Page 295 of 295 FirstFirst ... 290 291 292 293 294 295
Results 7,351 to 7,371 of 7371
  1. #7351
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,571
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    So lemme get this straight. You almost hit him because you couldn't see and it was his fault?

    That sun glare is real. Yeah, doing 15 mph is slow, indeed. I get that.

    This sounds suspiciously however, like news reports of 70 car pileups on I-5 in California being caused by the fog and not by following too closely while overdriving your visibility.

    Since when is it good practice to drive beyond your ability to react?

    ... Thom
    When the glare is a condition that lasts for 30 seconds on an otherwise clear straight road that has a speed limit of 65, I think it's reasonable to not expect someone to slam on their brakes to 50mph under that speed limit and stay in the lane, becoming an obstacle in the road, an obstacle that they should know others can't see. Had he just slowed down, I'd not have had any issue. But nobody should drive 15mph on a clear dry road that has a speed limit of 65. And not do something like move to the shoulder or at least put their hazard lights on. If you think slowing to that speed and staying in the lane is the safe thing to do, I don't know what to tell you.

    It's nothing like the fog you describe, because it's a very temporary condition that every driver knows is a very temporary condition, just slow down a little, do what you can to cut the glare, and it's over in a flash.

    And for the record, I didn't hit him so I obviously wasn't driving beyond my ability to react.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  2. #7352
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goulder
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Even a blind squirrel (Fox News) occasionally finds a nut.

    Attachment 304583
    I'm gonna say they fixed the potholes during the sun glare closure.

    Frustrating when the highway reopens and you're stuck on the frontage road with a 3 way stop holding everyone back.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  3. #7353
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    one of those gaper mountain towns
    Posts
    2,972
    AFAIK the closures are primarily for sun glare. The pages donít mention pothole work.

    The glare can be really bad at times, but really no worse than blowing snow or anything else that completely blinds you for several seconds at 65mph. Iím sure getting caught by the closure sucks, but itís a known issue for this time of year, and too many crash statistics for cdot to ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

  4. #7354
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,928
    When you are full star wars, tripping ballz, in the whiteroom/treadmill for hours.

    That's when things get tricky.

  5. #7355
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    When the glare is a condition that lasts for 30 seconds on an otherwise clear straight road that has a speed limit of 65, I think it's reasonable to not expect someone to slam on their brakes to 50mph under that speed limit and stay in the lane, becoming an obstacle in the road, an obstacle that they should know others can't see. Had he just slowed down, I'd not have had any issue. But nobody should drive 15mph on a clear dry road that has a speed limit of 65. And not do something like move to the shoulder or at least put their hazard lights on. If you think slowing to that speed and staying in the lane is the safe thing to do, I don't know what to tell you.

    It's nothing like the fog you describe, because it's a very temporary condition that every driver knows is a very temporary condition, just slow down a little, do what you can to cut the glare, and it's over in a flash.

    And for the record, I didn't hit him so I obviously wasn't driving beyond my ability to react.
    Fair enough.

    15 mph is obviously dangerously slow. If he doesn't do that drive on a daily basis and he panics, he's definitely not going to process quickly enough to stack on the extra variables of signaling, checking his mirrors, looking over his shoulder and pulling over.

    Yup, using hazards should be reflexive. I use them frequently in I-25 slowdowns - to wake the guy behind me up. Of course, we're talking about a population that fails to grasp the concept of even a turn signal, so I don't have expectations about people turning on their hazards - nice as that might be.

    We're all guilty of the Seinfeld-ism to some extent: people who drive faster than us are maniacs and those who drive more slowly are morons.

    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-04-2019 at 04:26 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  6. #7356
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    When you are full star wars, tripping ballz, in the whiteroom/treadmill for hours.

    That's when things get tricky.
    So true.

  7. #7357
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    4,260
    Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    I just passed you heading EB. Looked like a totalled 4runner on the west side getting loaded on a tow truck.


    Currently on a detour on Floyd Hill. Some big potholes in the EB right lane on the overpass.
    thats really wild...i flipped around headed back EB at the tunnel opening, went loveland pass, dillon dam rd and turning into the shell station, flatbed with black newish forerunner with big tires and a top box....i thought to myself, surely this isnt the vehicle that just shut down wb70.....looks like it should own snowwy passes...but guess it was.....
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    20% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT20'

  8. #7358
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,782
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    thats really wild...i flipped around headed back EB at the tunnel opening, went loveland pass, dillon dam rd and turning into the shell station, flatbed with black newish forerunner with big tires and a top box....i thought to myself, surely this isnt the vehicle that just shut down wb70.....looks like it should own snowwy passes...but guess it was.....
    any one can buy a bad ass car
    weather it has a manual transmission and how shitty of a driver who owns it are all questionable
    the shitty driver is...........
    well not everyone is an above average driver like the average i70forum tgr poster

  9. #7359
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goulder
    Posts
    439
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  10. #7360
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,645
    Bustang: $25 RT Denver to Loveland and ABasin. Seems like a good deal to me. Hopefully it works and they expand to other resorts.

  11. #7361
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    4,260
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    any one can buy a bad ass car
    weather it has a manual transmission and how shitty of a driver who owns it are all questionable
    the shitty driver is...........
    well not everyone is an above average driver like the average i70forum tgr poster
    yep true that
    lol....im baddass snow mtn driver (and i-70 forum poster) and did all my re routes in a rental chevy envoy or something
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    20% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT20'

  12. #7362
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    thats really wild...i flipped around headed back EB at the tunnel opening, went loveland pass, dillon dam rd and turning into the shell station, flatbed with black newish forerunner with big tires and a top box....i thought to myself, surely this isnt the vehicle that just shut down wb70.....looks like it should own snowwy passes...but guess it was.....
    Well it is a newer 4runner, most commonly driven by soccer moms who have grown from the mini van since they drive to the mtns occasionally.

  13. #7363
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    4,260
    ^yeah it was one of those b2 stealth lookin type models suffered pilot error
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    20% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT20'

  14. #7364
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    We're all guilty of the Seinfeld-ism to some extent: people who drive faster than us are maniacs and those who drive more slowly are morons.
    That was Carlin. I can't stand Seinfeld so feel the need to set the record straight. Also, I swear I'm fun at parties.


  15. #7365
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    tree OH TREE!!!!!
    Posts
    3,192
    heads up, planned short closures next couple weeks for rock mitigation.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cd...-70/ar-BBXLFja

  16. #7366
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,236
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Bustang: $25 RT Denver to Loveland and ABasin. Seems like a good deal to me. Hopefully it works and they expand to other resorts.
    Glad to see this and I hope it is very successful. It does look like it will depart both ways into the teeth of traffic, but youíll have WiFi, bathroom and are not the one dealing with the road.

  17. #7367
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    1,782
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Well it is a newer 4runner, most commonly driven by soccer moms who have grown from the mini van since they drive to the mtns occasionally.
    Hey now

    Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

  18. #7368
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    That was Carlin. I can't stand Seinfeld so feel the need to set the record straight ...
    Oops!
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  19. #7369
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    one of those gaper mountain towns
    Posts
    2,972
    Bigger closure planned 12/18 at 236 for blasting/debris removal. Both directions will be closed from 9-noon (possibly longer).

    CDOT thinking they might take down as much as 150cu yds of rock and dirt, which could extend the closure. Theyíre in the process of drilling for explosives, and should have additional resources on hand from the Fall River bridge project to help remove debris.

    12/18 might be a good day for midweek turns, provided youíre ahead of the closure, and arenít in a hurry to get back.

    14 car pile-up on my way back from IS to GT. I was stuck behind a plow at Downieville, and bailed to the frontage rd just before traffic came to a stand-still. Nice empty frontage rd the rest of the way!

    Sometimes impatience pays off. How Ďbout those fancy new single/double plows/mag spreaders that can block two lanes with only one driver?

    First vehicle struck in the pile-up was a CCSO Deputy, but fortunately no injuries in the whole mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

  20. #7370
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,645

    OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

    Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    14 car pile-up on my way back from IS to GT. I was stuck behind a plow at Downieville, and bailed to the frontage rd just before traffic came to a stand-still.
    Depressing that I70 closes now every time it snows at all. The traction law hasnít done shit to prevent non-equipped drivers from driving in storms.

  21. #7371
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    one of those gaper mountain towns
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Depressing that I70 closes now every time it snows at all. The traction law hasnít done shit to prevent non-equipped drivers from driving in storms.
    I would agree with this assessment. People who donít think they need special equipment, or even common sense to drive safely in snow arenít going to be deterred by something as intangible as a law. I also heard that there may be an issue with the statute, so only issuing warnings, probably after theyíre blocking the road and everyone else on the road just bought a one-way ticket to destination fukt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •