Page 277 of 465 FirstFirst ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,925 of 11607
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Only 10 million skiers in the US. In the future, when there are robocars and there is only skiing in the highest mountain west, if just 5% of skiers want to ski on a given day... Attachment 288583
    I fucking love this picture. Is the location known?

The Basin on July 4th.

And I can't begin to fathom the infrastructure needed for our robocars. Will they park, loop in endless circles until rider returns, or do they just go on their merry way?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The Basin on July 4th.

Nice. No thanks, but power to those souls.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    And I can't begin to fathom the infrastructure needed for our robocars. Will they park, loop in endless circles until rider returns, or do they just go on their merry way?
    Park on some neighborhood side street 15 minutes away.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I was thinking more at ski areas.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You're looking at the wrong mfg'r. Tesla blusters a lot... check Waymo. They are actual self-driving vehicles.
    ah...but no thanks. watched a video of a waymo van in traffic, making a left isnt their strong suit

but i typically love driving so what do i know.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I was thinking more at ski areas.
    So was I

Lip to through the neighborhood at 5mph all day

Yeah that shit will last about a week before every NIMBY in towns shuts that robocar parking down.

Let alone this glossing over the concept of a robocar driving your ass through a snowstorm.
    Live Free or Die

Hoping the Skimaid's Tale that Summit described is a bit further out than we might think...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/b...mous-cars.html

A year ago, Detroit and Silicon Valley had visions of putting thousands of self-driving taxis on the road in 2019, ushering in an age of driverless cars.
    Most of those cars have yet to arrive — and it is likely to be years before they do. Several carmakers and technology companies have concluded that making autonomous vehicles is going to be harder, slower and costlier than they thought.
    “We overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles,” Ford’s chief executive, Jim Hackett, said at the Detroit Economic Club in April.
    --
    Mr. Salesky said Argo and many competitors had developed about 80 percent of the technology needed to put self-driving cars into routine use — the radar, cameras and other sensors that can identify objects far down roads and highways. But the remaining 20 percent, including developing software that can reliably anticipate what other drivers, pedestrians and cyclists are going to do, will be much more difficult, he said.
    ---
    In the future, powder days might turn out to be the best days to drive "manually" and ski while all the self driving cars (which can't operate without seeing the lane lines) will be grounded.

OFFICIAL I70 BITCH THREAD....

They would be very useful for dropping you off at one trailhead and picking you up at another.
    The Aspen/CB hike will be even more popular as will mtn bike rides like the Monarch Crest. No need to pay money for a shuttle. Hell, you could go hut to hut in the winter and have your robocar waiting for you 50 miles from where you started.

Ugh, I hope they go away.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Yeah that shit will last about a week before every NIMBY in towns shuts that robocar parking down.

Let alone this glossing over the concept of a robocar driving your ass through a snowstorm.
    If it is one that clips you on a rail and slings you up the mountain, it'll be no problem. And it takes up less space than a monorail.

At least we’re not dealing with this:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/video/video-...er-64105029747

An asphalt truck spilled hot asphalt on I70 just W of Wolcott covering the road for at least 100 yards with the shit. All visibility lost as the vehicle in front of me sprayed my car, I fishtailed a bit decelerating enough not to hit the guy slamming on brakes in front of me fishtailing like driving on marbles while not braking too hard such that the semi behind me would hit me. I came out intact, and called Eagle dispatch to warn them. My tires were coated in asphalt and I assume the underbody. I think my paint is pretty shredded from the brief cellphone light inspection. It was weird listening to my car shed asphalt for the next 20 miles. My car now has a weird vibration really noticeable above 60mph like a wheel is out of balance.

I assume the asphalt truck was for the huge I70 paving projects in Vail / Vail Pass that was going on tonight. Do I call CDOT or what?

Do I call CDOT or what?
    I would. Assuming in the chaos you didn't see which truck it was, they should be able to easily find out who showed up missing their asphalt.

Required by law to secure their load. They didn't and it caused 'unintentional damage' to your whip, that driver/company should be on the hook for damages, right?

But then, I gotta assume they'll stonewall you.
    Worth a try?

An asphalt truck spilled hot asphalt on I70 just W of Wolcott covering the road for at least 100 yards with the shit. All visibility lost as the vehicle in front of me sprayed my car, I fishtailed a bit decelerating enough not to hit the guy slamming on brakes in front of me fishtailing like driving on marbles while not braking too hard such that the semi behind me would hit me. I came out intact, and called Eagle dispatch to warn them. My tires were coated in asphalt and I assume the underbody. I think my paint is pretty shredded from the brief cellphone light inspection. It was weird listening to my car shed asphalt for the next 20 miles. My car now has a weird vibration really noticeable above 60mph like a wheel is out of balance.

I assume the asphalt truck was for the huge I70 paving projects in Vail / Vail Pass that was going on tonight. Do I call CDOT or what?
    You should call your insurance agent

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

That really was terrifying. When the viz went, had no idea how long the spill was, though I might sail right off the road as it curved... at least the Subaru is driveable.

Looking today in the light, asphalt everywhere.... windshield and front end are pitted, lots of parts of the car are coated, especially underbody and wheel wells. I think stuff embedded in the tires are why it is vibrating.

Called Eagle Co today said they had many 911 calls, but nobody was injured.

Called CDOT and they were very apologetic, glad nobody was hurt, and said they would handle the responsibility through the state claims line, so off to fill out a web form.

SnowStang is happening. $25 round trip to Loveland and Abasin. https://theknow.denverpost.com/2019/...9IjRj1xmQkeU90

Should be popular. Only scheduled to run 40 days this year.

^^^ nice!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    SnowStang is happening. $25 round trip to Loveland and Abasin. https://theknow.denverpost.com/2019/...9IjRj1xmQkeU90

Should be popular. Only scheduled to run 40 days this year.
    That is what you call a test run. Bustangs popularity has grown enough that SS will probably be 140 days next year.

Why is it a surprise that subsidized bus fares on i 70 to popular destinations is well, a surprise?

not to be a hater and all...

Yes buses are subsidized. 40% covered by fares, aim is to get remaining 60% covered by benefiting ski areas

You know what else is subsidized? Private cars. User fees and taxes (i.e. gas tax, registration etc) pay for 51% of road costs in Colorado.

Motherfucking mudslide near Glenwood.

Ride through the mud, not around, so as not to widen the road.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy