Page 201 of 465 FirstFirst ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 11610
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    More Iconic than Epic, no?
    Ikon is the new Epic. I think Winter Park is going to see a yuuuge increase in skier traffic next year.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Ikon is the new Epic. I think Winter Park is going to see a yuuuge increase in skier traffic next year.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Anti Epic and cheap housing/rentals have helped make WP the old school front ranger destination. New front ranger kids still go epic and don't stay the night.

I70 AND hwy 40 suck on Sunday

Or as it will become known to future generations of traffic: I(70)KON The end game will be when EPIC combines with IKON and EPIKON takes over the world. In this dystopian future, people will simply get into their smart car, which will drive them in 5 hours of traffic to the mountains, where they will then get into a 2 hr lift line. Once reaching the top of the mountain, where they cannot see anything due to increased smog from coal burning ski lifts, they will get in line for the restaurant at the base area. Instead of skiing or taking in beautiful mountain vistas, visitors will be kept entertained by a constant maze of alternating lines before reaching the restaurant where they will be served Soilent Green and a bucket of Bud Light. Once their day is done they will take another 5 hr ride back to be deposited on their Denver doorstep with their credit cards maxed out via RFID chip readers.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Or as it will become known to future generations of traffic: I(70)KON The end game will be when EPIC combines with IKON and EPIKON takes over the world. In this dystopian future, people will simply get into their smart car, which will drive them in 5 hours of traffic to the mountains, where they will then get into a 2 hr lift line. Once reaching the top of the mountain, where they cannot see anything due to increased smog from coal burning ski lifts, they will get in line for the restaurant at the base area. Instead of skiing or taking in beautiful mountain vistas, visitors will be kept entertained by a constant maze of alternating lines before reaching the restaurant where they will be served Soilent Green and a bucket of Bud Light. Once their day is done they will take another 5 hr ride back to be deposited on their Denver doorstep with their credit cards maxed out via RFID chip readers.
    Sounds groovy man

Not sure WTF happened on Saturday but we left Boulder at about 6:00, snow all the way, hit some slow spots between Idaho springs and Georgetown, but nothing too bad. No traffic the rest of the way to Vail. Figured being that it snowed all day the drive home would be one for the record books. Got on I-70 at about 4:30, snowy but no traffic over vail pass, kept waiting for it but it never built. Easiest drive I've had in years. Where the hell was everyone?

Saw several awd/4wd vehicles having a hard time going up the east bound side of Vail and Eisenhower in the morning, luckily we were heading west.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Not sure WTF happened on Saturday but we left Boulder at about 6:00, snow all the way, hit some slow spots between Idaho springs and Georgetown, but nothing too bad. No traffic the rest of the way to Vail. Figured being that it snowed all day the drive home would be one for the record books. Got on I-70 at about 4:30, snowy but no traffic over vail pass, kept waiting for it but it never built. Easiest drive I've had in years. Where the hell was everyone?

Saw several awd/4wd vehicles having a hard time going up the east bound side of Vail and Eisenhower in the morning, luckily we were heading west.
    Copper was so dead on Saturday too. 10 mile canyon was a bit messy but the rest of the drive was groovy considering the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    Copper was so dead on Saturday too. 10 mile canyon was a bit messy but the rest of the drive was groovy considering the conditions.
    Is copper getting less crowded lately? It seems like winter park hits a new record of people each weekend and I'm thinking of switching.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Is copper getting less crowded lately? It seems like winter park hits a new record of people each weekend and I'm thinking of switching.
    I don't know about that. It was plenty busy at the busy lifts at Main Village / Timberline yesterday. Definitely not "less" than past years.

I think a lot of people believe WP helps avoid some of the i70 fuckery. I suppose it does avoid a bit of it, but it adds it's own fuckery too. And WP doesn't have as many unbusy lifts as Copper. I've never seen a line at Reso or Alpine at copper, can't think of a similar lift with decent terrain at WP.

A, Resolution, Blackjack and Mtn Chief usually have no waits.
    Sierra, Excel, Storm King and Bee can have 5-10 minute waits, no big deal.

I heard there were backups from the top of BP down to I70 yesterday - fake news or true story? My high water mark is the Jones Pass turnoff , from the summit down would be impressive!

WP sure loves to promote their bump capitol shtick. Can't form those trademark bumps unless you pack it to the gills with people!

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    A, Resolution, Blackjack and Mtn Chief usually have no waits.
    Sierra, Excel, Storm King and Bee can have 5-10 minute waits, no big deal.

I heard there were backups from the top of BP down to 70/40 yesterday - fake news or true story? My high water mark is the Jones Pass turnoff down to 40, from the summit down would be impressive!

WP sure loves to promote their bump capitol shtick. Can't form those trademark bumps unless you pack it to the gills with people!
    Not the summit, try the beginning of the pass yesterday... It was about an hour from the beginning to end of the pass. It seemed like everyone was stuck behind a CDOT plow but there was no snow on the road.

The worst I ever experienced on BP was on a 4th July weekend a few years back. I took the dogs for a hike up Butler Gulch. Left the Gulch at what I thought was reasonable (before noon). When I hit 40, it took 1.5 hours to Empire. Then another hour to get past Idaho Springs. I learned to really hate diesel trucks.

Copper was busy, I had a line to wait in at Reso on 2 of 3 rides. Only about 5-10 minutes, but still a line. The real fuckery was the 5 hour trip home. Left at 2:45, Golden at 7:45. We made the mistake of trying LL pass upon seeing the parking lot West tunnel approach. Poor call with CDOT ruining the show under the slide paths. Stop and go from 1 mile shy of A basin all the way to Silver Plume. Brutal. At least there were some soft turns I Spaulding yesterday, along with base eating sharks. But 7 hours of driving for, 5ish hours of skiing...I know, I did it wrong and know better...

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Traffic is stop and go from half way down BP to WP all the way to Empire most Sundays. Mass exodus. Fraser must be really quiet on Monday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post

strange but true, most people don't like skiing when it's snowing really hard
    go figure
    the shit show did arrive on sunday for the blue bird skies and mashed up left over poweder

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Fraser must be really quiet on Monday afternoon.
    It is.

In the background here is the Panoramic at about 10am this morning. Mostly empty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8499.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	224005

The trip over Loveland Pass from Keystone to Loveland ski area topped 1.5 hours yesterday afternoon. Seemed like a good time to hang at the 6th alley and watch the Olympics.
    I'm so hot right now!

Quote Originally Posted by hairy asshole View Post
    The trip over Loveland Pass from Keystone to Loveland ski area topped 1.5 hours yesterday afternoon. Seemed like a good time to hang at the 6th alley and watch the Olympics.
    Just wait until next Monday - Holiday traffic and snow (according to Gratz).

I passed a CDOT (I think, it was orange and was watching the road) heavy tow truck towing a tow truck towing a truck. Conditions weren't ideal for a pic, but this isn't the first time I have seen. This time they had a trailing truck with merge arrow though.

Drove up Friday night, skied beaver creek Saturday and Sunday, left beaver creek at 7 Home by 9:45, 30 minute delay to the tunnel, but after that not too bad, about 45 minutes longer than normal. All in all a fantastic weekend storm,skiing on Saturday and blue bird and cold snow on Sunday!

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

I hadn’t come back to Denver on a Sunday night in a few years. Last night was beyond ridiculous. I don’t know how people do that every week. At 6:30, it took 90 mins to go the 8 miles from Silverthorne to the Tunnel. The metering is fucking enraging. I understand they don’t want vehicles idling in the tunnel but once you got through the stop light, it was smooth all the way to Bakersville (so what’s the point?). Then it was a 30 mph crawl to Idaho Springs even with the toll lane, until it opened up and then an abrupt dead stop for an hour because of the roll over at Lookout. Hope they are ok cause their car looked fuuuuucked up.

What are the circumstances that make them meter and when does it occur?

Don't you posters remember what it was like before metering? Fucking total shit show with Loveland traffic coming back on. Brakes on the second you got out of the tunnel and all the way down the hill to Bakerville. They fixed that. If you head east on Sunday expect metering from at least 11am to 6pm. Welcome to Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Don't you posters remember what it was like before metering? Fucking total shit show with Loveland traffic coming back on. Brakes on the second you got out of the tunnel and all the way down the hill to Bakerville. They fixed that. If you head east on Sunday expect metering from at least 11am to 6pm. Welcome to Colorado.
    They basically have moved the shitshow to the west of the tunnel. What if your car breaks down or someone has a medical emergency? You’re fucked.

And EB Loveland Pass isn’t even an option to get around it anymore as it backs up to ABasin or Keystone. Used to work years ago.

I could definitely see lots of people say fuck Epic. Go with Ikon and Winter Park just to avoid the metering.

285 from Breck back to Denver. Get with it brah! It's really not that bad.