Page 202 of 465 FirstFirst ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,050 of 11607
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    They basically have moved the shitshow to the west of the tunnel. What if your car breaks down or someone has a medical emergency? You’re fucked.

And EB Loveland Pass isn’t even an option to get around it anymore as it backs up to ABasin or Keystone. Used to work years ago.

I could definitely see lots of people say fuck Epic. Go with Ikon and Winter Park just to avoid the metering.
    winter park was that cool alternative its now epicly fucked and only going to get worse because everyone is thinking no one hangs out in winter park

and having a cluster fuck on the way up to the tunnel is much better than a cluster fuck on the east side of the tunnel, why people don't get off the highway and have dinner and chill out is beyond me then again what do I know since I don't have wifi tv or any of that shit in my car that makes it feel like a living room

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    winter park was that cool alternative its now epicly fucked and only going to get worse because everyone is thinking no one hangs out in winter park

and having a cluster fuck on the way up to the tunnel is much better than a cluster fuck on the east side of the tunnel, why people don't get off the highway and have dinner and chill out is beyond me then again what do I know since I don't have wifi tv or any of that shit in my car that makes it feel like a living room
    We did chill and have dinner and it still was bad. In fact, per CDOT, the tunnel metering ended at like 8 last night.

285 is great, especially if they made it a real highway

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    why people don't get off the highway and have dinner and chill out is beyond me
    Because typical American peeps want chain restaurants and the Chipotle in Silverthorne can only fit so many and their Wi-Fi sucks.

That metering has really fucked the breck/copper/Vail skiers in the ass.
    Guess that’s why they’re all going to WP now

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

If you are at Breck on Sunday it’s probably best to just take 285

Don’t do 285. Hoosier Pass is deadly, above tree line most of the way, hugging cliffs with no guard rails, often zero visibility, always snowy and super steep. 285 is guaranteed to be ground blizzards, one of the most dangerous highways in Co. people get blown off of that highway, buried in wind drifts and not found until spring. It’s a true white knuckle drive, better play it safe and get in line on I-70.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Don’t do 285. Hoosier Pass is deadly, above tree line most of the way, hugging cliffs with no guard rails, often zero visibility, always snowy and super steep. 285 is guaranteed to be ground blizzards, one of the most dangerous highways in Co. people get blown off of that highway, buried in wind drifts and not found until spring. It’s a true white knuckle drive, better play it safe and get in line on I-70.
    Don’t forget the grizzly bears on Kenosha that wait for unsuspecting tourons to pull over to take a pic

I know you're being facetious -- but fuck if 285 between Fairplay and Kenosha wasn't as butt puckering a drive as I've had with blowing snow and gusts up to 50mph. Probably being in a lifted van didn't help. While I trust myself in shit conditions more than I70 bozos, there are still plenty of bozos driving down on 285.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I know you're being facetious -- but fuck if 285 between Fairplay and Kenosha wasn't as butt puckering a drive as I've had with blowing snow and gusts up to 50mph. Probably being in a lifted van didn't help. While I trust myself in shit conditions more than I70 bozos, there are still plenty of bozos driving down on 285.
    There's going to be bozos everywhere, it's just something we have to deal with. Luckily for me, on 285, they have always found the icy spots and warned me of them by placing their cars in the ditch next to the highway. That road is actually a little scarier in the summer when people feel invincible and have to pass everyone going less than 5-10 over the speed limit just because they have to be in front, never mind that there isn't a "front" on those days. I've seen some nasty accidents on that road, during the winter people at least tend to do less passing.

I prefer Webster Pass. Zero traffic on that route all winter.

There's going to be bozos everywhere, it's just something we have to deal with. Luckily for me, on 285, they have always found the icy spots and warned me of them by placing their cars in the ditch next to the highway. That road is actually a little scarier in the summer when people feel invincible and have to pass everyone going less than 5-10 over the speed limit just because they have to be in front, never mind that there isn't a "front" on those days. I've seen some nasty accidents on that road, during the winter people at least tend to do less passing.
    Yeah, I love the assholes who tailgate you going 65, pass on a double yellow line and barely miss a head on. That road is sketchy as fuck.

They basically have moved the shitshow to the west of the tunnel. What if your car breaks down or someone has a medical emergency? You’re fucked.

And EB Loveland Pass isn’t even an option to get around it anymore as it backs up to ABasin or Keystone. Used to work years ago.

I could definitely see lots of people say fuck Epic. Go with Ikon and Winter Park just to avoid the metering.
    Ikon/Winter Park is the way to go. Loveland sucks. Its flat, cold, and windy.

I’ve seen more than one wrx upside down off the side of Kenosha. Long way down in some spots. I’ve seen some numb nut winter tailgaters too. Last one was a red forerunner maybe 2015ish with a 2 inch lift. Some people think they’re going to get back to Denver in the same time as a bare dry open i70. Just not gonna happen, plan at least an extra half hour, could be an extra hour easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I’ve seen more than one wrx upside down off the side of Kenosha. Long way down in some spots. I’ve seen some numb nut winter tailgaters too. Last one was a red forerunner maybe 2015ish with a 2 inch lift. Some people think they’re going to get back to Denver in the same time as a bare dry open i70. Just not gonna happen, plan at least an extra half hour, could be an extra hour easily.
    I remember a few years ago I was driving to Crested butte. Roads were snow packed but seemed pretty safe to go around 35-40 mph. I came to the turn at the bottom of Kenosha pass and there was a good 20 - 30 cars in various ditches at the side of the road. I hit the brakes and managed to slow down safely. Car in front of me starts fishtailing all over the road and flies off into the ditch. There was 1 tow truck there for the dozens of cars in various fucked up situations. A cop showed up and almost slid off the road in his cruiser but managed to safely pull off onto the side.

I went to Crested butte and shredded pow for 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I remember a few years ago I was driving to Crested butte. Roads were snow packed but seemed pretty safe to go around 35-40 mph. I came to the turn at the bottom of Kenosha pass and there was a good 20 - 30 cars in various ditches at the side of the road. I hit the brakes and managed to slow down safely. Car in front of me starts fishtailing all over the road and flies off into the ditch. There was 1 tow truck there for the dozens of cars in various fucked up situations. A cop showed up and almost slid off the road in his cruiser but managed to safely pull off onto the side.

I went to Crested butte and shredded pow for 4 days.
    It’s almost commical how many people can’t do the simple math of down hill + snow + turn + slamming the brakes = ditch. “But I have an SUV!”

A couple numb nuts blew past me dropping into Vail on Saturday, expected to see em in the ditch but they got away this time.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Ikon/Winter Park is the way to go. Loveland sucks. Its flat, cold, and windy.
    Agree. Boring terrain, everything is always sastrugi and it’s super flat.

And there’s no shopping or a nice lodge.

Yeah, I love the assholes who tailgate you going 65, pass on a double yellow line and barely miss a head on. That road is sketchy as fuck.
    That is my experience every time we go that way. Suicidal fucks on that road but it goes to CB, Silverton, and T ride.

My 15 year old has never skied in Summit county. Taught him to ski when he was 5. I figure I need to leave him something to explore when he moves out.

Agree. Boring terrain, everything is always sastrugi and it’s super flat.

And there’s no shopping or a nice lodge.
    Everything you say is true. I skied Loveland for 5 years and that place really does blow, and I don't mean that ironically or sarcastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Everything you say is true. I skied Loveland for 5 years and that place really does blow, and I don't mean that ironically or sarcastically.
    And they don’t allow bootlicking to get The Ridge open earlier. Plus no bars on the lifts! How does someone get a rest!

Yeah. It's like Eldora in that way. I mean, I'm glad people like them... but... sheesh.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    My 15 year old has never skied in Summit county. Taught him to ski when he was 5. I figure I need to leave him something to explore when he moves out.

SC >\<=Community College

Yeah I really don’t get the appeal of Loveland.

The terrain for the most part is not that good and the only good terrain is rarely open due to patrol / management issues. ABasin is a mile away and has had Pali open since the end of December.

Also I do not appreciate the old school slow lifts. I realize people jokingly mentioned that but I do not find slow lifts appealing. A slow lift means less time skiing and more time wasted on a slow ass lift in the wind. That is a step backwards in comfort and convenience imho.

I will still ski Loveland sometimes but I would never buy Loveland as my only pass.

Because (compared to Abasin)

- Lift 1 steeps are still fun. Yeah, they're not quite pali in variety, but still about 900-1000' of consistent fall line ski.
    - Snow conditions are almost always as good or better.
    - Beer in the lodge is significantly cheaper.
    - On hill warming shacks where I can grill my own brat for lunch or drink my own beer.
    - Useful lifts are no slower than Pali / Lenawee / etc. Compared to 1, 9, 4.

Most importantly
    - No Epic hoards. Everytime I"ve been at Abasin on the weekend I'm standing in 5-10 minute lines for Pali. More time standing in lift line means more time not skiing. To say nothing of the parking shit show, and every drunk bro who thinks he's the shit.
    - Better access to I70. No fucking tunnel. No pass to content with. Yeah, they are only 7mi apart. But the difference in getting home on a weekend day can be an hour easily.

As a weekeday skier, sure. I'd take Abasin most the time. For the logistics to quality of skiing for a weekender, Loveland makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Because (compared to Abasin)

- Lift 1 steeps are still fun. Yeah, they're not quite pali in variety, but still about 900-1000' of consistent fall line ski.
    - Snow conditions are almost always as good or better.
    - Beer in the lodge is significantly cheaper.
    - On hill warming shacks where I can grill my own brat for lunch or drink my own beer.
    - Useful lifts are no slower than Pali / Lenawee / etc. Compared to 1, 9, 4.

Most importantly
    - No Epic hoards. Everytime I"ve been at Abasin on the weekend I'm standing in 5-10 minute lines for Pali. More time standing in lift line means more time not skiing. To say nothing of the parking shit show, and every drunk bro who thinks he's the shit.
    - Better access to I70. No fucking tunnel. No pass to content with. Yeah, they are only 7mi apart. But the difference in getting home on a weekend day can be an hour easily.

As a weekeday skier, sure. I'd take Abasin most the time. For the logistics to quality of skiing for a weekender, Loveland makes a lot of sense.
    Dobe has no idea what he's talking about. Loveland blows. Windy as fuck. Snow sucks. Lifts you can skin faster than. Food makes you sick. No good beers in the bar. Parking is crowded and you have to shuttle from the valley. I-70 noise.

Stay epic. You'll thank me. No...really.

ha, you can pretend Loveland sucks on here, but this is TGR forums and most of the people who will read this have been there and know what's up. That said, I still don't get why more people don't buy passes there.

Like for reals, fuck the I-70 drive. Loveland seems like it's the tits for anyone living East of Evergreen, and who actually likes skiing, and doesn't care about being in the "Bro-Zone" every weekend.