Page 237 of 465 FirstFirst ... 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 11610
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Sundays during a long weekend are irrelevant for I-70 traffic talk. Head up to Copper today and tell us how the drive back is this afternoon.
    tired of the BP circle jerk. i think i'll pass on that

Echo Mt: "All the suck of Eldora, minus the vertical."

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I had some pretty badass days at Berthoud when there were lifts and avalanche control. Place was super fun.
    Had some of my best inbounds days ever at the old BP ski area. Don't think I ever skied a day there that wasn't 18"+.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Had some of my best inbounds days ever at the old BP ski area.
    Right? Super deep, no people, and the people who were there ripped. So did the bus drivers driving up the pass with their knees while hitting a bowl. Sure was nice to have some avy control in places like HHA so you could go hit it right after a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    tired of the BP circle jerk. i think i'll pass on that
    These guys need to get there own thread.

How it was how it should be how I destroyed BP back in the day.

What would be the thread title?

Meet ups and stroke offs in the BP parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    These guys need to get there own thread.

How it was how it should be how I destroyed BP back in the day.

Yeah, maybe we are a little nostalgic about the place. Sorry to bring it up fellas. Let's bitch and moan about left lane drivers, monorails, semis etc some more. I'm headed over VP this afternoon, wish me luck.

My SO yesterday on the drive up (which wasn't that bad):

Her: "Maybe CDOT should consider banning semi traffic during peak I70 times?"

Me: Have I got an internet thread for you....

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...=Berthoud+Pass

I forgot about the "build a new ski area!" chatter. Can we get a "Jump to Conclusions" board with all approved topics on it?

Let me tell you about Breck 25 years ago how cool it was how cool I was how i lived in a cabin in the woods all before the buddy pass and vrbos

You guys are great

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    My SO yesterday on the drive up (which wasn't that bad):

Her: "Maybe CDOT should consider banning semi traffic during peak I70 times?"

Me: Have I got an internet thread for you....
    While I've heard this brought up over and over... it seems kind of odd to ban people who are WORKING from the highway.

Kinda stinks of privilege, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    While I've heard this brought up over and over... it seems kind of odd to ban people who are WORKING from the highway.
    Yet a decent portion of them refuse to obey the laws that govern their job.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yet a decent portion of them refuse to obey the laws that govern their job.
    I won't argue that - I've seen some TERRIBLE "professional" driving over the years.

Still stinks of white-upper-middle-class privilege to me...

Let me tell you about Breck
    25 years ago
    How cool it was
    How cool I was
    How i lived in a cabin
    In the woods
    All before the buddy pass and vrbos

You guys are great
    FIFY
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

When is snows, everything is better. Except in this thread, then is makes it worse.

Honestly, this really is the best place to go on about how The Pass is such a cluster. Between the retarded car party, the shit plowing, that it is impossible to hitch a ride, the sprinter and flat brim scene is outta hand, all the skin tracks are post holled, it gets tracked faster than a junkies arm, it is basically REI West, the runs are about 3 turns long, and all the other things, it is just a total waste of time.

If we keep pounding that drum load enough, maybe enough people will just move on the mountain biking and we can just get back to skiing and having fun.

Make fat bikes great again....

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    When is snows, everything is better. Except in this thread, then is makes it worse.

Honestly, this really is the best place to go on about how The Pass is such a cluster. Between the retarded car party, the shit plowing, that it is impossible to hitch a ride, the sprinter and flat brim scene is outta hand, all the skin tracks are post holled, it gets tracked faster than a junkies arm, it is basically REI West, the runs are about 3 turns long, and all the other things, it is just a total waste of time.

If we keep pounding that drum load enough, maybe enough people will just move on the mountain biking and we can just get back to skiing and having fun.
    3 turns is right

Unfortunately, fat bikers on snow as a user group turned out the be so sensitive that poking fun at them is no longer fun. We've moved on:

E skins

Drone based avalanche response

Nanotech comfort sensing base layers

and Toyotas...always Toyotas

n.
    Well let's just be honest here "sprinter abd flat brim scene" classic solid poetry

Having a shitty day this thread delivers and brightens it.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

It's almost like you have inside knowledge of the operations of the former ski area, are familiar with the objectives of the Cipriani's, understand the motivations of the Forest Service during that time and were involved in the initial organization of Friends of Berthoud Pass.

On no wait...its more like you are talking out your ass.

I'm not a mouthpiece of anyone and I could reminisce about the old days and get off my lawn with the best of them. None of that changes the fact that you are making shit up. I.
    Wow, what was it in my post that made you butt hurt? The FOBP dig?

