Page 239 of 465 FirstFirst ... 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 5,975 of 11607
    Conceptually, you can imagine each semi going 25 in the right lane as a rolling lane closure that requires all traffic to merge left and pass like a compacted viscous fluid going now more slowly than whatever the slowest passing speed of the passing formerly right lane driver was. If that speed is 30, then it is the equivalent of a construction lane closure 1000ft in length with a 30mph limit in the lane closure. Now put one of these closures (slow trucks) every mile and it is only natural that speeds slow severely in even mild traffic with many 25mph trucks on a two lane highway and naturally grind to 25-30 if heavy traffic. It is the way traffic works.

When you have a truck passing at 26 a truck that was doing 25, the length of the effective construction lane closure grows to 3/4 of a mile while the speed obviously drops to 26 and traffic compresses further.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    conceptually, you can imagine each semi going 25 in the right lane as a rolling lane closure that requires all traffic to merge left and pass like a compacted viscous fluid going now more slowly than whatever the slowest passing speed of the formerly right lane driver was. If that speed is 30, then it is the equivalent of a construction lane closure 1000ft in length with a 30mph limit in the lane closure. Now put one of these every mile and it is only natural that speeds slow severely in even mild traffic with many 25mph trucks on a two lane highway and naturally grind to 25-30 if heavy traffic. It is the way traffic works.
    Exactly. The rolling closures are infuriating but part of life on I70.

I think what you guys are really saying is that we need better trucks and better truck drivers. We need more cranked out cowboys from out in the patch with the hammer down on a Freightshaker, not some half stoned city boy in a day cap or a bunch of OTRs from the sunbelt. Good trucks with good drivers all chain up ain't gonna slow anything down.

I do see the point of using the road most efficiently in terms of maximizing traffic throughput involves having traffic segregated by speed.

So that means no passenger vehicles with all season tires during peak travel with snowstorms. Sorry Charley...
    It might also mean no trucks over a certain GVW during peak traffic. (Plenty of lighter loaded trucks can climb at 55). Knowing this ahead of time allows professionals to plan ahead. I'm sure those truckers hate sitting in traffic burning their federally limited daily driving hours not making many miles of progress.

I'm thinking in terms of efficiency and triage here. Being smart about the use of a shared resource would reduce the burden on all and reduce the "need" to piss public money on half-toll-lanes-that-can-sometimes-be-used-and-barely-help.

Of course one could also say that creating an much stronger incentive for carpooling would also help.

Oh well, I'm fine with it as is since the bottleneck kinda sorta caps the influx into the highcountry at a certain level of insanity.

I'm going to buy a bunch of cones and go out on the night before the next powder day and create some fake construction zones to slow people down and cause a hudge clusterfuck.

I70 is a self limiting valve that closes as needed when volume exceeds a certain amount. Most of the time it isn't the weather that closes the road, it is the crashes. If you could stop people from crashing, you'd make the biggest improvement. Better than toll lanes, limiting trucks, more lanes, trains, monorails, etc.

Sounds like a good job for autonomous cars.

You mean anti freedom pods. Murica don't want those.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Most of the time it isn't the weather that closes the road, it is the crashes. If you could stop people from crashing, you'd make the biggest improvement.
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Wait, what?
    You heard me, stop crashing!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sounds like a good job for autonomous cars.

Imagine when every franger and gaper as far away as Kansas City can get in their self-driving car with fold down seats the night before a powder day and wake up at the base area.

Imagine when every franger can get in their self-driving car with fold down seats the night before a powder day and wake up at Big Sky or Jackson.
    Fixed it for me!

Imagine when every franger and gaper as far away as Kansas City can get in their self-driving car with fold down seats the night before a powder day and wake up at the base area.
    I would proudly be that gaper. The ability to own acres of land, a nice large house, and the low cost of living east of i25 coupled with the ability to just hit the hay and wake up at the base area. Sounds like a dream. You think you'd be liable for dui with autonomous cars if shit goes south?

I'm going to buy a bunch of cones and go out on the night before the next powder day and create some fake construction zones to slow people down and cause a hudge clusterfuck.
    Brilliant.

My car will have a bar, kitchen, bathroom, and a very comfortable adjustable king sized bed. Probably hire a hot maid to clean up after me too.

Let the shitshow begin.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

Drove west on I70 yesterday morning through blizzard-like conditions, could barely see two cars ahead. I look to my left as I pass a slow car in the left lane and she’s texting. WTF is wrong with people?

She was posting to her Instagram Story. How are people supposed to know she's going to ski if she doesn't post the journey?

WB looked real bad at the tunnel around 830 this morning... the skiing was good

Hudge line of cars on hwy 6 this morning. They all took a left to go to Keystone. Basin was empty, and buttery smooth. They really should close the pass more often. They bombed the Professor and it had a substantial R2 slide that went as low as the switchback.

Man, you Coloradan’s are miserable A-holes.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    We try

Hudge line of cars on hwy 6 this morning. They all took a left to go to Keystone. Basin was empty, and buttery smooth. They really should close the pass more often. They bombed the Professor and it had a substantial R2 slide that went as low as the switchback.
    Scary. Saw a baby slide on the pass a few weeks ago that was undoubtedly skier triggered, covered the i70 bound lane. I can't help but get sketched out when I see tracks on the proff.

True story.

its a talent

I'm on city side of the valve today, and need to pass thru. Looks like LuvPass is closed, so.. the Hazmats.
    I'm just gonna dive in, and take a few board games with.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs