Page 243 of 465 FirstFirst ... 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 11614
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    are these real success stories, or did they kick the can down the road a few years. I am on 36 every day, and while it is vastly improved from where it was pre-express lane, I can't help but think that in a few years, people will be having the same debate about it.
    They'd be having the same debate in a few years even if they had built a 4th non-toll lane because induced demand is a thing.

Until people are enabled to travel at more off-peak times we're going to be in a constant battle of choosing to build for what we "need" during most normal hours vs building what we need for the peak hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I have never seen traffic backed up over BP summit and back to 2nd creek and then from the Jane past the town shop. None of those people were at X games or sculptures.

Question for any of you that were at Winter Park. Honestly, how were the lines? I hate the busiest as much as the next guy but I've never felt like the lift lines were that bad. As in 10mins is bad. Has that changed?
    Was at WP with a family group of 9 yesterday and our longest wait barely approached 5 minutes. When I explained to the out of towners that they would have a private ski area the rest of the week they were gobsmacked. We stayed in town for dinner yesterday and left WP base at 7pm, took 1 hour and 5 minutes to clear the stupid assed crosswalk light in Empire, then clear sailing the rest of the way home. I am writing Clear Creek County commissioners today and not spending a penny in the County until they take some steps to fix basic shit like that whacked ass light in Empire. Stop and go from Berthoud Falls through two slide zones can't be a good idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Ha Haha Haha Ha

Holy shit it keeps getting better

Silverthorne is a parking lot. Watched a chick in a 2wd tundra with Texas plates try to get up moonstone which is 8 percent grade.

The roads barely have snow on them and no one knows where the lanes are

I was supposed to go to vail today. Should I bother?

Good info Spike. Might wanna get in touch with WP Town Council or Grand County BOCC if you honestly think that one traffic light in Empire was really responsible for the delay. There is quite a bit of history with Clear Creek County crying in their beer instead of trying to monetize all the wallets that drive through the county.

I haven't been up at WP skiing a ton this season, but the last couple Saturdays we've day-tripped and it hasn't been too bad. We do lazily check traffic until it's reported less than 2 hours, so we don't get up there at the crack of dawn.

I was actually surprised how easy it was the Saturday of MLK weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    are these real success stories, or did they kick the can down the road a few years. I am on 36 every day, and while it is vastly improved from where it was pre-express lane, I can't help but think that in a few years, people will be having the same debate about it.
    Every infrastructure project is "kicking the can down the road", but that doesn't mean its not worth doing. The needs of an area evolve over time, especially in a growing economically prosperous area (imagine that!).

By your logic, one could argue that construction of the original interstate system was just "kicking the can down the road" because upgrades have been/will be needed in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Every infrastructure project is "kicking the can down the road", but that doesn't mean its not worth doing. The needs of an area evolve over time, especially in a growing economically prosperous area (imagine that!).

By your logic, one could argue that construction of the original interstate system was just "kicking the can down the road" because upgrades have been/will be needed in some areas.
    Yes and no. Some infrastructure projects change the paradigm, and others just add capacity. I would argue that the interstate system changed the paradigm; till then, the notion that exits and entrances were controlled, and there would be no slowdowns through towns, was a game changer. Adding a lane, not so much. On 36, they advertised it as a paradigm shift, the idea of BRT being a holy grail. Except they didn't give us BRT, and instead just increased some capacity.

Yes, all infrastructure projects increase capacity and kick the can down the road, but that doesn't mean all infrastructure are fundamentally the same and just a question of how much capacity they increase.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hatch, all I was saying was that often times transportation capacity is the valve. Yes, the size and location of the valve can change but it is still the valve. The locations I brought up and considered busy. Some people deal with busy, some people avoid it.

Monorail would totally solve all these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

That's what I was thinking! Talk about a paradigm shift.
    Last edited by Danno; 01-28-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

And get all the Semis off the road at peak times!

And get all the Semis off the road at peak times!
    But... but... with a monorail, there would be no need!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    But... but... with a monorail, there would be no need!

Yeah, we'll put the semis on the monorail! Brilliant!

I am much better driver stoned than these people are sober

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Took me an hour to get from Vail to Silverthorne yesterday. Almost backed up to Copper. Never seen that with dry roads before. Crazy how heavy they were metering at the tunnel and how much it fucked up traffic for people who weren’t even leaving town. I wonder if it was a failed experiment? Surely opening the floodgates at the tunnel a little more would have been a good thing?

They should close Dillon Dam Road (and others) to locals only and not let Waze just run amok, wreaking havoc on side roads so people can save 5 minutes on their 3 hour drive home.

The drive up to the tunnel this morning was basically a one lane road with all the trucks without chains and bald tire cars spinning out. Still much better than last nights clusterfuck. Wonder where the enforcement was. Was snowing pretty heavily at least. Front range seemed to get pounded. Should be some good touring near town tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    <snip>
    They should close Dillon Dam Road (and others) to locals only
    lol

Dam Road etc... those were the ways locals worked around traffic... the ways before Waze goat fucked it all to hell.

I'm not sure how you would enforce a local traffic only on side streets. Put up a "LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY" sign and have people just ignore the shit out of it because they really want to cut 1 minute out of their drive?

I do think it is completely fucked that Waze routes people through Dillon Ridge shopping center to bypass 30 seconds of traffic turning it into a complete cluster!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'm not sure how you would enforce a local traffic only on side streets.
    You wouldn't. Not possible.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Dam Road etc... those were the ways locals worked around traffic... the ways before Waze goat fucked it all to hell.

I'm not sure how you would enforce a local traffic only on side streets. Put up a "LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY" sign and have people just ignore the shit out of it because they really want to cut 1 minute out of their drive?

I do think it is completely fucked that Waze routes people through Dillon Ridge shopping center to bypass 30 seconds of traffic turning it into a complete cluster!
    Not saying the resources are available, but yeah, putting up a sign with the fine clearly posted, setting up a driver’s license checkpoint around the corner, and handing out tickets. Not saying it would work, but would be curious to see how much money it would generate and if it might finally start working. You could even get fancy and do it automated with one of those red light cameras. Scan the license plate, determine the registered address of the owner, and send out fines.

It really would be nice to find a way to keep the people heading home on I70.

There does need to be some other routes around Dilverthorne interchange at Exit 205 for when this shit happens. Gridlock gets annoying for local traffic that is just trying to get through to get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Not saying the resources are available, but yeah, putting up a sign with the fine clearly posted, setting up a driver’s license checkpoint around the corner, and handing out tickets.
    You do realize that there are probably *thousands* of "local" people in Summit County whose DL's would reflect an address on the Front Range, right?

It's kinda like proposing a monorail.

Wait a minute we are getting to something awesome. So we are gonna have a system, advocated by a guy who's
    where by you get privileges to a certain road based on whether you are
    local
    ?

This has legs. I expect 30 posts minimum by the time I get back from the bank. Get to work!

And construct an elevated deck highway!
    Old's Cool.