Page 276 of 465 FirstFirst ... 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... LastLast
Results 6,876 to 6,900 of 11607
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Let's face it - we, as a populous, do NOT have the will to do anything about I-70. It'll just get worse until people start to give up in large numbers. Hopefully, by then, it'll all be self-driving cars and travel times will get better simply by eliminating human drivers.

People will give up as numbers grow, but the actual numbers won't fall, they'll increase at a slower pace at peak; the off-peak numbers will continue to grow.

I-70 + stupid human tricks is the only safety valve the mountains have.

Self-driving should be the nightmare of any powderhound.

When you can have a cocktail in your car in Kansas City at 8PM on Friday, sleep while your car drives through the blizzard, and wake up at in Breckenridge at 6AM, then flip up the stow-away kitchen that sits in the space formerly occupied by steering wheel and instrument panel, brew coffee, cook eggs, you can be ready to get in the lift line at 7AM, that way you make sure you are on the lift before they declare "capacity waitlist" when the mountain reaches 30,000 skiers on the hill, the new capacity after opening of Peak 5.

The future will suck.

At least do car-assist laps without hitchhiking: use your own car on autopilot pickup on Berthoud.

New battery tech will mean electrorepulsive assisted skinning (a-la e-bikes) will cause everything to track out super fast.

The future will suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    People will give up as numbers grow, but the actual numbers won't fall, they'll increase at a slower pace at peak; the off-peak numbers will continue to grow.

I-70 + stupid human tricks is the only safety valve the mountains have.

Self-driving should be the nightmare of any powderhound.

When you can go to sleep in your car in Kansas City at 8PM on Friday, sleep while your car drives through the blizzard, and wake up at in Breckenridge at 6AM, then flip up the stow-away kitchen that sits in the space formerly occupied by steering wheel and instrument panel, brew coffee, cook eggs, you can be ready to get in the lift line at 7AM, that way you make sure you are on the lift before they declare "capacity waitlist" when the mountain reaches 20,000 skiers on the hill, the new capacity after opening of Peak 5.

The future will suck.
    As long as they are all going to Breck, we should be good.

I, personally, can't wait for that future... I'd wager they'll wake me up at the border crossing, though.

I have already given up. I have to have a compelling argument to drive to Denver, and it had better be in an acceptable window.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I have already given up. I have to have a compelling argument to drive to Denver, and it had better be in an acceptable window.
    We tried to do the "right thing" by heading up late Saturday morning to Winter Park, but fucking drivers couldn't keep from smashing into each other before Idaho Springs.

I'm close to throwing in the towel except for weekdays...

As long as they are all going to Breck, we should be good.

I, personally, can't wait for that future... I'd wager they'll wake me up at the border crossing, though.
    The problem is that it is just as easy for them to go to Crested Butte, Beaver Creek, Aspen... whatever is in autodrive distance from punching out for the weekend and lineup the next day. No biggie. Watch a movie while hammered and high in your robocar (pot is federal legal by then). Storm gonna hit Utah? Everyone from CO and CA shows up. Tahoe has no snow due to global weirding, but the whole Bay Area + LA can show up in SLC by 6AM Saturday with robocars.

Dallas to Vail is less than 14 hours, and has a favorable time zone switch.

Anything 900mi/16 hours away is game +- time zones. And maybe more since robocars should drive faster than when you have to have speed limits due to stupid human vision and reaction times. 90% of the population of Texas can get to any CO resorts except the Aspen group in 16 hours by robocar. 50% of California can reach all of the CO resorts in 16 hours. Chicago to Vail, <16 hours by robocar.

NYC is 28 hours from Vail... but if Robocars can do 120 instead of 75, then it it's hello Saturday morning! It's important because apart from Sugarloaf and Tremblant, the NE might have no snow anymore.

Robocars will shrink the world in a fucky way for skiers, while the number of skier areas shrink due to global wierding.

Nobody opens new ski areas, due to environmental concerns. The logical outcome is that the Epic Local costs $7K ($6K if you agree to telepathic adverts), but weekend day tickets stay at an affordable $200. Weekday season passes though, those are cheap, only $2K.

We tried to do the "right thing" by heading up late Saturday morning to Winter Park, but fucking drivers couldn't keep from smashing into each other before Idaho Springs.

I'm close to throwing in the towel except for weekdays...
    I marvel at the front range tenacity in the bad windows, but I can't help feel bad when you try to do the right thing and get screwed.
    Went to Steamboat on Friday via 131 and when we hit the 40/131 junction, I was amazed at the stream of cars coming from the south. Not all FR's I understand...the rest were TexOkaFlaDakotas and their ilk. Oy.

The problem is that it is just as easy for them to go to Crested Butte, Beaver Creek, Aspen... whatever is in autodrive distance from punching out for the weekend and lineup the next day. No biggie. Watch a movie while hammered and high in your robocar (pot is federal legal by then). Storm gonna hit Utah? Everyone from CO and CA shows up. Tahoe has no snow due to global weirding, but the whole Bay Area + LA can show up in SLC by 6AM Saturday with robocars.

Dallas to Vail is less than 14 hours, and has a favorable time zone switch.

Anything 900mi/16 hours away is game +- time zones. And maybe more since robocars should drive faster than when you have to have speed limits due to stupid human vision and reaction times. 90% of the population of Texas can get to any CO resorts except the Aspen group in 16 hours by robocar. 50% of California can reach all of the CO resorts in 16 hours. Chicago to Vail, <16 hours by robocar.

NYC is 28 hours from Vail... but if Robocars can do 120 instead of 75, then it it's hello Saturday morning! It's important because apart from Sugarloaf and Tremblant, the NE might have no snow anymore.

