Page 351 of 465 FirstFirst ... 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 11607
    I'm not saying they're not useful, just that I don't know many names that aren't on the map. Not usually a problem for me, I have never been in some trees and wondered "what is the name for these trees", I just ski them. And usually follow the convention of naming the trees on skiers left of a run with the name of the run. I know Topher's because everyone does, but that might be it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I find it interesting how the unofficial names evolve over time. I don't know WP/MJ but Loveland Chair 1 has tons of unofficial names and a bunch of them have changed over just the 15ish years I've skied there. "Superhighway" and "Little Superhighway" are now "Ken's Den", upper skiers right A-Bowl is now "Buttsucker," etc. The new guard probably has different names for all of these than I even know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Do you every find yourself saying "where are you going, where are you at, how do we get there". That's where common named can be helpful.
    This sounds like my friend, Arnold.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't know any of those names.
    For anyone that's curious.

Bummer Flats - the road from Sunspot to the bottom of the Hi Lo
    Oly Pie - the triangle from the Jane Trail face to the top of the Oly
    Pony Road - the road from the top of the Oly, across Jane Trail to the top of the Pony
    Guy Fawx - the tree wedge behind Sunspot, from hookup to the actual top of Cranmer, spelled it wrong, it's Fawkes.
    Evac Route - it's a hike through the woods from Upper Lonesome Whistle (now Village Way) that dumps you out at tower 7 of the Hi Lo just before it takes that dip. Was established as a way to access towers 7 and lower for evac without the use of machines.
    Do or Die (RIP) - now Stupid Englishman
    Brave New World - the trees to skiers right of Columbine
    Living room/kitchen - some trees off of Narrow Gauge
    Practice Hill - lower slope between Larry Sale and the Gemini
    Gilligan’s Island - The tree island where Mad Tea Party dumps into Oly flats. There is an old challenge to ski around Gilligan's Island without skating uphill. I've got a good story about that one.
    5 points - Phipps saddle, bottom of Vista Dome
    810 cut - a cut through the woods from the bottom of the Cranmer bumps to the top of the Arrow, used by race crew (810s) back in the day.

I've heard of a few huts called the No Fat Chicks Hut, but I believe the OG one is in the lower tree section between Long and Short Haul. It's a tight entrance. No fucking clue where Mario Kart Trees is, but I'd bet money that it's the Hi Lo Trees.

Is it time to rehash the yearly discussion of making 285 a real highway into Breck or Leadville (Mosq Pass)? Spilt the traffic load in half.

Tunnel under Georgia Pass and open up the SEx (Summit Express)!

Build a mega bus terminal at the Dino lots and have busses going to each resort from there every 15 mins.

monorail.....

I wonder how many times this video has been posted in this thread.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Q: What is happening in this blurry picture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2075.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	354045

A: A Mini Cooper is traveling in the still unfinished westbound express lane between Idaho Springs and Dumont at approximately 75 miles-per-hour.

As you will also notice, there is NOBODY else on the road, which makes the use of this lane even more unexplainable.

By some miracle, this moron managed to swerve around three or safety barrels and stop about five feet short of slamming into the concrete barrier where the lane ends just before the Dumont exit.

Legitimately thought I was going to watch an absolutely horrific accident. Still can’t wrap my head around this one.

Also, as a side note - he slowed down a bit after this incident (as you might expect) and I ended up being behind him as I was enjoying a nice right lane cruise this evening. Any time I would get within about 50 yards of the guy he would throw his flashers on. Seemed very nervous for a guy that didn’t mind blasting down an unfinished shoulder at 75 mph.
    go upside down.

The epidemic of highbeams is real
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

I think the French got it right with the yellow light cover laws for general civility. But they don’t have the wildlife issues that we have.
    Bright headlights is an arms race.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sorry but I would have called highway patrol. Call me a narc but a drunk driver killed my grandparents. Driving like a psycho should end after your teens. No excuse as an adult.

Have fun on the highway this week:
    UPDATE: I-70 Mountain Corridor Advisory

Expect lengthy delays on I-70 in

Idaho Springs Sunday through Tuesday (Dec. 20 - 22)

Drivers advised to avoid travel during construction, at least two-hour delays expected on Monday and Tuesday in BOTH directions

DENVER ― The Colorado Department of Transportation plans to get as much paving done as possible before the long-term winter temperatures set in on the Westbound I-70 Mountain Express Lane project. Paving work can be done only during daytime hours when temperatures are warmer. Closures will continue through the night to get other work done.

I-70 will be down to one lane in each direction in Idaho Springs Monday and Tuesday during the day, causing at least two hour delays for east and westbound traffic. Motorists are advised to avoid traveling during lane closure times.

CLOSURE SCHEDULE AND IMPACTS:

Lane closures will occur in a half-mile area of I-70 between Colorado Boulevard and Fall River Road exits in Idaho Springs. Below is the schedule and impacts:

Sunday, Dec. 20 from 3 p.m. to 6 a.m. - Single lane closure on westbound I-70 for crews to clear snow and ice, and shift the barrier to prepare for paving. Traffic delays Sunday afternoon with minor impacts overnight. Westbound traffic will have one travel lane.

