Page 278 of 465 FirstFirst ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 ... LastLast
Results 6,926 to 6,950 of 11607
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Yes buses are subsidized. 40% covered by fares, aim is to get remaining 60% covered by benefiting ski areas

You know what else is subsidized? Private cars. User fees and taxes (i.e. gas tax, registration etc) pay for 51% of road costs in Colorado.
    I didnt read their biz plan. that is actually listed - ski areas cover 60% eventually? what if riders dont go skiing?

not the same type of subsidies or u dont know what a subsidy is. .here gvmt is competing w private industry and or creating an unfair market.

like i said im not a hater but its not like they created demand out of thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    I didnt read their biz plan. that is actually listed - ski areas cover 60% eventually? what if riders dont go skiing?
    A lot of riders going to take buses that only stop at Abasin, Love and maybe copper that don't go skiing? If they are stopping there, the resort is capturing their money.

not the same type of subsidies or u dont know what a subsidy is. .here gvmt is competing w private industry and or creating an unfair market.
    I count subsidies as anything in which someone's behavior is being subsidized -- i.e. you're not paying the true total costs. Not just direct handouts. Suburban form of development is a classic example. As are environmental externalities not built into price of goods that harm the world. Private car driving is just another.

As for gvmt competing with private industry -- bullshit. There is no private industry which provides regular mass transit to ski areas of Abasin or Loveland from Denver. I know because I've looked. A lot.

Just waited an hour and 20 minutes to get through the stoplight at eastbound 285 and main Street in fairplay. Traffic was backed up for about 12 miles south of town (seriously). The light would let like 4 cars on 285 through, then cycle and stay green for traffic coming from main Street. There was often no cars coming from main Street. People were pissing/shitting on the side of the highway after not moving for 40 minutes.

Called park county dispatch and they said they were aware of the issue but have no control- it's all state patrol and CDOT. Park county said CDOT is "trying to control the flow of traffic on east bound 285 with that light.

They patched me through to state patrol who said the light was working as intended.

Currently sitting in stand still traffic a couple miles west of the loaf n jug light at the top of crow hill. More of the same with that light.

Currently 7 hours into a 4 hour drive and still an hour from home.

try taking main street......

Try not coming back from Crested Butte on a Sunday. You should know better.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Summer Sundays are a complete crapshoot. Sometimes not bad, sometimes miserable. At any time of the day, on both 70 and 285.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

There’s also construction on that section of 285 (it’s been closed during the week), which means people have to slow down to stare at the orange cones as they drive by. Double bonus traffic factor.

Oh my God, I found a pair of Vulcans in Aspen today for 50 bucks and had to pick them up. Fucking Dillon to Golden was 3 hours. Almost saw so many accidents. At least 30 cars broken down on the way up the hill. Summer is a bigger shit show than winter.

So now they’re pretty much metering 285?! Holy fuck.

Summer is a bigger shit show with all the campers, trailers and broken down vehicles. And the much praised express lane did nothing today to ease the pain.

Everyone: "Wouldn't it be nice if more people took 285 to ease the I70 congestion?"

CSP: "The stoplight is working as intended"

Everyone: "I70 it is"
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Try not coming back from Crested Butte on a Sunday. You should know better.

Was coming back from hiking a 14er in the San Juans. I've actually never been to Crested Butte in the summer (crazy, I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I've actually never been to Crested Butte in the summer (crazy, I know).
    You are doing it wrong.

As long as everybody continues to use I-70 and 285...

We left CB at 6:30PM yesterday and cruised back to Denver in 4 hours. The key to dealing with summer traffic in CO is enjoying the day in the mountains on Sunday prior to driving back.

That works in the winter also

Yes, people are programmed to be in such to get back before dinner on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    We left CB at 6:30PM yesterday and cruised back to Denver in 4 hours. The key to dealing with summer traffic in CO is enjoying the day in the mountains on Sunday prior to driving back.
    When it's a day trip the doggo left at home fucks that one up.

Until that doesn't work. I have stayed late in the mountains in the summer and been caught in horrendous traffic.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Until that doesn't work. I have stayed late in the mountains in the summer and been caught in horrendous traffic.
    I’ve also left at noon and had the same thing happen. In the summer, it’s a crapshoot. Fuck I70.

It's the price of outdoor recreation in CO and I, for one, will pay.

This is the same summer and winter. Better *chance* of avoiding a shitshow... but no guarantee. We avoided the shitshow altogether this past weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sangres9.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	289673

You all could move.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You all could move.
    If you all move I’m not getting my regular boost of schadenfreude.

The way I see it is that you might as well enjoy the day and come back late.

One weekend years ago I was up in Steamboat with a group of friends. My GF and I had a condo and the other crew had a big one with 8 people. I get a panicked call from one of them Sunday at 7:30 AM “Have you seen the snow report 35 inches overnight. Please tell me that you are going to stay and ski? Cause these guys are leaving!!”

“Hell yeah Im skiing”. I say. DEEEEEP

The other 7 drove home early so that traffic wouldn’t be bad. WTF!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    The way I see it is that you might as well enjoy the day and come back late.

One weekend years ago I was up in Steamboat with a group of friends. My GF and I had a condo and the other crew had a big one with 8 people. I get a panicked call from one of them Sunday at 7:30 AM “Have you seen the snow report 35 inches overnight. Please tell me that you are going to stay and ski? Cause these guys are leaving!!”

“Hell yeah Im skiing”. I say. DEEEEEP

The other 7 drove home early so that traffic wouldn’t be bad. WTF!?!?

This didn't happen to be Feb 20, 2012, did it? 'Cause that was a good day.