Page 251 of 254 FirstFirst ... 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,275 of 6347
  1. #6251
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Scummit
    Posts
    7,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Imagine loose skis inside a car during a wreck.

    Get a truck.

    FIFY


    Safety schmafety.

  2. #6252
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the hogback shadow
    Posts
    2,641
    I use ski racks. Can't fit my vehicles in the garage with a box. I don't care if my skis get dirty.

  3. #6253
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,430
    It's a 5-10 drive, so on racks it doesn't really matter. I have a box for longer trips and travel but a pain to put on and off and store, so I find racks just easier most/all season.

  4. #6254
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The unspoken bit here is that if Hazmat can go in the tunnels, there will be much less pressure to keep Loveland Pass open in adverse weather/avalanche conditions and there is plenty of money to be saved there to help make up for the 10-100 million or whatever cost of making the tunnel hazmat OK.

    I think it is a good idea if it can be done.
    Years ago, in another life, I was driving north on DC's beltway at 6am when a tanker truck hit an embankment on an underpass and exploded. I was one of the first cars to drive past (they quickly shut the road down after that.) Maybe 150 feet feet away and the heat was so bad I was sweating inside my closed windows as we crawled past. Article in the paper said flames were 200 feet high.

    I don't see how it would be possible to make that "safe" if it happened inside the tunnel.

    Truck would need their own bore if you wanted to protect other motorists.

  5. #6255
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    It's a 5-10 drive, so on racks it doesn't really matter. I have a box for longer trips and travel but a pain to put on and off and store, so I find racks just easier most/all season.
    We flip back and forth between bikes and skis so often that we find racks easier. Don't need to have space in the garage to store the box when not in use. We wax at home so we just clean things up when we rewax. Seems easier.

    But I'd like the box for shoving poles into. Poles inside the car is a pain in the ass that has become a running joke in our family.

  6. #6256
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,430
    Years ago, a tanker crashed and blew in the Caldecott Tunnel in the East Bay. It was in the middle of the night(by design?). A mother and daughter were killed iirc. Tunneled was effed for a couple years after and was out of circulation. If it happened at a busier time, it would have been catastrophic. Sad that other life was lost, when trafficking volatile material across roadways, shit can and does happen. Just have to limit our exposure or find a better way.

  7. #6257
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,676
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Years ago, a tanker crashed and blew in the Caldecott Tunnel in the East Bay. It was in the middle of the night(by design?). A mother and daughter were killed iirc. Tunneled was effed for a couple years after and was out of circulation. If it happened at a busier time, it would have been catastrophic. Sad that other life was lost, when trafficking volatile material across roadways, shit can and does happen. Just have to limit our exposure or find a better way.
    There was some horrific accident over in the Mt Blanc tunnel is euroland where a whole grip of people died in a similar incident.
    Live Free or Die

  8. #6258
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,063
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    There was some horrific accident over in the Mt Blanc tunnel is euroland where a whole grip of people died in a similar incident.
    39 deaths from what was effectively a fuel tanker fire (margarine truck).

    Mont Blanc tunnel is way different in that it is 7+ miles long and 2way traffic (2 lanes), did not have a fire suppression system, nor onsite fire fighting, and the fire was mismanaged by the tunnel controllers operating the ventilation system which prevented people from escaping and firefighters from reaching the blaze.

    It is a really cool tunnel.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  9. #6259
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,044
    My friend said it took her a half hour at 3pm yesterday to get out of the ABasin parking lot, to just get onto 6. Then an hour to the top of Loveland Pass. W...T...F....

  10. #6260
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,721
    Who in their right mind would leave the mountains to go home at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon? They're just asking for misery.

  11. #6261
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,044
    Apparently 10s of thousands. She did ask for it!

  12. #6262
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Agrestic
    Posts
    4,759
    If I move back I won’t ski. I promise.

  13. #6263
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,506
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Who in their right mind would leave the mountains to go home at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon? They're just asking for misery.
    Emphasis added.