Sunday, Dec. 20 from 8 p.m. through Tuesday night, Dec. 22 - Eastbound I-70 traffic down to one lane. Sunday night, crews will clear snow and ice for paving. Paving will take place Monday through Tuesday. Heavy traffic delays of two-hours Monday and Tuesday, particularly in the afternoons.

Monday, Dec. 21 and Tuesday, Dec. 22, 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. each day - Westbound I-70 traffic down to one lane for paving work. Heavy traffic delays of at least two hours during the daytime hours.

The schedule above is subject to change depending on the weather and other factors. The latest information on lane closures will be posted on Cotrip.org.

AVOID TRAVEL DURING LANE CLOSURE TIMES DURING THE DAY MONDAY AND TUESDAY:

If motorists are planning to travel the westbound I-70 corridor they are urged to leave early before construction starts. If motorists are traveling eastbound, they should expect the heaviest delays Monday and Tuesday during the day. There will be no planned lane closures over the holidays, Wednesday, Dec. 23 through Monday night, Dec. 28 and from Thursday, Dec. 31 through Sunday, Jan. 3. There will be planned nightly single lane closures Dec. 28 to Dec. 30, but traffic impacts should be minimal.

After Dec. 22, there will be no further planned westbound daytime closures on this project through the winter. Should more paving work need to be done, that work will take place when the temperatures are warmer in the spring.

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO

Travelers are urged to “know before you go.” Gather information about weather forecasts and anticipated travel impacts and current road conditions prior to hitting the road. CDOT resources include:

Road conditions and travel information: www.COtrip.org

Chain and traction law: www.codot.gov/travel/colorado-chain-law

See scheduled lane closures: codot.gov/travel/scheduled-lane-closures.html

Connect with us on social media: Twitter @coloradodot and Facebook facebook.com/coloradodot

ABOUT THE PROJECT

Crews are working diligently to complete road construction so the new Express Lane can open as soon as possible, which is estimated for early 2021 depending on the weather and other factors. Once the new Express Lane opens, tolls will be waived until summer or fall of 2021 when the tolling infrastructure is in place and has been tested.

When completed, there will be an Express Lane on westbound I-70 from the Veterans Memorial Tunnels to the Empire Interchange. Similar to the eastbound lane already in use, this 12-mile long managed lane will feature traffic management systems to reduce congestion and provide westbound drivers with a reliable, time-saving option during peak travel periods. The project is also improving the alignment of the road and repaving the surface to improve safety and make for a smoother drive.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

OK Danno and other WP Skiers, lest you think Underoos are knocking back domestics downvalley in our slippers bolstering our Jarred Local status, here is the gold:

Find and learn the 810 cut and the Pony Road. Those are critical mountain navigation routes.

Can you just upload the official unofficial Winter Park trail map? I prefer to be spoonfed.
    Special names for traverses is pretty amusing.

Never knew all the specific local names but I think I have been on all the paths described over the years.

Anyway, back to bitching on 70. I can count on taxes, death and getting trapped on 70 at least once a year.

Never knew all the specific local names but I think I have been on all the paths described over the years.
    Yeah, it is way less about the names than just getting around. Most of the bitches about being a tough mountain to navigate are totally avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Yeah, it is way less about the names than just getting around. Most of the bitches about being a tough mountain to navigate are totally avoidable.
    But not the catwalks and flats.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Sorry but I would have called highway patrol. Call me a narc but a drunk driver killed my grandparents. Driving like a psycho should end after your teens. No excuse as an adult.
    No need to apologize for that. Honestly though, I don’t think they were drunk - just really really stupid.

If they had been drinking, there’s no way their reaction time would have been good enough to avoid the concrete barrier. Plus I didn’t see any signs of impairment after that. Otherwise, I likely would have done the same.
    go upside down.

I found WP to have the steepest learning curve of any CO mountain I've frequented, so I do get the "tough to navigate" angle.
    Egress and Corona Way do suck though.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I found WP to have the steepest learning curve of any CO mountain I've frequented, so I do get the "tough to navigate" angle.
    I can easily see how this happens, but with a topo map anything is possible. Agree with Foggy, however pony road >>>>>> 810 trail but those banked turns and the bridge in outrigger trees are always a good time. I swear the stuff off pony road has to be my go to place for consistently good skiing in almost every condition.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I always felt like that was Steamboat. For some reason, WP never seemed that hard. Probably because for my first 10 years there, I only skied the Jane side, and then I was skiing the bunny hill and slowly learned the WP side at the pace of my rugrat. Before I had a kid, the WP side was a black hole to me.

But I have only skied there a small handful of times in the last 3 years, now that I'm mostly stuck with Eldora.

Y’all know there’s a 2 he wait to get through Idaho springs today and you are rambling on about trail names at Winter Park and shit? Need I remind you what this thread is all about?