How would you know what my knowledge comes from?

The fact that you simply dismiss my opinion as coming out of my ass is something that is coming out of your ass because you have no idea what my experience is.

You don’t tell us what experience your grand insight come from other than being a long time winter Park bro bra so it sounds like you’re talking entirely out your butt hurt ass.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

It's not butt hurt. It's facts. I'll start.

They tried to make a run of that but couldn’t make it profitable.
    The reason the cat skiing existed was that if the Cipriani's stopped operations entirely, they would be required to immediately spend the money to remove the lodge, remove the lifts etc. Sources: FS Clear Creek Ranger District, Director of Accounting for Granby Ranch (can't remember what is was called back then), two ski patrollers turned guide friends.

Friends of Berthoud Pass could have bought the thing for nothing and done a co-op or saved the operation
    The Forest Service had no interest in transferring the special use permit to another ski area operator. The ski area assets were never offered for sale to the Friends of Berthoud Pass. The lodge had no value. Sources: Me. My name is on the 501(c)3 paperwork and I went to a lot of meetings.

decided to be like, you know man, a public advisory service, that like puts on Avy classes bro
    FOBP transitioned into this role years after the the ski area ceased operations. The initial purpose was the preservation of backcountry recreation. Most people are completely unaware of how much forest service and other opposition there was to backcountry skiing. There are a handful of people not associated with FOBP, who made it what it is today. The alternatives were not pretty. Sources: again me, I spent a lot of time in meetings.

I speak for myself, I help FOBP teach some avalanche awareness classes. You have beefs you want to address with FOBP, I'm sure someone with a title would be more than happy to answer.

So that's me. I'm pretty passionate about the Berthoud Pass area as it has meant a lot to me over the years. You are right, I shouldn't have dismissed your opinion. I will way that it was stated like fact however.

What I would really like to know is where the idea that the former owners of the ski area used rational economic analysis when deciding to cease operations came from. Honestly, maybe you are right. Maybe I have too much personal baggage to see what really happened. Understand however, that your opinion is not one shared by a majority of the passholders, employees, and skiers of the Fraser River Valley.

I want to hear more from CLSurf on this.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

It's not butt hurt. It's facts. I'll start.

The reason the cat skiing existed was the if the Cipriani's stop operations entirely, they would be required to immediately spend the money to remove the lodge, remove the lifts etc. Sources: FS Clear Creek Ranger District, Director of Accounting for Granby Ranch (can't remember what is was called back then), two ski patroller turn guide friends.

The Forest Service had no interest in transferring the special use permit to another ski area operator. The ski area assets were never offered for sale to the Friends of Berthoud Pass. The lodge had no value. Sources: Me. My name is on the 501(c)3 paperwork and I went to a lot of meetings.

FOBP transitioned into this role years after the the ski area ceased operations. The initial purpose was the preservation of backcountry recreation. Most people are completely unaware of how much forest service opposition there was to backcountry skiing. There are a handful of people not associated with FOBP, who made it what it is today. Sources: again me, I spent a lot of time in meetings.

I speak for myself, I help FOBP teach some avalanche awareness classes. You have beefs you want to address with FOBP, I'm sure someone with a title would be more than happy to answer.

So that's me. I'm pretty passionate about the Berthoud Pass area as it has meant a lot to me over the years. You are right, I shouldn't have dismissed your opinion. I will way that is was stated like fact however.

What I would really like to know is where the idea that the former owners of the ski area used rational economic analysis when deciding to cease operations. Honestly, maybe you are right. Maybe I have too much personal baggage to see what really happened.

I want to hear more from CLSurf on this.
    Well. I won’t detail everything but I was involved.

Purchasing a property or asset does not require the seller to “Offer” it to a seller. It’s generally up to the buyer to Offer to buy. Let’s suffice it to say that I know that the incompetent Brazilians would have sold for nothing just to be out from under it. Hell they paid to take the old building down.

You are right that the forest service management was against continuing the ski resort operation, and that would have taken some effort to secure. But I have no idea where your impression that BC skiing was under threat from the Forest Service. There would be no precedent for banning a non motorized use.

That’s why I feel FOBP missed the mark. They focused on something that was nothing. Kudos for providing the Avy education.

I feel that we all missed an opportunity, but again c’est la vie

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 01-21-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quick update, I-70 is fuct.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I’m saying first of 4 closures in this storm.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    A bunch of people about to miss their flights home...despite the fact its 50+ and sunny in Denver.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	265753

Roads are slippery as dog shit in the summer sun.

No one saw this coming. ....... .

Frisco and trailerthorne will soon turn into parking lots