Page 7 of 465 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    ^^^pretty much. The weekends tend to be change over days meaning lots of traffic on the roads around the weekends. Spring break is like Christmas, the tourists are everywhere except where you want to ski. The lodges, parking lots, grocery stores, rec center etc. are packed. The good ski terrain and lifts, not so much. Don't forget that DPS, Jeffco and Cherry Creek all have spring break too.

Don't forget that what, 66% of the resorts out there don't require I-80. I'd also bet that the ones up I-80 attract a higher percentage of tourists than locals so it's probably closer to 20% of ski traffic uses that highway.

Compare that to probably 95% of Denver's ski traffic using I-70. Which has the added fun of a mountain pass with a big ass tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Don't forget that DPS, Jeffco and Cherry Creek all have spring break too.
    FYI... JeffCo's spring break is next week. So are St. Vrain, Boulder County, and Adams 12. It's not going to be pretty up there.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FYI... JeffCo's spring break is next week. So are St. Vrain, Boulder County, and Adams 12. It's not going to be pretty up there.
    been busy in CB the last week or two, it's been a texan invasion here. We NEED snow bad too, at least you guys are getting it up north unlike us.

I80 in CA is a better comparison. Just like I explained earlier (and others here).

I80 is bad during BIG storms, but not nearly as bad as i70. Difference is, during storms a CHP stops every car, looks at the car, tires & driver, and then makes a judgement call on who can make it over the summit. Generally, the only traffic is for this chain control stop then its slow going over the summit...

What you dont have is jack-knifed trucks due to lack of chains, spun out wrxs due to street tires, etc...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    been busy in CB the last week or two, it's been a texan invasion here. We NEED snow bad too, at least you guys are getting it up north unlike us.
    I'll trade your terrain for our snow and people. If you like bumps in the trees, this is the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Add DougCo to that list too. Should be a busy one!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

^yeah I have friends from littleton, boulder, etc all asking to stay in my tiny apartment for the week. It's definitely on everyone's mind to come up right now. haha

total ice capades this morning total sheet of ice knarly just tapped the breaks and got her alittle sideways
    the kansans were left laneing it hard at 25mph
    raillied the rwd even passed some gaper on swany most fun I had all day

thanks for the heads up on spring break next week looks like an 80 hr work week is in order to hide

Was heading down to the 303 this morning around 5:30.....one truck with no chains jackknifed westbound. Those guys HAVE to be fined an amount that hurts.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Was heading down to the 303 this morning around 5:30.....one truck with no chains jackknifed westbound. Those guys HAVE to be fined an amount that hurts.
    Reading your posts in the weather/I-70 thread?

That's one way to do it....
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    That's one way to do it....
    I'm off ignore?

What a fucking disaster. It doesn't snow and everyones pissed. It does snow and the road is so fucked you can't go skiing from the front range. I guess that's why I was at about 6 days a year (with a kid) when we peaced out. Hopefully they do chain restrictions and that solves it. I think it would at least make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Um, no, the weekends are busy as fuck right now, as is the middle of the week. A late Easter, combined with a healthy snowpack and many resorts extending their closing dates means it ain't gonna slow down soon either. Good for the economy, but kind of exhausting. I'm looking forward to things slowing down. It's already been a long, busy winter.

This has definitely been a rough season for the I70 corridor. Hope it'll end up spurring some good changes for the future.
    I never said weekends weren't busy in Summit; this is a thread devoted to I-70 traffic, and my post was directed entirely towards weekend traffic that affects Front range weekend skiers, which is not directly related to the amount of people skiing in Summit. It will be busy as fuck in Summit during Spring Break, of course. But "Spring Break" as a ski resort phenomenon is very different than I-70 traffic. And in any case, what you've seen so far this season on I-70 doesn't necessarily translate to what will happen this weekend on I-70. I don't have a crystal ball, but after many years of doing the weekend warrior thing, traffic patterns are fairly consistent. This year has definitely seen more than the usual amount of clusterfucks, but otherwise has followed traditional patterns. Late March weekend traffic is not nearly as bad as mid-season weekend traffic, unless there is significant new snow.

I'm not saying there won't be any traffic this weekend, but I expect that it won't be very bad. The following weekend will be even lighter (again, assuming no significant snow).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Very true. Traffic is usually dictated by weekend warriors trying to make their purchased pass count. Chances are, they're close to it, so nice weather in Denver trumps skiing.

That, and the skiing pretty much sucks right now (OK, that's an overstatement but it sucks compared to a month ago) so people aren't going to waste their time when it's starting to get nice down in town.

Tunnel closed again at noon on Saturday. Wonder why?

Not that we need 15 i70 threads, but there were a lot of good ideas in the other i70 thread, That was in ski/snowboard, this seems like the more appropriate spot...

I think contacting cdot does work. The only reason they would be considering 4wd law is because of public input. But that will never pass, for some valid reasons, so I think we might as well push for snow tire/chain law.

Several people have mentioned big storms. Deep slush is certainly an obstacle, but all it takes imo is 1/16th of an inch of glare ice. I think that is why lots of various people feel they can make it through, is that "it won't be a big storm so I will be fine." Then the cars heat the road, it freezes, and done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.22.14.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	153091

Certainly not a big storm, and the road is hosed.

http://www.cotrip.org/contactUs.htm

Thurs and Fri CDOT will have temporary closures of both lanes of 70 at TT. I timed it right today and WB was a breeze but EB was 1 lane and backed up for a long way.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

And the pass is closed due to an accident
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

And in Silverthorne bc of multiple accidents...it seems like this has happened before?

I feel like 70 has closed more this year than Loveland Pass.

agree. it's a disgrace.

No doubt in my mind it's worse this year than previous.

So pud conditions tonight for a cluster fuck. I ended up driving the right ditch/sholder for about half mile and going over Loveland.

About four inches around 7pm and coverage was the same from the tol to past A-basin.

I70 closed right now and loveland pass closed,
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Poor babies, you are the problem.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague