?
    I bet if you could take a faster, more cost effective implementation to a low bid contractor you could make a shit ton of money.