Page 274 of 465 FirstFirst ... 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,850 of 11607
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    The National Parks spend millions of dollars that should be going towards backlogged maintenance and other groups put out articles about why isn't this or that group getting outside...and then the people go and trash the places...and those who invited them wonder why it's so crowded, trashed, busy, wrecked. Everybody doesn't need to do everything and go everywhere.
    I've got no problem with lots of people going places and doing things. It's the handful who destroy nature and disrespect others and the places they visit that I've got a problem with. Those people suck. And unfortunately there are more and more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    The National Parks spend millions of dollars that should be going towards backlogged maintenance and other groups put out articles about why isn't this or that group getting outside...and then the people go and trash the places...and those who invited them wonder why it's so crowded, trashed, busy, wrecked. Everybody doesn't need to do everything and go everywhere.
    cutting diversity programs won't do a damn thing. the budget shortfall is massive, and every day, $200,000 RVs driven by 67yo white guys go through the gates for free on a senior lifetime pass and they get 1/2 price campsites that crowd out younger generations and young families, while the driver bitches about how his tax dollars pay for the parks and they should do a better job managing the parks with his tax dollars.

crowds suck. a lot of the increase is due to retiring white americans. a lot is chinese tourism in certain parks. there are increasing numbers of girls who never cared about the outdoors until they found out they could get validation on social media by wearing yoga pants in front of a roadside turnout, or dudes with beards who act like they're the first guy to use an axe to build a fire and drink whiskey in front of it. but I don't think that the instagrammers are as big of a growth driver as you'd like to think.

the park service isn't really in a position to tell people to fuck off when it comes to visiting their public lands. it would be great if we could manage it better, but we need increased tax money going into the parks if you want it managed better. it's not a matter of a few measly million dollars. it's not as if they could just "run it like a business" and solve our problems.

diversity outreach in theory is meant to widen the constituency that cares about the parks as our nation becomes less and less white, since white americans have been the main constituency for so long. other groups might be about social justice, but the park sees it as a pragmatic policy at relatively low cost (again, paying a diversity outreach coordinator at each park $35k+benefits is fucking chump change) good idea? bad idea? i don't know. but it's really not a major driver of crowds, and it's certainly not the reason we can't afford to fix anything or to eliminate invasive weeds.

maybe take some of your tax cut and donate it to the national parks foundation if you really give a shit instead of just wanting to be angry about something.

Hey Lester you should post more.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    or dudes with beards who act like they're the first guy to use an axe to build a fire and drink whiskey in front of it
    I'm not the first, I just perfected it.

(But seriously, great post)

A Sunday afternoon post ski drive that didn't suck!
    Strange new world
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Hey Lester you should post more.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    ...if you really give a shit instead of just wanting to be angry about something.
    But you forgot one of the key rules of TGR forums -- don't respond to GGS.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Sounds like CDOT is going to be starting another bandaid fix to the Idaho Springs shitshow. A westbound toll/breakdown lane from the twin tunnels to Empire, open during “rush hours” only. Opens 2021 🤦
    Riddle me this: you drive up Floyd Hill in three lanes, which goes down to two and causes a huge backup, then it’s two lanes for a few miles, then the highway goes back to three on days the lane is open? Why wouldn’t the lane be built all the way back to the merge? 🤦

I imagine the lane will get jammed with powderhounds wanting to pay the toll to get ahead of everyone, only to cause a massive backup in the lane. And with enough traffic, there will be backups where the lane ends and merges back.

Just blow the fucking highway up already and build the tram.
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 06-28-2019 at 01:30 PM.

mono-RAIL!
    mono-RAIL!
    mono-RAIL!

Build that wall! Build that wall!

Oops

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Sounds like CDOT is going to be starting another bandaid fix to the Idaho Springs shitshow. A westbound toll/breakdown lane from the twin tunnels to Empire, open during “rush hours” only. Opens 2021 🤦
    Riddle me this: you drive up Floyd Hill in three lanes, which goes down to two and causes a huge backup, then it’s two lanes for a few miles, then the highway goes back to three on days the lane is open? Why wouldn’t the lane be built all the way back to the merge? 🤦

I imagine the lane will get jammed with powderhounds wanting to pay the toll to get ahead of everyone, only to cause a massive backup in the lane. And with enough traffic, there will be backups where the lane ends and merges back.

Just blow the fucking highway up already and build the tram.
    The fake benefit of 2 minutes for the current toll lane that cost taxpayers $26 million wouldn't make a dent in the westbound backups.

Monorail won't work. Physics says it won't work in the mountains and people won't pay huge dollars to spend more time traveling and humping gear from car to bus to train to bus and back again. And summers would also kill it with lack of paying customers.

RTD ridership is diminishing in the metro area. Why would anyone spend billions for a bottomless pit of debt?

I’ll bring this thread back around. Make 285 a real highway to Fairplay and/or tunnel through Mosquito Pass. Give people more options than one falling apart highway.

Or better yet: make Cheyenne or Sinclair WY the next big thing.

A) If it was an easy, no traffic commute to the mountains on a magnificent, freshly paved, heated, snow free, 10 lane highway, you would still have dickheads in Jeep Grand Cherokees driving 100 mph, tailgating and eventually rolling their vehicles in front of a semi, causing hours of backups.

B) The mountains are full, why does everyone think we need to fix this whole I70 traffic thing? It is a valve, and the only thing keeping the mountain towns from being ruined even more. Let people stay home and avoid skiing on weekends because they are afraid of traffic! I'm gonna let you folks in on a little secret: Occupancy and sales for mountain businesses are through the roof! That sure as hell ain't because I70 was better this season.

C) I want a monorail so that I can go to concerts in the city without driving and there better be a goddamned bar car.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    there better be a goddamned bar car.
    We need to hurry up with turning all driving over to our robot overlords, then every car is a bar car

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    We need to hurry up with turning all driving over to our robot overlords, then every car is a bar car
    By the time that happens I'll be heli skiing with my drone.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is the correct answer.

Google tells me that a high speed lift goes 12mpg - Google Maps says 20 miles from Idaho Springs to A-Basin, another 6 to Keystone and then 10 to Breck

Parking lot at Idaho Springs and 3hrs lift ride later and your at Breck - has to be less than a billion, right?

Make them heated seats and with a bubble, grab a sixer for the ride home

I'd check your Google maps again.
    And if a high speed lift gets 12mpg, that'd be amazing.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I’ll bring this thread back around. Make 285 a real highway to Fairplay and/or tunnel through Mosquito Pass. Give people more options than one falling apart highway.

Or better yet: make Cheyenne or Sinclair WY the next big thing.
    Why would those ever be the next big thing?

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    I'd check your Google maps again.
    My mileage was as the crow flies - no need to follow the highway, but don't drop your glove

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    The units are obviously Miles Per Galactic year. 12mpg is slow AF

Oops - 12mph instead of mpg (which is likely about .1mpg)

Cops cops cops on I-70. Pulling over fast fred and his convoy.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Cops cops cops on I-70. Pulling over fast fred and his convoy.
    radar detector
    listening to lots of country music these days while driving around, keeps me mellow and happy
    all these punters can have this town for the week
    does anyone drive around with their windows down anymore?
    is there anyone left in texas? think they are all colorado

Holy fuck i70 in the summer

The end of a holiday weekend.... shit, any day last week was bound to be a disaster.