  14. #6264
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,423
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misery.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	269246

  15. #6265
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    My friend said it took her a half hour at 3pm yesterday to get out of the ABasin parking lot, to just get onto 6. Then an hour to the top of Loveland Pass. W...T...F....
    Can confirm. Left A Basin at 3PM. Got to I-70 at 4:40PM. Got back to the crib in Wheat Ridge at 6PM.

    Yeah, I've been so strategic lately I got cocky... I was reminded quickly that you can't just head back to Denver in the afternoon.

    I now ski more outside of CO on Mountain Collective pass than in CO. It's fucking sad. So far, on my 3 trips skiing in CO this year, I-70 closed twice and I had a 3-hr drive home from A Basin. Heading to Taos this weekend... not much more time spent in the truck than driving up to A Basin!

  16. #6266
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,338
    i prefer colllapsable ski poles I make them as small as I can then stuff them in my ass for the ride up to the ski area

    usually my houseboy has my skis waxed as well as my one piece bogner fart suit ironed and errated all I do is park the truck in the garage have him help get me ready and then I walk out the door and onto a lift and ski no need for a rack

  17. #6267
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    19,784
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Who in their right mind would leave the mountains to go home at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon? They're just asking for misery.
    I did. We had 2 kids with us, race finished at Vail, and Google showed a 3 hour drive home. Figured getting home at 6 was preferable to going somewhere, spending money, getting home much later, all in the hopes (but no guarantee) of spending less than 3 hours in the car.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  18. #6268
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Imagine loose skis inside a car during a wreck.

    Get a box.
    ^^^ this ^^^

    If money or logictics mandate a rack, at least get binding covers ferchrissakes.

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  19. #6269
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,338
    PSA

    there is a harbor freight looking snowmobile trailer sitting east bound just past officer's gulch it has a tow tag on it so I'd get out there and retrieve the gem before it gets hauled off

  20. #6270
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    PSA

    there is a harbor freight looking snowmobile trailer sitting east bound just past officer's gulch it has a tow tag on it so I'd get out there and retrieve the gem before it gets hauled off
    Saw it this evening. I'll pass.

  21. #6271
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    3,676
    what happens if you cruise the HOV lane to Denper with out of state plates?? any bills come? e470
    i laugh at your pink envelopes
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    25% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT18'

  22. #6272
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Scummit
    Posts
    7,697
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    what happens if you cruise the HOV lane to Denper with out of state plates?? any bills come? e470
    i laugh at your pink envelopes
    Get some of that fake spray on snow like people put on xmas trees and cover your plates. Win!

  23. #6273
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ten Mile Vistas
    Posts
    3,485
    Dear Ullr,
    If you could make it DUMP the hardest from about noon Friday thru Saturday morning and close I70 multiple times, that would be great. Please provide the maggots the foresight to plan their drive accordingly and the fortune of arriving at their destination in a timely manner. All other Frangers can SUFFER THE PAIN.

    Sincerely,
    The Locals
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing “skins” or “hike mode.” Tell me again how I’m a gaper.
    -mikdes26

  24. #6274
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,721
    Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Dear Ullr,
    If you could make it DUMP the hardest from about noon Friday thru Saturday morning and close I70 multiple times, that would be great. Please provide the maggots the foresight to plan their drive accordingly and the fortune of arriving at their destination in a timely manner. All other Frangers can SUFFER THE PAIN.

    Sincerely,
    The Locals
    FWIW, Vail and Beaver Creek are blacked out this weekend.... which means Keystone, Breck, and A-Basin should be super EPIC(TM).

  25. #6275
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ten Mile Vistas
    Posts
    3,485
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FWIW, Vail and Beaver Creek are blacked out this weekend.... which means Keystone, Breck, and A-Basin should be super EPIC(TM).
    Once parked, I'm banking on ABasin being somewhat manageable. It's a holiday weekend, so we shall see.
    I used to hike 2 hours for 10 minutes of turns on 207 gs skis, without needing “skins” or “hike mode.” Tell me again how I’m a gaper.
    -mikdes26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •