Page 278 of 280 FirstFirst ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 LastLast
Results 6,926 to 6,950 of 6987
  1. #6926
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Park on some neighborhood side street 15 minutes away.
    Lip to through the neighborhood at 5mph all day

  2. #6927
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,183
    Yeah that shit will last about a week before every NIMBY in towns shuts that robocar parking down.

    Let alone this glossing over the concept of a robocar driving your ass through a snowstorm.
    Live Free or Die

  3. #6928
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    66
    Hoping the Skimaid's Tale that Summit described is a bit further out than we might think...

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/b...mous-cars.html

    A year ago, Detroit and Silicon Valley had visions of putting thousands of self-driving taxis on the road in 2019, ushering in an age of driverless cars.
    Most of those cars have yet to arrive — and it is likely to be years before they do. Several carmakers and technology companies have concluded that making autonomous vehicles is going to be harder, slower and costlier than they thought.
    “We overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles,” Ford’s chief executive, Jim Hackett, said at the Detroit Economic Club in April.
    --
    Mr. Salesky said Argo and many competitors had developed about 80 percent of the technology needed to put self-driving cars into routine use — the radar, cameras and other sensors that can identify objects far down roads and highways. But the remaining 20 percent, including developing software that can reliably anticipate what other drivers, pedestrians and cyclists are going to do, will be much more difficult, he said.
    ---
    In the future, powder days might turn out to be the best days to drive "manually" and ski while all the self driving cars (which can't operate without seeing the lane lines) will be grounded.

  4. #6929
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,366

    OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

    They would be very useful for dropping you off at one trailhead and picking you up at another.
    The Aspen/CB hike will be even more popular as will mtn bike rides like the Monarch Crest. No need to pay money for a shuttle. Hell, you could go hut to hut in the winter and have your robocar waiting for you 50 miles from where you started.

    Ugh, I hope they go away.

  5. #6930
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Yeah that shit will last about a week before every NIMBY in towns shuts that robocar parking down.

    Let alone this glossing over the concept of a robocar driving your ass through a snowstorm.
    If it is one that clips you on a rail and slings you up the mountain, it'll be no problem. And it takes up less space than a monorail.

  6. #6931
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,366
    At least we’re not dealing with this:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/video/video-...er-64105029747

  7. #6932
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,622
    An asphalt truck spilled hot asphalt on I70 just W of Wolcott covering the road for at least 100 yards with the shit. All visibility lost as the vehicle in front of me sprayed my car, I fishtailed a bit decelerating enough not to hit the guy slamming on brakes in front of me fishtailing like driving on marbles while not braking too hard such that the semi behind me would hit me. I came out intact, and called Eagle dispatch to warn them. My tires were coated in asphalt and I assume the underbody. I think my paint is pretty shredded from the brief cellphone light inspection. It was weird listening to my car shed asphalt for the next 20 miles. My car now has a weird vibration really noticeable above 60mph like a wheel is out of balance.

    I assume the asphalt truck was for the huge I70 paving projects in Vail / Vail Pass that was going on tonight. Do I call CDOT or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  8. #6933
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Mostly the Elks, mostly.
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Do I call CDOT or what?
    I would. Assuming in the chaos you didn't see which truck it was, they should be able to easily find out who showed up missing their asphalt.

    Required by law to secure their load. They didn't and it caused 'unintentional damage' to your whip, that driver/company should be on the hook for damages, right?

    But then, I gotta assume they'll stonewall you.
    Worth a try?

  9. #6934
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    An asphalt truck spilled hot asphalt on I70 just W of Wolcott covering the road for at least 100 yards with the shit. All visibility lost as the vehicle in front of me sprayed my car, I fishtailed a bit decelerating enough not to hit the guy slamming on brakes in front of me fishtailing like driving on marbles while not braking too hard such that the semi behind me would hit me. I came out intact, and called Eagle dispatch to warn them. My tires were coated in asphalt and I assume the underbody. I think my paint is pretty shredded from the brief cellphone light inspection. It was weird listening to my car shed asphalt for the next 20 miles. My car now has a weird vibration really noticeable above 60mph like a wheel is out of balance.

    I assume the asphalt truck was for the huge I70 paving projects in Vail / Vail Pass that was going on tonight. Do I call CDOT or what?
    You should call your insurance agent


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  10. #6935
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,622
    That really was terrifying. When the viz went, had no idea how long the spill was, though I might sail right off the road as it curved... at least the Subaru is driveable.

    Looking today in the light, asphalt everywhere.... windshield and front end are pitted, lots of parts of the car are coated, especially underbody and wheel wells. I think stuff embedded in the tires are why it is vibrating.

    Called Eagle Co today said they had many 911 calls, but nobody was injured.

    Called CDOT and they were very apologetic, glad nobody was hurt, and said they would handle the responsibility through the state claims line, so off to fill out a web form.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  11. #6936
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,589
    SnowStang is happening. $25 round trip to Loveland and Abasin. https://theknow.denverpost.com/2019/...9IjRj1xmQkeU90

    Should be popular. Only scheduled to run 40 days this year.

  12. #6937
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,366
    ^^^ nice!

  13. #6938
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    SnowStang is happening. $25 round trip to Loveland and Abasin. https://theknow.denverpost.com/2019/...9IjRj1xmQkeU90

    Should be popular. Only scheduled to run 40 days this year.
    That is what you call a test run. Bustangs popularity has grown enough that SS will probably be 140 days next year.

  14. #6939
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Summit County
    Posts
    302
    Why is it a surprise that subsidized bus fares on i 70 to popular destinations is well, a surprise?

    not to be a hater and all...

  15. #6940
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,589
    Yes buses are subsidized. 40% covered by fares, aim is to get remaining 60% covered by benefiting ski areas

    You know what else is subsidized? Private cars. User fees and taxes (i.e. gas tax, registration etc) pay for 51% of road costs in Colorado.

  16. #6941
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,920
    Motherfucking mudslide near Glenwood.

  17. #6942
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,052
    Ride through the mud, not around, so as not to widen the road.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  18. #6943
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Summit County
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Yes buses are subsidized. 40% covered by fares, aim is to get remaining 60% covered by benefiting ski areas

    You know what else is subsidized? Private cars. User fees and taxes (i.e. gas tax, registration etc) pay for 51% of road costs in Colorado.
    I didnt read their biz plan. that is actually listed - ski areas cover 60% eventually? what if riders dont go skiing?

    not the same type of subsidies or u dont know what a subsidy is. .here gvmt is competing w private industry and or creating an unfair market.

    like i said im not a hater but its not like they created demand out of thin air.

  19. #6944
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,589
    Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    I didnt read their biz plan. that is actually listed - ski areas cover 60% eventually? what if riders dont go skiing?
    A lot of riders going to take buses that only stop at Abasin, Love and maybe copper that don't go skiing? If they are stopping there, the resort is capturing their money.

    not the same type of subsidies or u dont know what a subsidy is. .here gvmt is competing w private industry and or creating an unfair market.
    I count subsidies as anything in which someone's behavior is being subsidized -- i.e. you're not paying the true total costs. Not just direct handouts. Suburban form of development is a classic example. As are environmental externalities not built into price of goods that harm the world. Private car driving is just another.

    As for gvmt competing with private industry -- bullshit. There is no private industry which provides regular mass transit to ski areas of Abasin or Loveland from Denver. I know because I've looked. A lot.

  20. #6945
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Movin' On
    Posts
    2,193
    Just waited an hour and 20 minutes to get through the stoplight at eastbound 285 and main Street in fairplay. Traffic was backed up for about 12 miles south of town (seriously). The light would let like 4 cars on 285 through, then cycle and stay green for traffic coming from main Street. There was often no cars coming from main Street. People were pissing/shitting on the side of the highway after not moving for 40 minutes.

    Called park county dispatch and they said they were aware of the issue but have no control- it's all state patrol and CDOT. Park county said CDOT is "trying to control the flow of traffic on east bound 285 with that light.

    They patched me through to state patrol who said the light was working as intended.

    Currently sitting in stand still traffic a couple miles west of the loaf n jug light at the top of crow hill. More of the same with that light.

    Currently 7 hours into a 4 hour drive and still an hour from home.

  21. #6946
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    1,096
    try taking main street......

  22. #6947
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,885
    Try not coming back from Crested Butte on a Sunday. You should know better.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  23. #6948
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,052
    Summer Sundays are a complete crapshoot. Sometimes not bad, sometimes miserable. At any time of the day, on both 70 and 285.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  24. #6949
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,885

    OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

    There’s also construction on that section of 285 (it’s been closed during the week), which means people have to slow down to stare at the orange cones as they drive by. Double bonus traffic factor.

  25. #6950
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    169
    Oh my God, I found a pair of Vulcans in Aspen today for 50 bucks and had to pick them up. Fucking Dillon to Golden was 3 hours. Almost saw so many accidents. At least 30 cars broken down on the way up the hill. Summer is a bigger shit show than winter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •