Page 223 of 465 FirstFirst ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,575 of 11614
    Left copper at noon, through the tunnel at 2, back in Denver at 3.

Friends left copper at 130 and are still aimlesslu dicking around in Summit somewhere, unable to get home.

The last three miles from Dillon to the tunnel was Epic/Ikonic levels of shit show. Passed several sections with cars spinning their summer tires in both the left and right lanes so that traffic had to filter into the middle Lane to pass.

not unprecedented tho. same thing Thanksgiving weekend in 08, got stuck in Frisco due to closure of tunnel. ended up with a room in a ski share for the season and essentially never moved back to front range. maybe a different weekend but seem to recall a great pow Turkey day at copper...

that said, yes idiots w bad tires.

Hey, they may be summer tires, but if I just gun it harder....turning em into flats.
    Helped push a guy that just would not stop spinning em hard. I could smell the rubber just going...

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

One of the closures was 15 spun out cars east of S’thorne. Vail on-ramp to Vail Pass was closed too, then reopened, only to close right away after 5 more immediate spin outs. Sounds awesome.

Conditions deteriorated fast. Expecting everyone to be driving around with appropriate tires is a lot to ask. Look around. This is not the land of responsibility.

But deteriorated conditions were fantastic for more selfish pursuits.

Got caught in the WB closure at Empire and missed the last exit to the Frontage Rd. Was 2:10 from Lakewood to WP with slow going on the pass too.
    i shred the gnar

^^^^^
    You should have been here yesterday!

Breaking! Braking!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Yin yang.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Hey guys,

How good is the summit stage bus if staying in silverthorne?

me and the mrs are there for two weeks in feb. been told by heaps of people that the buses are good and you won't need a car. however I'm the type of person that is there well before first lifts and leaves early.

no probs driving on snow.

Quote Originally Posted by pow_pow~ View Post
    Hey guys,

me and the mrs are there for two weeks in feb. been told by heaps of people that the buses are good and you won't need a car. however I'm the type of person that is there well before first lifts and leaves early.

Depends on your level of patience and how close you are to the transfer center, like is your stop before or after it? This can make a difference. Really though, it is reliable, so look at the schedule online and see how long it'll take you

before I moved to summit, we came up for a new years. from what I recall and think I've heard recently is the transfers from s'throne to the other side of the county is inefficient...but check to see if that is still the case.

Saw something I’ve never seen before this AM: some asshole in a BMW X3 got frustrated and passed three cars and an oil truck going WB, near the top of Loveland Pass, with bad visibility around that final blind bend near the top (blowing snow). The road was snowpacked and slippery. Thought he was going to slam head first into an EB vehicle and subsequently take a ride off the edge. Amazing how stupid people are.

Saw a similar incident recently. When can we enact street justice on the roads? Not enough cops in this state and the road ragers know it.

Quote Originally Posted by pow_pow~ View Post
    Hey guys,

How valuable is your time? Buses are NOT fast, but save car rentals, gas, and parking.. look at the time tables and plan your route. There is even an app with live bus location (so you know if they are behind).

The only time I ride those buses is when my car is in the shop... or one in a while to Breck because Breck winter parking is a shitshow of shuttles, pay parking, and gondolas.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Best use of the bus is from Frisco to Copper.

Or from peak 6 > sky chutes> bus >Breck

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Saw something I’ve never seen before this AM: some asshole in a BMW X3 got frustrated and passed three cars and an oil truck going WB, near the top of Loveland Pass, with bad visibility around that final blind bend near the top (blowing snow). The road was snowpacked and slippery. Thought he was going to slam head first into an EB vehicle and subsequently take a ride off the edge. Amazing how stupid people are.
    On that note: When you see cars around you slowing down and pulling to the shoulder, before flying past them, put your phone down, look in your mirror, and if you see red and blue lights (emergency vehicle) pull over and let it pass! Then, allow those people who were paying attention to get back into the driving lane. Thanks and have a nice day!

Sunday I 70 was such a clusterfuck by early afternoon that everyone rerouted to Loveland pass, resulting in a stream going 5-10mph over the pass.

Only time that I’ve seen it in the pass where there were too many cars for hitchhiking because they were going too slow to be worth it.

I just stayed until after dark when the delay minimized but there were still thousands of us on 70

Must have been people taking the 4 hour Vail to Denver trips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1222.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	257464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1227.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	257465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1224.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	257466

Name:	IMG_1214.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	257467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1218.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	257468

Name:	IMG_1204.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	652.3 KB 
ID:	257469

Name:	IMG_1189.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	257470

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I feel like if there were more turn arounds on I70 it would solve a ton of these problems. I've been stopped for 2 hrs on Vail pass right next to an emergency turn around with a cop blocking it. Why don't they ever just give people the option to turn around and go back to a town until the road reopens? Instead, folks sit trapped, without bathrooms, possibly running out of gas, and then no heat, in the middle of a snow storm. Seems like a recipe for disaster. I know they do it sometimes, but not as often as you would think.

I vote for food trucks and shitters at the snowplow turnaround between Silverthorne and the tunnel.

Today
    Name:  sign.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  137.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I feel like if there were more turn arounds on I70 it would solve a ton of these problems. I've been stopped for 2 hrs on Vail pass right next to an emergency turn around with a cop blocking it. Why don't they ever just give people the option to turn around and go back to a town until the road reopens? Instead, folks sit trapped, without bathrooms, possibly running out of gas, and then no heat, in the middle of a snow storm. Seems like a recipe for disaster. I know they do it sometimes, but not as often as you would think.
    survival of the fittest? imagine if our ancestors sat around waiting for SOMEONE to steer the herds towards them.
    Last edited by cycology1; 11-30-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Not gonna lie...1.5 hours Silverthorne to Denver at 2pm on a Sunday after a week of big storms was pretty impressive (and welcome)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    go upside down.