Robocars will shrink the world in a fucky way for skiers, while the number of skier areas shrink due to global wierding.

Nobody opens new ski areas, due to environmental concerns. The logical outcome is that the Epic Local costs $7K ($6K if you agree to telepathic adverts), but weekend day tickets stay at an affordable $200. Weekday season passes though, those are cheap, only $2K.
    Well that's cast rather a gloom on the whole evening, hasn't it?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

isnt it actually self steering not self driving? i didnt realize that tesla currently cant act on red lights or stop signs...

and apparently teslas 'navigate on autopilot' has much to be desired. not a hater just didnt realize these were limits still

The west bound expansion lane will help and despite the bitching, the EB lane has helped. Problem is these are expensive bandaids. People want an easier drive West but nobody wants to pay for it. Factor in the large % of 303ers that don’t go to the mtns at all and they sure don’t wanna pay. Band aids it is for the foreseeable future.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Only 10 million skiers in the US. In the future, when there are robocars and there is only skiing in the highest mountain west, if just 5% of skiers want to ski on a given day... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66229863_2419789854708295_8696089789666951168_o.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	288583

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I hate this shit..the eastbound toll lane HAS NOT been a great success. It’s barely helped. Westbound won’t help either, especially if it doesn’t start on top of Floyd Hill (continuing the 3 lanes).

No matter what happens, the politicians will pat themselves on the back.
    The $26 million eastbound lane saves an average of 2 minutes. And can't be open more than 75 days a year. And can't be used on storm days.

Politicians should be slapped repeatedly and fired.

You're smarter than that.
    2 mins * (how many people) = what?

It's not about the time it saves YOU, you should use the time it saves the community as a whole.

Edit- fuck. It's GGS. Nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Sig worthy.

It's not about the time it saves YOU, you should use the time it saves the community as a whole.
    For how many years of construction did the twin tunnel widening and toll shoulder project cost people an average of 10 minutes in delays? 2? 3? 4?

Now, how many years to get to positive net time saved by paying off 2 minutes per person?

OK, so after that 10+ years pass to break even on time, then calculate the cost in construction and tolls spent just to get to the time saving break even.

What a fucking disaster. Ask yourself if the dataset they used to determine time savings from the project was polluted by construction delays for the project? I don't trust their numbers.

lets talk about us36
    100k cars a day on average? Vs. 44k on the biggest days through the tunnel?

so these wankers and cdot and the state are stratching their asses trying to figure out who to blame?
    The state? The contractor? or oh wait how about that awesome deal to sell off public assests to private companies to manage maintain and charge us to use
    who was asleep at the wheel on this one and not paying attention to minor issues that suddenly turned into a big one
    that photo is priceless of the highway just falling apart, of course we won't find a politician who will stand up demand an investigation and say wtf?
    between rtd, cdot, and the airport authority all of those taxing organizations have little to no oversite
    can't wait to see how bad the taxpayers and state get shafted for this one

^^^they knew this was coming. The ground around there is notoriously bad. Lots of shifting, etc. Remember Bloom? That good restaurant attached to the mall that kept sinking and ultimately had to close? I miss that place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For how many years of construction did the twin tunnel widening and toll shoulder project cost people an average of 10 minutes in delays? 2? 3? 4?

Now, how many years to get to positive net time saved by paying off 2 minutes per person?

OK, so after that 10+ years pass to break even on time, then calculate the cost in construction and tolls spent just to get to the time saving break even.

What a fucking disaster. Ask yourself if the dataset they used to determine time savings from the project was polluted by construction delays for the project? I don't trust their numbers.
    You haven't factored in several things... like the capital maintenance times that would have been needed anyway, etc. Time =/= time in this instance... correlated, yes.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    isnt it actually self steering not self driving? i didnt realize that tesla currently cant act on red lights or stop signs...

and apparently teslas 'navigate on autopilot' has much to be desired. not a hater just didnt realize these were limits still
    You're looking at the wrong mfg'r. Tesla blusters a lot... check Waymo. They are actual self-driving vehicles.

Europe seems to deal with this OK (replace "robocars" with "civilized train service")... same idea, really. Applied to roads instead of tracks...

Europe seems to deal with this OK (replace "robocars" with "civilized train service")... same idea, really. Applied to roads instead of tracks...
    Europe has 3600 ski areas. The USA has 500 and isn't going to build any more.

Trains are not the same as robocars. Paris to Cham is switching between 3 or 4 different trains while schlepping gear and you gotta have a place to stay in Cham.

Robocar takes you non-stop, in privacy, and you can sleep in your robocar if it's too far to go home.

Trains are not the same as robocars. Paris to Cham is switching between 3 or 4 different trains while schlepping gear and you gotta have a place to stay in Cham.

Robocar takes you non-stop, in privacy, and you can sleep in your robocar if it's too far to go home.
    It doesn’t do anything for the I70 corridor east of Silverthorne but a “Glacier Express-like” train connecting a number of ski towns would be pretty sweet.

You're smarter than that.

Wasn't my 2 minutes. It was an actual study that showed only a 2 min reduction. Not worth 26 million. And not allowed to be used storm days. Political shit storm that the media continue to push fake news about.

These robocars sound fantastic!

Name:  smoking-chimp.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  42.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Sig worthy.
    When shown to be a dumbass or a post is longer than their toddler attention span, they go insult.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It doesn’t do anything for the I70 corridor east of Silverthorne but a “Glacier Express-like” train connecting a number of ski towns would be pretty sweet.
    I've ridden part of Glacier Express... that would be rad.