Page 254 of 254 FirstFirst ... 249 250 251 252 253 254
Results 6,326 to 6,347 of 6347
  1. #6326
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,590
    Friday is the new Saturday (doh!).

    I left Erie at 6:20 am. Clear roads, 45 minute wait at Bakerville for avy control at Herman Gulch (pass was closed).

    Loaded onto the Pali chair for a first run at 10am!

    On the drive back, I crested Loveland Pass and about a mile down, hit the timed release for 7 Sisters. A bunch of us u-turned back toward Silverthorne & the tunnel. First 2-tunnel round-trip in a while.

    Went local from Georgetown to Downiville to avoid the clusterfuck - fueling up first at Mountain Buzz with a pizza for the remainder of the ordeal.

    Welcome to the future. At least the snow was good.

    ... Thom

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  2. #6327
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,284
    To be fair...Friday was about as perfect storm for traffic clusterfucks as one could ask for. Not representative of most fridays. One of most popular weekends of the year + big snowfall + lots of mitigation activities necessary == clusterfuck.

    I had zero issues with a 5:45 departure from Dino, skied ~2500' of nice surfy at Berthoud, and in the downtown office by 10:30am.

  3. #6328
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    351
    Anybody know what was going on somewhat early Friday morning on 70 near Clear Creek entrance? Looked like an accident? 70 looked like a traffic jamb behind it based on the apps.

  4. #6329
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    To be fair...Friday was about as perfect storm for traffic clusterfucks as one could ask for. Not representative of most fridays. One of most popular weekends of the year + big snowfall + lots of mitigation activities necessary == clusterfuck.

    I had zero issues with a 5:45 departure from Dino, skied ~2500' of nice surfy at Berthoud, and in the downtown office by 10:30am.
    No doubt about that. Seeing the holiday draffic headed West at about 4:30pm was a site to behold. I saw a similar chain of cars while returning from UT on Friday night of MLK weedend. Bumper to bumper from Vail Pass back to Idaho Springs.

    I don't stay up late enough to leave Erie at 5:00 am ;-)

    ... Thom



    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  5. #6330
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    you fo realz?
    yes I am
    breck to frisco has been a skating rink too many times this year
    mag chloride doesn't do shit, if they'd throw some sand and salt down that'd work
    saturday morning was pure ice no sand no plows on nothing, all it takes is one idiot to hit their brakes cause their scared

  6. #6331
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,430
    IIRC, we generally didn't put mag down if the temp was <10-15F and was likely to stay that way.

  7. #6332
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    IIRC, we generally didn't put mag down if the temp was <10-15F and was likely to stay that way.
    so your saying it's useless?

    salt and sand please I'm pretty sure salt works no matter what the temp is

  8. #6333
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goulder
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    In economic news, it is apparent that rental car agencies are doing a booming business this weekend.
    Red plates?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  9. #6334
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    so your saying it's useless?

    salt and sand please I'm pretty sure salt works no matter what the temp is
    Our cars can look like the mid-west rust belt. Sand/volcanic rock/other material and the associated windshield issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    Red plates?
    But of course. I think I saw more red than green on my drive home last night, that is why it was fresh in my mind.

  10. #6335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Our cars can look like the mid-west rust belt. Sand/volcanic rock/other material and the associated windshield issues.

    .
    mag chloride eats the wiring in the cars, not sure what's worse getting your electric eaten or getting rusty

    they put rocks in their sand I've got plenty of dings to prove it
    avon loves that volcanic black rock, I love tracking into the house

  11. #6336
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,430
    Life is about trade-offs.

  12. #6337
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goulder
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    But of course. I think I saw more red than green on my drive home last night, that is why it was fresh in my mind.
    Split a Pali chair today with a dude from Virginia. Said he rented an F150 from the airport. No 4WD.
    I didn't even know that existed
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  13. #6338
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goulder
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    avon loves that volcanic black rock, I love tracking into the house
    Obviously it works
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  14. #6339
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,121
    Darker sand does help.

    Mag chloride IS salt

    It will only melt ice above about 16* or so. There are other products that will work in lower temps... usually mag with other products in it like corn biproduct if some sort


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #6340
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    Split a Pali chair today with a dude from Virginia. Said he rented an F150 from the airport. No 4WD.
    I didn't even know that existed
    These people are out there. I think I still trust them more than the FLA plates which I see a surprising number of. Just barely though.

  16. #6341
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,506
    I call them "red plate specials" for a reason.

    It actually is helpful in that they are identifiable.

  17. #6342
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3

    Westbound on Sunday mornings

    Understanding that unforseen issues could pop up (idiots, snowfall...) how is traffic heading westbound from Golden to Copper on Sunday mornings? I had planned to drive to Frisco Saturday night but may be stopping in Golden saturday evening and heading to Copper Sunday morning.

    Thanks

  18. #6343
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    2,641
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliefj40 View Post
    Understanding that unforseen issues could pop up (idiots, snowfall...) how is traffic heading westbound from Golden to Copper on Sunday mornings? I had planned to drive to Frisco Saturday night but may be stopping in Golden saturday evening and heading to Copper Sunday morning.

    Thanks
    shoot. Better than Saturday morning, generally speaking, but you could get hosed. Leave early. Or leave late.

  19. #6344
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thanks! Generally speaking, of course, would leaving at 6:30 be early enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    shoot. Better than Saturday morning, generally speaking, but you could get hosed. Leave early. Or leave late.

  20. #6345
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,284
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliefj40 View Post
    Thanks! Generally speaking, of course, would leaving at 6:30 be early enough?
    6:30 if no snow is coming. 6:00 is good time to be safe.

  21. #6346
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3
    thank you both for your help!

  22. #6347
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goulder
    Posts
    361
    I70 EB closed just passed Eagle. Was meeting some friends at BC, but they are stuck on the frontage road.
    Hey, at least it'll be empty without all the west slopers gapin it up
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •